The little XL that could.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Homelite 200 that had a primer bulb fuel cap but was damaged. I use the saw without it, just a few more pulls.

Homelite enthusiast in training [emoji879]
Most of my saws I do a primer bulb delete if I have to replace fuel lines. On my little XL I did a diaphragm delete on the oiler, saw oils just as good without it..just have to plug up the unused vac/pressure nozzles.

I now have all the little Homelites running but work still needs to be done. One of them has a stuck clutch so I'll have to replace it or fix whatever is the matter, one runs perfect, and still another just runs until the primer gas is burned up, it has carb issues but I think I may have a spare, assuming I can find it...

I agree. After you do it once it's not too bad.
Do you happen to have a source for crank seals for these saws? It runs good but just doesn't want to hold a tune.
SKF 4913 should be what you need. The Poulan Micro uses the same seals.

Any older saw like that can use a set of fresh seals, especially ones with that type of oiler system.

So, anyone have a cheap replacement for the primer bulb caps on these? Or know of another type of cap that will fit?
Darn caps cost half what the saw is worth.

You can pry the top ring holding that primer bulb on, ,then replace the bulb and use a little super glue to hold the ring back on. Done it several times.

I got back on the XLs today, the stuck clutch turned out to be the crankshaft nut was put on too tight, loosened it up about a fourth turn and it worked just fine. Didn't get around to the one that needed carb work yet, don't have a bar for it right now anyway but haven't thoroughly looked through all my spare parts yet, I can probably find one..

Found a few minutes this morning and tried again to start the Super XL with no luck. I put a little fuel in the spark plug hole and it hit a few times before it died. It has fuel in the tank and the fuel was going to the carburetor but apparently wasn't getting to the engine. I looked at the reed valve when I had it apart and it looked okay, replaced the gaskets on either side of it at that time. Apparently the pulse hole is okay or the carb wouldn't be getting fuel, I think. New spark plug. I still haven't done a pressure/vac test I checked it for spark by grounding the plug and cranking it over, did have spark but not the best I've seen.

I used 2 to make 1 decent saw.
Found out they were not all built the same.
I needed the good jug from one, & piston/crank from the other.
I was surprised to find plastic crank thrush washers on the bad piston/crank model.

Great little clamshell 33cc saws, punch above their pay grade with a good chain.
Mine has been pretty reliable but I rarely use it anymore.
Great camping saws!

I've quit the little Homelite XLs for a while because I'm getting inundated with the little Stihl chainsaws that are needing repaired plus I bought one for myself while at the flea market last weekend. I have an 017 and 018 to be rebuilt, (into 018s of course) plus the one I bought which was an 017..then I'll try to finish up the Homelites. I still have a Super XL that I haven't been able to get running..

Ive ran more than one modded Stihl MS 170 (AF carb, bar, MM) & IT WONT outcut a vintage Homelite Little Red XL IMHO!

Never owned a MS 170 in fairness...

Ran several & felt handicapped.
Not for me personally, my little Red XL will SMOKE IT!

Latest posts

Back