Tell me about the Oleo-mac, Olympic, Olympyk 945/950 series chainsaws??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slipknot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here's the deal... I've had this olympyk 950 that needs a complete cylinder assembly on the back burner for a while now and just recently acquired a used 945 cylinder and piston assembly off of feebay.(I think its neat how this saw evolved...950 became a 951...and 951 became a efco 952/152.) Gotta get me a 951 project soon.. Anyways after looking in my service manual I have noticed a difference of 1mm in the stroke. Where is the difference coming from? (the rod or does it come from the jug machine work?)I have conflicting IPL's that say different part # on the crankshaft assembly and others say they use the same one.....why is this saw so confusing?

According to this CLYMER manual that baileys sells....
Olympyk,Oleo-mac 945, 945AV, 945 F, and 946 have 44mm bore, 30mm stroke, and 46cc
950, 950AV, 950 DF, 950 F have 45mm bore, 31mm stroke, and 50cc

So what are the differences, and were these any good? kinda heavy and slow i bet....Ive never had mine running. Has anyone ever used a 945 jug on a 950 bottom end? Im thinking im gonna need a thicker gasket? Any ideas?

Here's the deal... I've had this olympyk 950 that needs a complete cylinder assembly on the back burner for a while now and just recently acquired a used 945 cylinder and piston assembly off of feebay.(I think its neat how this saw evolved...950 became a 951...and 951 became a efco 952/152.) Gotta get me a 951 project soon.. Anyways after looking in my service manual I have noticed a difference of 1mm in the stroke. Where is the difference coming from? (the rod or does it come from the jug machine work?)I have conflicting IPL's that say different part # on the crankshaft assembly and others say they use the same one.....why is this saw so confusing?

According to this CLYMER manual that baileys sells....
Olympyk,Oleo-mac 945, 945AV, 945 F, and 946 have 44mm bore, 30mm stroke, and 46cc
950, 950AV, 950 DF, 950 F have 45mm bore, 31mm stroke, and 50cc

So what are the differences, and were these any good? kinda heavy and slow i bet....Ive never had mine running. Has anyone ever used a 945 jug on a 950 bottom end? Im thinking im gonna need a thicker gasket? Any ideas?

All I can say is that I fixed up a 950 for some guys in town that used to cut firewood as a business. They really like it and were pleased as punch that I had the parts for their saw. Only problem is now, I don't have as many parts for me......
I am now very curious about the differences as well!

Well the 945 piston will not work on the 952 chassis because of rod bearing and piston pin diameter differences. Crap....I wasted $40 on a olympyk 945 piston and cylinder that i cant use....crap...crap..crap!!!!

Anyone know a source for a cylinder and piston for a olympyk 950? Will any other oleo mac/olympyk cylinders work on the 950? Like i said before the 945 cylinder will not work?

Back