The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far its just the tie rod.

Haven't dug deep enough to see any other damage, though I don't think any is likely pretty tough front end on there, and I wasn't going very fast, just in revers for the most part, pretty sure it broke going forward? Or at least thats when the tire let go, which I didn't catch right away and tried to revers out of it, which probably hoopa jooped the tie rod... Not real sure, all I do know is that I was asking it to turn, and she was wanting to go straight... then everything let go, and the **** got deep.

Its on my own site, so at least its not on the road again...

I'll get it dug out and start fixing it best I can tomorrow... at least enough to limp it out of the hole its in, had to have the War Dept come rescue me... She no happy...

got a full whack of logs on there too.
You are lucky it happened there, if that type of failure had happened at speed on a corner of anywhere you wouldn't be here to talk about it, you'd be more than likely be pushing up daisies

You are lucky it happened there, if that type of failure had happened at speed on a corner of anywhere you wouldn't be here to talk about it, you'd be more than likely be pushing up daisies

Truth, though I'm far more concerned about killing others, I die welp ****... but if it involves killing a someone else, the guilt would probably kill me if I did survive.

Truth, though I'm far more concerned about killing others, I die welp ****... but if it involves killing a someone else, the guilt would probably kill me if I did survive.
The whole front end steering linkages more than likely need replacing , it's probably been over stressed in an accident or put into a bank or ditch before.

The whole front end steering linkages more than likely need replacing , it's probably been over stressed in an accident or put into a bank or ditch before.
nope, just some moron thought the connecting rod needed "gusseting" then proceded to poorly weld gussets right up to where the tie rod end threads stopped, complete with massive under cut, and perosity... so the absolute weakest point made weaker by stupidity, then my dumb ass tried building a road in a hurry, and cheap... well... lessons learned.

also I'll note, this is a 3 owner truck, Summit Timber bought it new, and it only ever had one driver for them, then it was sold to the guy I bought it from who turned it into a self loader, I would be surprised if Frank has every crashed a truck, dude can drive better with one leg then anyone else I've ever met. And Sonny O. had to retire to get out of a truck

that said, Franks not a welder, so who ever he had fixing stuff... (oh wait I've hauled logs for that guy too....not a smart man...) same goes for a lot of the boneheads that ran Summit into the ground

nope, just some moron thought the connecting rod needed "gusseting" then proceded to poorly weld gussets right up to where the tie rod end threads stopped, complete with massive under cut, and perosity... so the absolute weakest point made weaker by stupidity, then my dumb ass tried building a road in a hurry, and cheap... well... lessons learned.
From the looks of your video, it looks like the steering tie rod was strengthened to stop it from being bent when being pulled all over the place in & out of log dumps, in all sorts conditions, a bit of over stressing.

From the looks of your video, it looks like the steering tie rod was strengthened to stop it from being bent when being pulled all over the place in & out of log dumps, in all sorts conditions, a bit of over stressing.
A lot of the time they are gusseted before they do get bent yes, but not from being pulled out etc, but more from just trying to turn against a log pile, which happens often especially with a self loader, cause you have to get up close and personal to reach enough logs... cause the gyppos that stack em up then call you can't figure out how to stack them higher then 3' or perpendicular to the road so the piles get farther and farther from the truck...

Getting pulled out the wheels will generally be forced back to straight, or at the very least together but hardly ever against the stops, which is what I inadvertently did when the truck refused to turn was crank it all the way left...

Has anybody found a better way to run track pedals with a logger-heeled boot than this? Don’t get me wrong, these Cat ones are just exceptionally flat and not fun even wearing my Pecos boots. A79D823A-EC6E-49AF-AD8A-96E0E0485132.jpeg

Has anybody found a better way to run track pedals with a logger-heeled boot than this? Don’t get me wrong, these Cat ones are just exceptionally flat and not fun even wearing my Pecos boots. View attachment 866514

We’ve added extensions off to the side of some the travel pedals basically a piece of tubing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Has anybody found a better way to run track pedals with a logger-heeled boot than this? Don’t get me wrong, these Cat ones are just exceptionally flat and not fun even wearing my Pecos boots. View attachment 866514
Hitachi pedals have an ear on the top side, so forward is mostly easy even in calk boots. until you get a calk hung up between the little foot rests and the peddles... which is rare but still annoying.

for backwards I just shift my whole damned foot and use the toe instead of my heals, partly because of the boots, and partly because of the gimp foot doesn't have enough range of motion to use the heel. or if I'm going a long ways back wards, just use muh fangers.

as a side now, I am wearing holes through the pedals, and the poor rubber mat is more or less non existent already

We’ve added extensions off to the side of some the travel pedals basically a piece of tubing.

I’ll have to try that, probably should have a long time ago. Especially since I own nearly all my excavators now. Seems to only be a problem with newer Cat machines where the travel pedals are gargantuan and as flat as some of the plains states. I have no idea what they were thinking when they did the redesign of some of the components from the E to F series.

Hitachi pedals have an ear on the top side, so forward is mostly easy even in calk boots. until you get a calk hung up between the little foot rests and the peddles... which is rare but still annoying.

for backwards I just shift my whole damned foot and use the toe instead of my heals, partly because of the boots, and partly because of the gimp foot doesn't have enough range of motion to use the heel. or if I'm going a long ways back wards, just use muh fangers.

as a side now, I am wearing holes through the pedals, and the poor rubber mat is more or less non existent already

Deeretachi & Sumitomo (Case & Link-Belt) have much smaller pedals with some incline to them and are much easier to walk around. I’ve always moved my foot and used my toes to track backwards, and for long walks I’ll usually send the final drives forward, it’s just much more comfortable.

Funny how this came up right now, I had a favor called in yesterday and was on a shiny 470G Deere. I can’t lie, I liked it, it was a much nicer place to spend 3:00 AM to 6:30 PM in than my cohort’s 349 Cat.

6942987D-9020-4720-9E40-6B0B47F23C62.jpeg

So I’m sitting at an intersection & noticed some smoke coming out from under the truck. Last I checked, there’s not supposed to be that much oil outside of the head. So much for the Series 60 being bullet proof as far as oil leaks...

So in todays adventures in Gyppo logging and equipment destruction.

We find our hero on top of a log loader when the base plate (you know that thing that attaches it to the truck) decides to break.

For a hat trick, we leave the trailer down, cause thats what I was doing when the loader broke...

Head for the barn (aka parked in the street in front of the house) for a night of welding and jury rigging, only to have the reach on the log trailer decide its clamps suck, and the brakes don't want to release quite fast enough....

long story short, I need air lines, wires, 6 hours of welding and some new shorts

Only blocked traffic for about an hour, and our local sheriffs were very nice to me, and the navy guy that stopped and help deserves a cake and 3 strippers... The rest of you morons that decided passing in oncoming traffic on a hill, at a blind T intersection can suck a donkey dong, especially the few morons that still tried it with the police directing traffic.

Also I got home to no O2 in the hawt wrench set, and clapped out acetylene gauge... so its off to find parts and supplys fist thing in the morning.

Add to this, the 3 loads I already need delivered by wed night, cause turkey day in the USA, and a buddy called and has 2-6 more for me by wed...

anybody have one of them bitchin cloning devices running around?

Glad our hero is a man of many talents.

Hope you get done in time to enjoy turkey and dressing with your wife.

Ron
with a little luck I'll have it back on the road today, just waiting on the welding shop to open, and the truck parts guy...

Its not a difficult project to fix, just time, and you know fighting the cold november rains... yay... lets see if I can get electrocuted today lol.

and... yeah I'm sore now lol

Managed to hand a sheet of plywood off the headache rack and on the loader so I at least stayed mostly out of the rain for most of the welding, still 6 hours of basically standing in one spot isn't real fun.

Got my nephew to show up right about 0 dark thirty to help finish off rehanging the hoses and wires...

So back at er in the morning.

Latest posts

Back