The Chainsawr's Efco Story (Please read this if you're considering buying one.)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I dont personally think that Efco is being given a fair shake here. I have been dealing with Efco and there great customer service people for a few years now. Warranty is warranty and nothing more and this goes for every manufacturer including but not limited to outdoor power equipment. We all have felt we were done wrong at some point in time but if we look back we often realize that there were rules and regulations that we should have followed. Efco has stepped up several times to help the customer out when the failure/defect fell into a "gray" area. In Efco's defense every manufacturer i deal with put a time frame on when Warranty claims should be filed this normaly being 30 days after the repair is completed. I often see claims that are 60 days old without this causing any problems, if there is a question about the claim who is going to remember something in great detail that is over 2 months old.
Efco does not reject legitimate claims that are filed in the alloted time. I dont know the nature of the claims but given they were legit and filed in a reasonable time frame they would have been payed. The dealer should have followed the guide lines for warranty claims and this would not have been a problem.
Efco is here to stay in the USA as they are developing more products for the US. They are not going away and are growing there dealer network each day. I have over 200 dealers in my five state area that i deal with. There are a lot of smaller dealers included but they are the back bone of the industry. People have grown to love these smaller shops because of there more personal service and attention to detail they often give.
EFco has a 5 year warranty and will stand behind this 100%. Warranty is often confused with guarantee and these are not even close to being the same. Have you ever read any warranty statement from any equipment manufacturer, if you have you know they require a lawyer for interpretation. In short Efco's warranty is fairly simple as well as there warranty policy and procedure. These must be followed in order to get paid no matter the manufacturer.

Lets keep supporting Efco Products
Dont let one bad apple spoil the whole barrel !!!!!!

Welcome to A.S.! Good to have a variety of perspectives.

Are you an Efco dealer? Distributor? Employee?

Philbert

I dont personally think that Efco is being given a fair shake here. I have been dealing with Efco and there great customer service people for a few years now. Warranty is warranty and nothing more and this goes for every manufacturer including but not limited to outdoor power equipment. We all have felt we were done wrong at some point in time but if we look back we often realize that there were rules and regulations that we should have followed. Efco has stepped up several times to help the customer out when the failure/defect fell into a "gray" area. In Efco's defense every manufacturer i deal with put a time frame on when Warranty claims should be filed this normaly being 30 days after the repair is completed. I often see claims that are 60 days old without this causing any problems, if there is a question about the claim who is going to remember something in great detail that is over 2 months old.
Efco does not reject legitimate claims that are filed in the alloted time. I dont know the nature of the claims but given they were legit and filed in a reasonable time frame they would have been payed. The dealer should have followed the guide lines for warranty claims and this would not have been a problem.
Efco is here to stay in the USA as they are developing more products for the US. They are not going away and are growing there dealer network each day. I have over 200 dealers in my five state area that i deal with. There are a lot of smaller dealers included but they are the back bone of the industry. People have grown to love these smaller shops because of there more personal service and attention to detail they often give.
EFco has a 5 year warranty and will stand behind this 100%. Warranty is often confused with guarantee and these are not even close to being the same. Have you ever read any warranty statement from any equipment manufacturer, if you have you know they require a lawyer for interpretation. In short Efco's warranty is fairly simple as well as there warranty policy and procedure. These must be followed in order to get paid no matter the manufacturer.

Lets keep supporting Efco Products
Dont let one bad apple spoil the whole barrel !!!!!!

Hmmm...........First post.

Profile says he is a service manager of ?????

Inquiring minds want to know.

I would LOVE to have authoritative representatives from all of the manufacturers participate more in these forums, to provide objective facts, answer technical questions, etc. It will never substitute for member's opinions, and they should not.

EFCO has created more questions by moving in and out of markets more than product complaints. Here on A.S. we have recently had one marketing guy with a single post versus the experience of a long time member. I hope that TRIMMER62075 will participate objectively and is not a a one-time defensive post - it will only tarnish EFCO's reputation more on this site.

Philbert

Well, we have not heard back from Mr. TRIMMER62075. One post wonder? Defensive insertion?
Out for coffee with Mr. Dsavage, the marketing guy (at least he got up to 5 posts - although, most on the same day).

Seriously, we would love to have you guys participate honestly and openly on an on-going basis, but not as a flame or as a shill.

Philbert

Well, we have not heard back from Mr. TRIMMER62075. One post wonder? Defensive insertion?
Out for coffee with Mr. Dsavage, the marketing guy (at least he got up to 5 posts - although, most on the same day).

Seriously, we would love to have you guys participate honestly and openly on an on-going basis, but not as a flame or as a shill.

Philbert

I all fairness to EFCO, there would have to be some similar complaints from dealers in other areas who buy from other distributors before drawing too many conclusions from Scott's situation. None of us really know what happened between his distributor and EFCO, but there are surely several possibilities.

But I still find it troubling that he was camceld and is being asked to anti-up with a stock order when he's already a dealer. I've never heard of anything like that happening due to a change in distributors.

I all fairness to EFCO, there would have to be some similar complaints from dealers in other areas who buy from other distributors before drawing too many conclusions from Scott's situation. None of us really know what happened between his distributor and EFCO,. . . .

Got no problem with that Spike.

I have a problem with these guys who join the forum with a patriotic post or two about their brand (any brand), then disappear. If they want to participate in the discussion, if they want to present different view, if they are willing to respond to questions, etc. Fine. But to dump broad sweeping statements ending with, "rah for the home team" then leave - I'm not a big fan of that, and it makes their brand look worse, and more disconnected from their customers than if they had just stayed out of it.

JMHO

Philbert

Got no problem with that Spike.

I have a problem with these guys who join the forum with a patriotic post or two about their brand (any brand), then disappear. If they want to participate in the discussion, if they want to present different view, if they are willing to respond to questions, etc. Fine. But to dump broad sweeping statements ending with, "rah for the home team" then leave - I'm not a big fan of that, and it makes their brand look worse, and more disconnected from their customers than if they had just stayed out of it.

JMHO

Philbert

Absolutely; I agree 100%. Throwing up one post can hardly be considered participating in the discussion.

Not directly related to this thread [just a wondering what Efco are up to at least in my area of France] dealer in my area that is an Efco agent [dont buy from the guy due to his attitude] had a display of Efco saws that have now been replaced by Oleo Mac & Vap saws both brands I know are in house, BUT why keep changing the paint scheme decals etc. seems a waste of resources [ But then what do I know]seems to me the casual buyer would be put off as they my believe one or the other brands have gone out of business.

What's in a name, an EFCO by any other would still run as sweet, no?

I have no issue with the brand whatsoever. I own & run several Olympic & Oleo Mac saws, I do not own an Efco, as I tend to older & used saws that require some tinkering. My point was that to the home owner/occasional user to visit a dealer & view say the Efco range & to return some time later to see Oleo Mac, cannot do much to lift confidence in the Efco brand, if they are not aware it`s the same company. +each different brand/model requires at least different decals + maybe colour so the company would have to carry more spares/parts leading to IMO greater expense in an already very competitive market. It`s OK for members on this forum as most are up to speed as to who owns/manufacturers the various brands, but I believe we are but a small cog in a large box & chainsaw manufacturers would soon be out of business without the greater & less knowledgeable public

A Little Perspective

As a new EFCO dealer, I want to give a little perspective that may be different to Chainsawr's story. I have been around the rental/equipment sales business since 1986. Cut my teeth as a salesman with a company that sold Homelite chainsaws (SXL-AO, Super 2) and rented and sold Sachs Dolmar until the distributor in Florida went belly up. Went Husky and ended up as the number 1 dealer in the southeast. I left when the owner sold and the new owners didn't have a clue and wouldn't listen. Opened my own store selling Jonsered (which has never taken off in Fl.) and EFCO through Tilton Equipment. Sold and left the business a few years and now I'm back. Started selling Jonsered again. First part of the year Tilton and Jonsered/Husqvarna announced they were parting ways. New distributor in Fl is Pace equipment. They just recently started having parts available (some, ordered two parts, back ordered one and it is a common part). They won't have any units until May. I've yet to see a salesman. Tilton's salesman came in about once a month and have known him for over twenty years. Rep for the distributor handling EFCO comes in about once a month and I've been buying Oregon, Poulan and other parts from him for almost three years. Just started stocking EFCO again because I can get the units and I don't have to lay out a lot of money to become a dealer. Met the North American sales rep for EFCO. What matters to me is the relationship with the distributor. EFCO's down here is a long established company with three distribution centers. Most of what I order I get in one day. Yes, it may take a week to get a part from EFCO's warehouse if it is not in stock with the distributor. Right now, I am going to concentrate on EFCO and let Jonsered slide. I like what I see and I know that my rep and the company he works for will be there for me. Jonsered, not so much.

As a new EFCO dealer, I want to give a little perspective that may be different to Chainsawr's story. I have been around the rental/equipment sales business since 1986. Cut my teeth as a salesman with a company that sold Homelite chainsaws (SXL-AO, Super 2) and rented and sold Sachs Dolmar until the distributor in Florida went belly up. Went Husky and ended up as the number 1 dealer in the southeast. I left when the owner sold and the new owners didn't have a clue and wouldn't listen. Opened my own store selling Jonsered (which has never taken off in Fl.) and EFCO through Tilton Equipment. Sold and left the business a few years and now I'm back. Started selling Jonsered again. First part of the year Tilton and Jonsered/Husqvarna announced they were parting ways. New distributor in Fl is Pace equipment. They just recently started having parts available (some, ordered two parts, back ordered one and it is a common part). They won't have any units until May. I've yet to see a salesman. Tilton's salesman came in about once a month and have known him for over twenty years. Rep for the distributor handling EFCO comes in about once a month and I've been buying Oregon, Poulan and other parts from him for almost three years. Just started stocking EFCO again because I can get the units and I don't have to lay out a lot of money to become a dealer. Met the North American sales rep for EFCO. What matters to me is the relationship with the distributor. EFCO's down here is a long established company with three distribution centers. Most of what I order I get in one day. Yes, it may take a week to get a part from EFCO's warehouse if it is not in stock with the distributor. Right now, I am going to concentrate on EFCO and let Jonsered slide. I like what I see and I know that my rep and the company he works for will be there for me. Jonsered, not so much.

Welcome to A.S. Larry!

In all sincerity, we look forward to your participation and the benefit of your experience in the OPE industry. We certainly don't agree on everything, and often look forward to a spirited conversation, as long as the posters are honest in where they are coming from.

Unfortunately, we have had some 'one-post-wonders' posting positive comments about EFCO, then disappearing, competing with those from established, long time members. That does not make the brand look good. If you participate on a regular and continuing basis, I am sure that there are many things we can learn from your perspectives as a dealer.

I hope to 'see you around'!

Philbert

Last edited:
Welcome to A.S. Larry!

In all sincerity, we look forward to your participation and the benefit of your experience in the OPE industry. We certainly don't agree on everything, and often look forward to a spirited conversation, as long as the posters are honest in where they are coming from.

Unfortunately, we have had some 'one-post-wonders' posting positive comments about EFCO, competing with those from long time members. That does not make the brand look good. If you participate on a regular and continuing basis, I am sure that there are many things we can learn from your perspectives as a dealer.

I hope to 'see you around'!

Philbert

Thanks for the welcome. Found A. S. when I was trying to find out what was going on with Jonsered. Been using it for research on EFCO. Lot's of good info. Actually read all pages on the long term test of the 152. Good stuff.

Went to dealer class last week, new saw (45?cc) is a decent one, with a cat muffler. They are reworking their EPA meeting tech. Not too encouraged, not really disappointing, either.

Said something about producing something here in the US. Whether its just assembly, or an actual factory, as always, time will tell.

May have been my last one, my friend, the dealer, may be getting out. Economy and health issues. The number of dealers leaving the business in southern MN, WI, and SD the last year is spooky.

Last edited:
There have been a lot of very positive comments on EFCO saws, in their various, editions (Olympik, Oleo-Mac, John Deere, etc.). A lot of the concerns have been related to dealer support. If you are buying a $300+ tool that you plan to keep for a while, and the differences are not huge between a couple of brands, then an established and dependable dealer network can really make the difference.

If you are relying on warranty coverage, same thing.

For EFCO to be successful here, they will have to build/re-build their brand/dealer/service network, and/or offer something that we can't get from the Poulans/Echos/Husqvarnas/STIHLS, etc. Do they want to be a 'pro' saw, a higher end homeowner saw, a low cost competitor, etc.?

The World (and a bunch of guys on A.S.) is watching!

Philbert

While I totally understand the dealer support aspect that everyone is saying is so critical to saw owners, I have to say the 'big boys' of the chainsaw industry are often severely lacking in the same areas that everyone is faulting EFCO for. The Stihl dealer in my area is up to his eyeballs in Home Depot, Lowes and TSC [MTD] warrenty work. Order some stuff from him, he jots it on a pad and forgets to order it for weeks at a time. The local Husqy dealer is ready to retire, and unless you have been buying from him for 30 years, you can't get the time of day there. The next closest H dealer is fantastic as far as stocking parts but is 65 miles from me and his hours make it difficult to get there after work. So it is mail order/internet ordering for me most of the time. Currently waiting on an Husqy order now for gaskets, rings and seals, estimated delivery April 10. So If my JD-EFCO needs parts, it is just another saw in the line waiting for parts. There is not a single manufacturer that is providing good service in my area.

I agree that if EFCO wants to be a pro line, they need to bulk up their network, stay away from the box stores and be there when the pros come in the door. But occational users/homeowners have demonstrated that they will put up with a parts/warrenty center 150 miles away. Time for EFCO to crap or get off the pot. Wonder what it's gonna be?

My opinion, and its just that, is that Efco had the world by the tail when they were being sold in the JD dealerships. Not that they were at the best price point, but from the fact that you could get parts ASAP, and nearly at any dealership, and for most things common, you still can. Price not being the determining factor.

The dealerships that now carry Stihl, are not carrying near the parts they did for Efco/JD branded stuff. It will come faster in most instances, and as fast in nearly all.

If you want some knowledge, your local dealer is still your best bet. For anything, saws, cars, toaster ovens, whatever. The internet is a great way to refine that.

I do think some here are expecting a lot. When the two biggies in saws and OPE have many of the same issues as Efco, the difference is in both the perception and advantage of scale. Many dealers carry what they carry because of the traffic it generates, not because of their knowledge of it. Carrying it will only get you so far into the knowledge side. I have talked to Stihl dealers, and more recently Jonserud dealers, and left feeling they are playing dumb or asking myself why I don't run the place, other than the money it would take.

Been Kinda busy

I am the service manager for a dist. of outdoor power equip. We carry 3 lines of handheld Equipment and dist. across five states. Hope to post some more soooooooooon!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the welcome. Found A. S. when I was trying to find out what was going on with Jonsered. Been using it for research on EFCO. Lot's of good info. Actually read all pages on the long term test of the 152. Good stuff.

Larry As a dealer with good regional support can you tell me if the 165 Has guadport transfers. I have not been able to find this on the internet.

thanks for participating on as lots of info.

I'm not Larry but the 165 cylinders I had were internal quad port. Later 156s were also.

Dug out an old 152 last week to play in the firewood pile. I have had issues with Efco in the past that are open for anyone to read. That said, I would take a 152 over all other makes of saw in the low 50cc homeowner range. Best starting, great power, good weight and not a clamshell design. To me the 152 is the best of the current Efco line.

Back