Taking down the chain rakers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarongd

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good morning fellas. Wondering if someone make a boron or diamond wheel for taking down the rakers on a chain. I have 3 ea electric sharpeners with one being for rakers only. Other 2 are for the different pitch chains. i currently use the stone type from oregon for my rakers grinder but it makes to much dust and wheel cracks easily. One my other two sharpeners i am using a boron wheels and absolutely love them hence why i am asking about a boron or diamond raker wheel. Anyone know of such a thing or have any other ideas? Thanks

I have an extra grinder also, but fileing rakers is so quick & easy it's all I do, even a new chain gets 2 strokes of a 6'' file off the rakers.
I use no guides.

Good morning fellas. Wondering if someone make a boron or diamond wheel for taking down the rakers on a chain. I have 3 ea electric sharpeners with one being for rakers only. Other 2 are for the different pitch chains. i currently use the stone type from oregon for my rakers grinder but it makes to much dust and wheel cracks easily. One my other two sharpeners i am using a boron wheels and absolutely love them hence why i am asking about a boron or diamond raker wheel. Anyone know of such a thing or have any other ideas? Thanks
Help us out with your situation. Rakers? meaning Green safety chains?

Hello, Aaron!

I have a CBN wheel for dressing depth gauges. I used it once, then decided I was not in the mood for constantly changing out the wheels the whole time, so I've taken to filing the depth gauges again! I'd be willing to sell it, if you're interested.

Regards,

Mike

I agree with the others. I file mine. The standard 6" swiss pattern file works just fine but I inherited a box of Nicholson swiss pattern triangle files that I like better. They came from a neighbor of a relative that had passed away. The guy had a sharpening business and the kids were going to throw it all in the dumpster because it's old. My uncle took it instead and gave it to me. Now I need to find a home for it all, but the I snagged a box of one of the files to keep :) These are the files that are used to sharpen the teeth on a handsaw and they work GREAT for dropping my rakers. :)

I think a CBN wheel will certainly do the job but I've reverted to hand filing the depth gauges, some times with a 2 in 1 file and other times with a file o plate or a Husky gauge as someone pictured earlier. I'd really like a filing gauge for Stihl chain that is as simple as the Husky gauge in post "2 above. The 2 in 1 can cut the depth gauges too low if you're not careful.

Hello, Aaron!

I have a CBN wheel for dressing depth gauges. I used it once, then decided I was not in the mood for constantly changing out the wheels the whole time, so I've taken to filing the depth gauges again! I'd be willing to sell it, if you're interested.

Regards,

Mike

Sent you a PM

Back