Table I built on my favorite trail

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All working now...

This has happened before and I found the settings "were" set at public already. What took me so long is I couldn't remember how to get to my video list "with" the edit up in the corner, I could get to my list, but didn't have an edit option to click on. I found I had to search video manager youtube, then click the link to get to the right page.

Urrgh!

This one goes with the ripping videos.

Coyote Lake.

So that's all five tables I've built so far, more next year I'm sure. The table is a copy of the ones at Ershim Lake built by the Forest Service, the dimensions are as follows.

Base logs...17" across by 7' long.
Bench...12" across by 10' feet long.
Risers...12" across by 3' long.
Table top...12" across by 10' long.

On the early ones I ripped the top of the base logs, and top and bottom of the risers, then cut a flat spot on the bottom of the benches and table tops (like the Forest Service did). Coyote was the first one I didn't do that on, because I was by myself and it was wearing me out. It's 56 feet of ripping if you do it the Forest Service way, 30 feet of ripping if you do it the way the last three were done. Plus, cutting out the flat sections on the bottom of the benches and table tops is time consuming too.

On the ripping cuts I use a 36" bar on the chain saw, and keep most of it in the cut at an angle. This keeps the cut straighter, if you used a bar that just reaches straight across the log you would have a lot of wiggling. Or even worse, if the bar doesn't reach across perpendicular, you have nose marks and mis matched cuts.

Another one I helped the horsemen build last year, can’t drive to where this is, and had to bring the logs over by hand. That’s why the base logs are cut in half, then repositioned together. They finished the table top logs themselves. Ran out of time, then they went back in when I couldn’t.
C6BD33D1-21BD-4879-8405-0F9B9397B75E.jpeg D9F4C2FE-3AAA-423E-88EE-168B009651F7.jpeg

Dayum, if you're free handing them, My hat is off to you, you're a much better sawyer than I:clap:

Good looking tables, how much time do you have in each one roughly?

Do you get to enjoy the Beautiful surroundings while you're there I Hope?

Doug :cheers:

I can only get a straight cut if the tree is straight.

The Thompson table was 2-1/2 hours, record time. Lots of help, and the logs were close enough to be hand carried back to camp. The first one took a couple days, with two of us dragging them back with a Jeep. Plus we did more ripping on that one. I’ve done some myself in two days.

They’ve mostly been done on 3-8 day trips.

Ya ever have yahoos build a fire on top of one of your tables?
Have seen jerks do that in the WA cascades when they get into a campground when snow is still 2 ft deep.

Ya ever have yahoos build a fire on top of one of your tables?
Have seen jerks do that in the WA cascades when they get into a campground when snow is still 2 ft deep.

No, these trails don’t open until the snow is gone.

I’ve camped in the snow down lower, it never occurred to us to build a fire on a table. We dig out the fire ring.

Back