T540 XP Mark I is being a little nightmare.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Problem: Hard to start, won't hold an idle, bogs under throttle and promptly dies.

Attempted Solutions: Replaced the fuel line and filter. Checked the impulse line - it's intact. Had our supplier update the Auto-tune firmware - they reported back that they got it back running normally and holding a consistent idle. Took it out on the job today and everyone was having the same issues with it again - hard start, nervous idle, and usually died with any throttle and always died at full throttle. Never got it to run long enough to attempt a cut.

I'm about to start poking at it in a warm shop so I'll add an edit if anything changes there. That being said it wasn't even that cold out today, maybe around around 35 - 40 degrees.

I'm thinking the carbaurator needs to be cleaned out - I haven't attempted disassembling a carb with the auto tune brains attached before, so I'm not sure if that's a good call or not. Maybe a gasket is worn out and sucking air somewhere?

Anyways I am beyond frustrated with this saw. Almost enough to go back to the supplier and ask them how tf they coaxed it into running "normally". Figured I would come here and beg for suggestions first.

:/

I would have guessed air leak somewhere but I know nothing about saws with auto tune so i'm no help, I like my saws old school.
Almost enough to go back to the supplier and ask them how tf they coaxed it into running "normally". Figured I would come here and beg for suggestions first.
Oh I think you should go back and do just that.

I would have guessed air leak somewhere but I know nothing about saws with auto tune so i'm no help, I like my saws old school.
From my understanding auto-tune is only responsible for adjusting fuel mixtures to accommodate for conditions (cough ... lazy maintenance habits ... cough) but it would make sense - and this is just a guess really - if there was a loss of compression somewhere past the carb then the auto-tune can't make a difference. That's with the assumption that the firmware update and diagnostics tool revealed that the carb was functioning properly.

Oh I think you should go back and do just that.
yeah...i should. ill have to figure out a midwest nice way of asking where they are hiding the starter fluid.

Back