The $99 Poulan Pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Basically this
4ebd0d033b606dfc7552c9992c64cb7e.jpg

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
How long have those 42cc Poulans had those plastic parts in the engine? I wonder if mine does, it's a PP4218AVX.

Edit: yeah looks like it does, oh well, got it for free and no problems with it.

How long have those 42cc Poulans had those plastic parts in the engine? I wonder if mine does, it's a PP4218AVX.

Edit: yeah looks like it does, oh well, got it for free and no problems with it.
Yeah they've used that style for quite a few years now. If you retune them out the box they can last a bit with light use, most burnup within a dozen tanks from running lean.

How long have those 42cc Poulans had those plastic parts in the engine?
For sure they are strato with transfer port plastic inserts. If your carb has the upper tube it is strato.
The oldest strato saw I have is a 2005 4018AVBH (black hawk) still 42cc as far as I can recall they are all the same 41mm bore. After all the IPL show mostly the same parts unless you have a chrome bore machine...and the EPA tags all say 42cc.
Also the 2005 P4018WT (wild thing) rigid saw 2013 AV and 2015 rigid, All my 4 saws were 18" originally.
Tweeking the carb has been a longer learning process.
There are pix of 2 of them in my media albums listed below.

For sure they are strato with transfer port plastic inserts. If your carb has the upper tube it is strato.
The oldest strato saw I have is a 2005 4018AVBH (black hawk) still 42cc as far as I can recall they are all the same 41mm bore. After all the IPL show mostly the same parts unless you have a chrome bore machine...and the EPA tags all say 42cc.
Also the 2005 P4018WT (wild thing) rigid saw 2013 AV and 2015 rigid, All my 4 saws were 18" originally.
Tweeking the carb has been a longer learning process.
There are pix of 2 of them in my media albums listed below.
Yeah they are a real bastard to tune. Its like it has 2 tip ins, you come off idle and you have to tune that...then when the strato port opens there is a 2nd point where it can bog

I had one, it's hard to describe how lame that saw was. A chinese red max clone in 38 CC's I had would cut circles around it. In fact I think my 26cc Homelite XL2 had more power. And no matter how you would tune it, nothing would help. I don't know if it was a characteristic of the strato engine or if I just had a bad example, but I would only take them if they were free and I could fix them up for nothing and sell them.

I get quite a few for free, and with new fuel lines and maybe a primer, send them down the road.....they are still better then the new Homelites or McCullochs I've played with. For a homeowner who just wants to cut up a tree, they are OK.....most of the time the homeowner doesn't drain the gas, and I get an almost new saw three years later that won't start.

Yeah they are a real bastard to tune. Its like it has 2 tip ins, you come off idle and you have to tune that...then when the strato port opens there is a 2nd point where it can bog
I had alway observed chainsaw guys say "full throttle only" ...one should not feather the throttle!

And no matter how you would tune it, nothing would help.
And no matter how I would tune it, nothing would help.
is more believable in my experience.

Would I buy one NO, would I recommend one? not really. I fix them (any saw) for the learning involved then throw them on the shelf. Just another loaner saw like the other 65..most of them given to me.

I had alway observed chainsaw guys say "full throttle only" ...one should not feather the throttle!

And no matter how I would tune it, nothing would help.
is more believable in my experience.

Would I buy one NO, would I recommend one? not really. I fix them (any saw) for the learning involved then throw them on the shelf. Just another loaner saw like the other 65..most of them given to me.
Yes. Full throttle, but you gotta get it there.

Yeah they've used that style for quite a few years now. If you retune them out the box they can last a bit with light use, most burnup within a dozen tanks from running lean.

I have my low and hi needles both at 2 full turns out and it seems good, it was tuned lean when new.
The detriment of these saws seems to be lean tuning, and dull / loose chains because so many of them are used by people who have no idea how to use a chainsaw.

I had a customer this spring that I sold a new Craftsman ( Poulan 42cc 18 in) to to cut up a dead tree in the yard.....the Craftsman was a return to Sears, but never used. He burnt it up in half a tank. Not realizing it was because he pushed the saw with a dull chain, I replaced it with another new saw ( indentical...I had a dozen I bought off of Sears when they went out of business in my area for $10 each),,,which he fried the same way. Lesson learned, at least for me.

Been using one for about 5 years for limbing and lighter hurricane cleanup. Starts perfectly even after summer long no-cranks. Runs. Cuts. Can handle it all day. Has cut a couple of big bars out of bad bucking decisions. Never pushed it with a dull chain cause it takes only two minutes to sharpen.

of course, it gets only ethanol free like every two stroke I own. Yeah, the bars aren’t much

Every new saw needs to be tuned and all will burn up running lean. Most don't get tuned. Steve

I disagree with your statement unless you're saying every saw running 10% ethanol fuel needs to be tuned.
Not electric saws obviously, but any saw with an engine sure needs to be tuned. Doesn't matter what fuel. This is chainsaw running 101. New saws may be fine out of the box, but that sure as hell needs to be verified. Monitoring and adjusting the state of tune of one's saw is maybe step three of learning how to run a saw.

Latest posts

Back