The little XL that could.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
115 is STELLAR for these saws.
Screw both carb adjustment in till fully seated.
Pay attention to location of screw diver, back out both screws about 1.25 turns.

If it runs, give it gas & screw in your "H" screw until it idles enough (warmed up).
VERY FINICKY saws!
I have a love/hate relationship with mine!
The last person that worked on the Super XL put it back together without any carburetor mount or reed valve gaskets. I'll have to see what else he forgot to do...

Pay attention to location of screw diver, back out both screws about 1.25 turns.

If it runs, give it gas & screw in your "H" screw until it idles enough (warmed up).
VERY FINICKY saws!
Isn't the L screw for setting the idle?

They aren’t bad saws. Especially compared to the **** the consumer market offers now. But if your going for an older light weight saw a better choice is the Poulan S25DA. Stronger saw, better made (true pro saw). Simple design easy to work on. Just a great saw in general. If I’m going for a small Homelite I run the super EZ. Like the Poulan it’s a fantastic saw in every aspect. But the Super2 was a good saw

They aren’t bad saws. Especially compared to the **** the consumer market offers now. But if your going for an older light weight saw a better choice is the Poulan S25DA. Stronger saw, better made (true pro saw). Simple design easy to work on. Just a great saw in general. If I’m going for a small Homelite I run the super EZ. Like the Poulan it’s a fantastic saw in every aspect. But the Super2 was a good saw
You're correct, the S25DA is a great little saw also, I own two of them, thought I only owned one until I started digging around the garage. The great thing about all these saws is they can be bought for cheap. I paid $8 for the last S25DA and if I remember correctly it didn't need anything but fuel and bar oil...

Attachments

• Poulan Super 25DA-1.jpg
    Poulan Super 25DA-1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
You're correct, the S25DA is a great little saw also, I own two of them, thought I only owned one until I started digging around the garage. The great thing about all these saws is they can be bought for cheap. I paid $8 for the last S25DA and if I remember correctly it didn't need anything but fuel and bar oil...
Looks like my picture taking needs more improvement than the saw does...

Nice saw. Windsor speed tip on there too?
Yep, that's the $8 special I got at an auction a few years back..They gave me choice of several saws for 8 dollars each so I took a bunch of saws that day. The only regret was, they had some new McCulloch bars that were about 30" long for about 20 apiece and I only bought one...

I totally agree. Just picked up my third S25 from a member here. Roller nose bar, tillotson carb, and a cast muffler. All which I haven't seen on one of these.
20210614_144659.jpg20210614_144716.jpg
And you have to include the Echo 302 when you talk of well made small saws.
20210614_144750.jpg

Grabbed this in a local pawn shop for $100
Fired up on the third pull.
Great for bucking on the ground.

Attachments

• IMG_20200609_120751934.jpg
    IMG_20200609_120751934.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12

VERY FINICKY saws!
If you think 115# is stellar for a Super XL, how would you rate mine with 200#?

My Super 2 has 120#

If you think 115# is stellar for a Super XL, how would you rate mine with 200#?

My Super 2 has 120#
115 may be stellar but my other one has much more. I haven't checked it yet but it's much harder to pull the starter than the one with 115, which, by the way, I still can't get to start. After all the holiday festivities I'm gonna get back on that project and maybe do a pressure/vac test on it also...

What do you get for the duckbills?
I found the green poulans are a lot cheaper
I bought 15 of them on ebay, which I'm sure are Chinese, paid around twelve dollars for them. Looked like these were black. If they don't work very well I still have a small amount of original Homelite valves, maybe two or three..

So, anyone have a cheap replacement for the primer bulb caps on these? Or know of another type of cap that will fit?
Darn caps cost half what the saw is worth.
I have a Homelite 200 that had a primer bulb fuel cap but was damaged. I use the saw without it, just a few more pulls.

Homelite enthusiast in training [emoji879]

Back