Testing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you guys that post pictures get them to be smaller than 102KB?

It took me at least ten minutes to get this right.

Hi Harley, you need some sort of picture editing software, I use Adobe PhotoShop, but there are many others that will work just as well. First go to "Image" on the tool bar(Chosen file, image, must be open), click on "Image Size" and a box pops up with the first dimension in pixels highlighted. I usually start with 480 pixels and then the next dimension automatically adjusts itself to 360 pixels, then the file resizes itself. Now you have to save it. Go to "File" then "Save As" and name it. Choose your file format and then click once and the appropriate file extension is added, click again and the resized file is saved. Then another box pops up with Jpeg options, my format of choice for the web, and select or accept "3" Medium for quality level. Click OK and you are done. I go through all of this because I use the highest resolution my camera produces as the default setting, but you could just use a lower file size initially. Hope this helps, Russ

Thanks Russ.

I used Adobe Photo deluxe. I just thought it was a pain. Going through all those steps. I resized several times and I used the lowest possible quality when I exported from Adobe.

How does it look to you guys?

Next time, I'll try a saw pic.

P.S. The original file was 320K. Is this large compared with what you post?

G'day Harley,

Go to the web site below for the Image Optimizer, or the JPEG Optimizer (whichever suits you). Its a great little programme that allows you to rip the guts out of a photo, and it doesnt look too shabby at the end!!
Perfect for the application you want, ie getting under the size limits for posting.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Charlie.

http://www.xat.com

Last edited:
Slabberman thats great!

I just tried it. It took about 10 seconds to do.

I'll have to go out and take another pic so I can post it and try it out.:p

Last edited:
G'day Harley,

Glad to be of help. Theres some fabulous programmes out there, you just need to find them!!
Cheers
Charlie.
bluegrab.gif

Hi Harley, I discovered resizing by accident. Most of my pictures are 300KB or larger so when I open with MGI Suite and slice a 1/16" edge off one side and click save, it automatically reduces it to about 85KB with little loss to clarity.
Hope this helps,
John

Check the software that came with your camera. I have an Olympus and I usually just hit the 'resize' button. Remember to always save the original full sized image, save your resized image with a slightly different name...I just add an 'sm' (for small) to the original file's name.

(Charlie...I liked the blob grabbing hand, snuck a peek at it's properties and had fun at the site....thanks!)

Che

messy workbench

Hey Harley, Looks a lot like my workbench. I can't seem to do much work until i get 3-4 different projects apart on my bench

ken

Ken,

You know, I just named it that cause I have a Homie apart on there and all the tools are out. But now that I look at it, I'm ashamed of it. The duct tape( never run a weed eater with out the clutch drum), the head, the buffing compound splatter, etc.

I gotta get off this idiot box and go get my mop and bucket.

I have all the fancy programs, but I use an old, old Win3.1 version of LView when I use one of my PCs. Super fast for the simple stuff. Crop, resize, and reduce JPEG quality.

Another quick and dirty way to reduce file size without a substantial loss of clarity is to reduce the color depth. Often pictures are stored in 24-bit color (~16 million colors) when 8-bit color (256 colors) will do. Maybe it's a stereotype but I would guess that most chainsaw users can't discern 16 million colors.

Steve

I wouldn't recommend going to 8 bit. I sometimes see things on eBay with photos done that way, and it's very hard to tell any of the details.

Latest posts

Back