The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that’s a load of happy horse ****. Those things are expensive

Just have to watch the angle more with them vs the original ones on the pump otherwise they work the same and I could say better in all other respects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ouchie. I’ll be out tomorrow, in theory... I’m back into some boots with a soft toe regularly after spending all winter with my steelies on and I tried to balance a grouser pad on my right boot yesterday in the shop. Needless to say I was quickly reminded that I’m not in a hard toed boot anymore.

DON'T BE FOOLED BY ALL OF THE HYPE, THE MS500i AIN'T SO LIGHT

when it falls on the base of your middle toe handle first. Something tells me I will be hobbling in the morning. Good thing it is supposed to rain.

Ron
I thought they just floated in mid air if you let go of them? I love my steel toed boots, the several pairs I've had have saved my toes many times.

I usually wear Haix chainsaw protective boots. But this was to be a quick trip so I put on my leather hiking boots as they were more convenient. I wore the Haix boots today although I was mostly doing tractor work moving logs.

Ron

So this might be a little off topic but here goes. We had several significant wind events over the last few months. A 4'7" D-fir had its spike top blown out that landed on a crushed one of our 5k gallon water tanks and damaged the underground piping. We have the ok from the insurance company to proceed but we just found out that water tanks have risen 30-60% in price over the last two months due to the snowstorm that hit Texas. Additionally there is a four week lead time. There of course were the fires last year that also contributed to the shortage.

My question is in your area is there a shortage of tanks?

Right now it seems like any type of plastic product is in short supply or the price has jumped. I took delivery of five truckloads of PVC pipe last week to help out our supplier so they didn’t get the shaft on price.

These words almost seem like a jinx ... told my wife as I left the house, "I won't be long."

We had some heavy rains the last few days so I knew I wouldn't be doing much cutting, but thought I could buck up a 2' red oak that was just over the top of a little ravine. That part went well. Moving the second 10' log went well until I set it down to get a more balanced grip. Never made it back to the log. I slid into the stump of a blow down as I backed up the slope. I tried and tried to get unstuck, but just dug my little tractor in deeper even while pushing the grapple off a small tree.

IMG_6329.JPG

I started to prepare to walk home, then help from one of my friends on this forum came as I thought to myself I bet Gologit could use the grapple against the ground and drive this tractor out of here. But I don't have those skills, I better just hit the road. Then as if he were coaching me, I thought well he didn't learn by not trying. So I went to work, lifting the frontend and curling the grapple as the wheels spun in reverse. After 20 minutes, I was almost out but just couldn't quite make it. So I prepared to walk home and texted my wife that I was stuck and would be late. She offered to come help. I declined the offer since that likely meant a stuck or damaged truck. Then another forum friend, Northman, stepped in as if to say "This is an everyday thing; I work alone all the time and I wouldn't be walking home until I tried every resource." So after some further thought I rigged to a stump and tried to get the broken winch to run in the other gear - no go - it is toast in high and low. Then my little mental light lit dimly, how about attaching a choker to the grapple and to my rigging, curl the grapple, and repeat as necessary? Let's just say I didn't walk home. Supper was cold.

Thanks, guys for all your help and inspiration.

Ron

These words almost seem like a jinx ... told my wife as I left the house, "I won't be long."

We had some heavy rains the last few days so I knew I wouldn't be doing much cutting, but thought I could buck up a 2' red oak that was just over the top of a little ravine. That part went well. Moving the second 10' log went well until I set it down to get a more balanced grip. Never made it back to the log. I slid into the stump of a blow down as I backed up the slope. I tried and tried to get unstuck, but just dug my little tractor in deeper even while pushing the grapple off a small tree.

View attachment 905305

I started to prepare to walk home, then help from one of my friends on this forum came as I thought to myself I bet Gologit could use the grapple against the ground and drive this tractor out of here. But I don't have those skills, I better just hit the road. Then as if he were coaching me, I thought well he didn't learn by not trying. So I went to work, lifting the frontend and curling the grapple as the wheels spun in reverse. After 20 minutes, I was almost out but just couldn't quite make it. So I prepared to walk home and texted my wife that I was stuck and would be late. She offered to come help. I declined the offer since that likely meant a stuck or damaged truck. Then another forum friend, Northman, stepped in as if to say "This is an everyday thing; I work alone all the time and I wouldn't be walking home until I tried every resource." So after some further thought I rigged to a stump and tried to get the broken winch to run in the other gear - no go - it is toast in high and low. Then my little mental light lit dimly, how about attaching a choker to the grapple and to my rigging, curl the grapple, and repeat as necessary? Let's just say I didn't walk home. Supper was cold.

Thanks, guys for all your help and inspiration.

Ron
Now yer loggin

Cheap is in Cat’s vocabulary, but big machines still come with big bills. Around here, and I think it’s a common thread, Deere parts (like the ones for that 470) are higher than Cat, though Deere has a lower purchase price to get into a machine.

I didn’t spend too much time messing with it, and it’s on a lease-the last 349 I bought burned me back in 2020-which means Cat gets to fight with the repairs, not me.

Cheap is in Cat’s vocabulary, but big machines still come with big bills. Around here, and I think it’s a common thread, Deere parts (like the ones for that 470) are higher than Cat, though Deere has a lower purchase price to get into a machine.

I didn’t spend too much time messing with it, and it’s on a lease, the last 349 I bought burned me back in 2020, which means Cat gets to fight with the repairs, not me.
Deere up'ed the price on ALL of their parts, like 1000% even on the old stuff a couple years ago, so now I get everything online, or get the part # and go to my local NAPA, it takes about the same amount of time but I save 1000's vs messing with the stealership. The worst thing is having the dealer that sold your machine new, still sells the same make, lie and tell you its a "grey market machine" so parts are hard to find and going to be more expensive... news flash a JD 490E is IDENTICLE to an Hitachi ex120 except the motor, and the operator seat.

The Cat Dealer around here is expensive, but not real bad, however they also have parts guys that know how to look up parts WITHOUT a serial number.

I was just repeating CAT rumor trying to be funny - glad I was wrong. My CAT experience is limited to owning a key, a few hours running their largest skid steer, and a few minutes now and then pushing a log or two out of my way with a D6 and/or moving the D6 out of my way. I have more experience/time at the local Deere parts counter as a retail customer. I can feel your pain.
Ron

Back