The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some days it’s better to be lucky than good. Matt, I think you’re both.

Today I was neither.

View attachment 1004626

That is the first time I’ve stuck a saw in… Five years. On a little cleanup job of all things.
its ok, it happens to all of us... part of being a man etc..

its ok, it happens to all of us... part of being a man etc..

I guess, man. But I would have figured it would have been some big tree where I was in a hurry clearing a tangled mess of blowdown. Turns out, you pay better attention in those instances and bigger trees are easier to cut than the small ones.

The better part was that my 461 flat out refused to even start to cut the damned thing out. It wouldn’t even flood. And yes Karl, it had gas in it.

I guess, man. But I would have figured it would have been some big tree where I was in a hurry clearing a tangled mess of blowdown. Turns out, you pay better attention in those instances and bigger trees are easier to cut than the small ones.

The better part was that my 461 flat out refused to even start to cut the damned thing out. It wouldn’t even flood. And yes Karl, it had gas in it.
they say that struggle builds character.

picked up new fire wagon today, bought with cash, drove it straight to the sight, popped the top... 1/4 full of dry hardened silt... and a **** load of cobwebs...

Ok, I'll just put some water in, it will soften up, and wash right out... kinda, gotter half full and put the fire hose to er helped mix it all up, then drained via fire hose (both drains at this point were open, but blocked with muck.

then I proceed to fill er up, tie a chain on to move it into its parking spot with ye ole essavator...and I over balance the damned thing it stands nearly straight up on its ass, and pours out just about every bit of the 400 gallons I've spent the last 2 hours filling...

on the good side because of my antics getting it back on its feet... most of the sediment is gone, or at least mixed with water enough to drain out.

So my 1/2 day of a pleasant drive, and a quick fill up back home just after lunch turned into a prolonged picnic in 100+ degree heat, with wet socks, covered in mud of dubious origins...

guy I got it from, "had" another one, complete with pump and fire tool box, he had lent to another local logger, who then smashed said tool box and all the fire tools inside it...
Same guy a few years ago, had been renting an essavator from same guy... and smashed the cab level with the engine... so he ended up buying said essavator, some how these two are still friends lol, I've never met the guy who keeps smashing all the fist guys stuff, but the first guy keeps rebuilding it, and then dude buys em off him... anyway old loggers when you can find them make good allies when it comes to rescuing junk.

Don’t encourage me, NM. I was hoping for more cold water to be thrown on my thoughts of a toy crawler.

Nebraska tests for the 440 - DD drawbar pull is a tad over 7000# right at its weight. Gas pulls around 6500#, about 400# under its weight. 1010s start gaining weight through the 350s; all too heavy for my truck and trailer.

420C or 430C would be easier to tow as they are really light - but the transmission case is probably not tough enough for the stresses I would put on it.

My dad had a 1958 420w wheel tractor with a 5 speed and directional reverser which he bought new. Redline was around 1800 rpms. It did a lot of work for a 26hp tractor. It was still humming when he sold it after 25 years of use.

Ron

Well, ripping the diverter wires and bending up my steel hydraulic lines on my little Deere 4710 pushed me over the edge. After a lot of research, weight limitations (wanted to keep my existing trailer) and nostalgia, I bought a 1958 John Deere 420C similarly equipped as my dad's 420W wheel tractor. It is a late model so it has the engine and transmissions upgrades like the early 440 but without the heavier finals. It weighs slightly over 6,000# and will pull its weight. Carburetor issues kept it sidelined for a while, but after the fourth float, we had a fit. In the meantime, I rebuilt the generator, replaced the points, coil, condenser, cap, rotor, wires and plugs, fashioned a winch mount and plumbed a small military surplus hydraulic humvee winch. I got a little anxious when I discovered that once again everything on the internet is not correct - in this case, the hydraulic system is not 1500 psi but rather a lowly 850 psi which means my winch will operate at about 60% of its rated capacity. Nevertheless, it works fine for the little dozer and I don't have the fear of grenading it like my last one that i was running at 170% or more of its capacity.

Old bitzer will have a cow as I am using the little dozer on a familiar site - a site over 6 years ago I was given permission to cut everything but saw timber. Being an igmo, saw timber to me is nice straight stuff 15" dbh or so and up. In 2016, I cut a bunch until bitzer pointed out I was cutting stuff he would sell. So I left the site with a big donut hole clearing I had made to fall trees into. Fast forward to the end of June of this year when the property was sold and the new owner gave the wood ministry 30 days to cut anything we wanted so long as we left 3' or higher stumps. The white oaks alone that I am felling for firewood would easily pay for my dozer many times over. I think of bitzer and I think of the pavilion and equipment shed I want to build every time I put one down. The donut hole is now wall to wall with straight 20' to 30' tall 2" to 4" saplings. Those saplings are what took out my diverter wires and bented my hydraulic lines. The little dozer with its 6' blade just bowls them over. However, it doesn't have enough traction to uprooted them as it goes, which means I am creating and encountering spring loaded hazards at a level far above my experience and liking. I can't wait to be done at this site and move to a mature woods.

Here's a few pictures of the old dozer and some background shots:

The seat is not original. Nor are my homemade winch mount and the new muffler. All else pretty much is.
IMG_7119.JPG

First major mishap. Just one of many learning experiences. I previously knocked off the old muffler and put the first dent in the 64 year old sheet metal.
IMG_7102.JPG

"Custom" wrench I made to tension the tracks. Apparently, Deere has been making "compact" tractors long before that term became a benchmark.
IMG_7110.JPG

A few of the white oak logs. I started skidding 60' lengths, but the hill in the background proved too much so I started bucking to 20'.
IMG_7121.JPG

Nice hickory I felled today. The high lift on the blade is handy for knocking stems off those 3'+ tall stumps.
IMG_7167.JPG

White oak. Don't tell on me - I got a little short on that stump.
IMG_7120.JPG

Ron

Well, ripping the diverter wires and bending up my steel hydraulic lines on my little Deere 4710 pushed me over the edge. After a lot of research, weight limitations (wanted to keep my existing trailer) and nostalgia, I bought a 1958 John Deere 420C similarly equipped as my dad's 420W wheel tractor. It is a late model so it has the engine and transmissions upgrades like the early 440 but without the heavier finals. It weighs slightly over 6,000# and will pull its weight. Carburetor issues kept it sidelined for a while, but after the fourth float, we had a fit. In the meantime, I rebuilt the generator, replaced the points, coil, condenser, cap, rotor, wires and plugs, fashioned a winch mount and plumbed a small military surplus hydraulic humvee winch. I got a little anxious when I discovered that once again everything on the internet is not correct - in this case, the hydraulic system is not 1500 psi but rather a lowly 850 psi which means my winch will operate at about 60% of its rated capacity. Nevertheless, it works fine for the little dozer and I don't have the fear of grenading it like my last one that i was running at 170% or more of its capacity.

Old bitzer will have a cow as I am using the little dozer on a familiar site - a site over 6 years ago I was given permission to cut everything but saw timber. Being an igmo, saw timber to me is nice straight stuff 15" dbh or so and up. In 2016, I cut a bunch until bitzer pointed out I was cutting stuff he would sell. So I left the site with a big donut hole clearing I had made to fall trees into. Fast forward to the end of June of this year when the property was sold and the new owner gave the wood ministry 30 days to cut anything we wanted so long as we left 3' or higher stumps. The white oaks alone that I am felling for firewood would easily pay for my dozer many times over. I think of bitzer and I think of the pavilion and equipment shed I want to build every time I put one down. The donut hole is now wall to wall with straight 20' to 30' tall 2" to 4" saplings. Those saplings are what took out my diverter wires and bented my hydraulic lines. The little dozer with its 6' blade just bowls them over. However, it doesn't have enough traction to uprooted them as it goes, which means I am creating and encountering spring loaded hazards at a level far above my experience and liking. I can't wait to be done at this site and move to a mature woods.

The seat is not original. Nor are my homemade winch mount and the new muffler. All else pretty much is.
View attachment 1011496

First major mishap. Just one of many learning experiences. I previously knocked off the old muffler and put the first dent in the 64 year old sheet metal.
View attachment 1011498

"Custom" wrench I made to tension the tracks. Apparently, Deere has been making "compact" tractors long before that term became a benchmark.
View attachment 1011499

A few of the white oak logs. I started skidding 60' lengths, but the hill in the background proved too much so I started bucking to 20'.
View attachment 1011500

Nice hickory I felled today. The high lift on the blade is handy for knocking stems off those 3'+ tall stumps.
View attachment 1011504

View attachment 1011507

Ron
now yer loggin!

View attachment 1011496

View attachment 1011498

View attachment 1011499

View attachment 1011500

View attachment 1011504

View attachment 1011507

Ron
I want one!

hel ron you ain't living until yer running an 084 on spring boards cutting over yer head... (wait no... that totally sucked and I don't suggest it)

I’ve run a 395 overhead. My arms felt like jello for three days. An 084? On springboards? You’re more of a man than I, sir.

I’ve run a 395 overhead. My arms felt like jello for three days. An 084? On springboards? You’re more of a man than I, sir.
Think that was the day I finally broke a spring board... luckily the ground was soft and a slight slope so it was mostly funny.

Back