ArboristSite.com Sponsors

The Descriptive Process

catbuster

Roadbuilder Extraordinaire
how is a grader not set up for grading?

Can the ole D8 be inframed again? or is it just a lot of expensive to haul spare parts now.

The grader that was sent can’t use GPS, it’s one on one of those jobs. It’s a taxiway and as such has to fit the site plan, yada yada. No just making it look right, and it’s a big area we’re going to have to cut to grade. GPS just makes life a lot easier. It also had a scarifying cutting edge on the moulboard, which makes cutting rock harder once it’s been packed.

That D8 is a monster, but it’s a 1983 model, and their run ended in 1987. At the very least Cat still makes parts for it, it’s an old mechanical 3408, which are funny creatures, and I guess I could drop a 3408E model in it and probably put some D9 parts in the undercarriage to make a super-high production frankendozer, but it’s at the point I don’t want to mess with it because it’s the oldest piece of equipment in the fleet and we need to be pulling wrenches on other gear.

Skeans

Addicted to ArboristSite
The grader that was sent can’t use GPS, it’s one on one of those jobs. It’s a taxiway and as such has to fit the site plan, yada yada. No just making it look right, and it’s a big area we’re going to have to cut to grade. GPS just makes life a lot easier. It also had a scarifying cutting edge on the moulboard, which makes cutting rock harder once it’s been packed.

That D8 is a monster, but it’s a 1983 model, and their run ended in 1987. At the very least Cat still makes parts for it, it’s an old mechanical 3408, which are funny creatures, and I guess I could drop a 3408E model in it and probably put some D9 parts in the undercarriage to make a super-high production frankendozer, but it’s at the point I don’t want to mess with it because it’s the oldest piece of equipment in the fleet and we need to be pulling wrenches on other gear.

Sounds like a good winter project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catbuster

Roadbuilder Extraordinaire
Sounds like a good winter project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I could work something out to keep it, but come next Monday I won’t own it. Hell, I won’t even have a shop big enough to fit that tractor in. I don’t even have a contractor to build a new equipment shop & storage buildings yet, much less a design. Ha. It’s going to be fun starting over after shedding much of a leviathan I created.

northmanlogging

northmanlogging

The gyppo's gyppo
I guess I could work something out to keep it, but come next Monday I won’t own it. Hell, I won’t even have a shop big enough to fit that tractor in. I don’t even have a contractor to build a new equipment shop & storage buildings yet, much less a design. Ha. It’s going to be fun starting over after shedding much of a leviathan I created.
"stay small, keep it all"-some old logger.

The headache from dealing with so much on a daily basis would likely put me in a home... bad enough with my small fleet and no employees, add a couple employees and the chaos they create, I'd be off the deep end in a hurry.