The made in north america Old Magnesium Swap Meet.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking for ANY 60+CC Metal MAC,HOMIE,PIONEER that needs a good loving home!!! Looking for a project saw.....anybody got anything to offer???

Will pay shipping of course

Help a young up and coming CAD victim out fellas!!!

I got a Homie C-7 suffering from white death. I can't bring myself to toss it. I'm sure there's some good parts. I can post pics this afternoon if interested.

I got an Echo CS-900 I'm working on now. I think it needs front av mounts. I'd like to get it running. I don't think it needs much. Anyone got parts?

An older gentleman gave me a handful of dirty old saws recently, two of which are super xl autos. I've got them torn down and I'm gonna make one runner out of the two of them. I'll have some good left over parts though that I'd be happy to send to a good home. I do have 3 questions for you guys...

- How do you remove the inner chain/bar guide (?) ( the thin pice of metal) It seems to be stuck on the rear bar stud.

- how do you get the needle bearings back onto the big end of the connecting rod and crankshaft. My guess is a little grease and VERY CAREFULLY.

- I see no provisions for impulse on the carb. Is that where the reed valves come into play?

Thanks, This site has been a wealth of info for me.

I got a Homie C-7 suffering from white death. I can't bring myself to toss it. I'm sure there's some good parts. I can post pics this afternoon if interested.

I got an Echo CS-900 I'm working on now. I think it needs front av mounts. I'd like to get it running. I don't think it needs much. Anyone got parts?

What exactly is white death. sorry for the stupid question, but if i dont ask, ill never know....if its fixable, id take it off your hands.

Looked like it sat in the dirt for many years and rotted out the bottom of the case. I got it that way in a pile of stuff I traded for. I can post pics this afternoon.

Looking for ANY 60+CC Metal MAC,HOMIE,PIONEER that needs a good loving home!!! Looking for a project saw.....anybody got anything to offer???

Help a young up and coming CAD victim out fellas!!!

Me too. If anybody has Mac 125/797/790/850/99 etc. or Homelite 550/650/750/1020/1130/2100 they are tired of tripping over.

I'd gladly put $8 towards shipping. :D

What exactly is white death. sorry for the stupid question, but if i dont ask, ill never know....if its fixable, id take it off your hands.

White Death defined:

attachment.php

Never leave a mag. saw on a concrete floor wet or dry. Same for dirt floor.

An older gentleman gave me a handful of dirty old saws recently, two of which are super xl autos. I've got them torn down and I'm gonna make one runner out of the two of them. I'll have some good left over parts though that I'd be happy to send to a good home. I do have 3 questions for you guys...

- How do you remove the inner chain/bar guide (?) ( the thin pice of metal) It seems to be stuck on the rear bar stud.

Start prying with a small/thin screwdriver. I bet the plate has a bur in the hole or on the stud.

- how do you get the needle bearings back onto the big end of the connecting rod and crankshaft. My guess is a little grease and VERY CAREFULLY.

Yup. Use an 'L' shape rod or allen wrench with a rubber band the hold the cap w/needles in place while you carefully position the con. rod and run the screws in.

- I see no provisions for impulse on the carb. Is that where the reed valves come into play?

Yup, look for a small hole/passage that bypasses the reed plates. Make sure it is clear.

A Homie SXL or XL-12 is an excellent place to start your CAD experience.

I've seen a few inner bar plates that have tabs that 'grip' the studs. Carefully bend those away from the stud and it'll slide right off.

Grease and a steady hand. Make sure you don't knock any loose upon assembly.

There is an impulse passage through the carb spacer and gasket that feeds a port on the gasket surface of the carb.

Reed valves have nothing to do with the impulse signal going to the carb. They keep the fuel air charge (that was drawn into the crankcase when the piston went 'up') from being pushed back out through the carb when the piston goes back 'down' (so it instead goes through the transfer ports and into the cylinder). The same thing is also done with a rotary valve (on rotary/disc valve 2-strokes) or the the piston skirt (acting as a valve) on piston port engines.

I have a couple of locked-up Mall 11 motors I wish somebody would come by here and get................I just don't believe in tossing such things.
Igpoe:cheers:

I have a great place to dump those........ Same place your last junk pile went.....

EDIT:
BTW I ended up giving most of the last bunch away. I kept the 1-50, the 11, the homelite 500 and one old AH47 saw.

Last edited:
So, its the white residue left from the corrosion of the magnesium? is that right? wheres the best place to strore?

That's the magnesium oxide. It forms as the mag corrodes. Mag corrosion (AKA White Death) breaks up the surface of the magnesium, because the mag oxide formed is larger than the original magnesium (same thing with rust and steel). This continuously exposes 'new' mag to oxidize. The stuff just crumbles away. The only way to get rid of it is to carefully remove all the corroded mag until you hit the shiney stuff. If you leave any corroded/grey mag (in pits/pockmarks), it will start corroding again. Put a coating of oil (or good paint) on the shiny, exposed mag. Store the saws away from moisture. Put them on a shelf, or if they must be on the floor then put them on a board or a thick sheet of cardboard. The plastic coated cardboard bottled water/soda/beer 'flats' work well, and keep leaking bar oil off of your floor and shelves as a bonus. Keep them away from bleach as well. Bleach is murder on mag parts.

Here's some pics of my C-7. Internals may be OK, I haven't looked. I have enough other projects. If someone has a C-7 they don't want, I'll take it and make a good saw from 2. Otherwise, I'll trade this one for parts for other saws I have. I just don't want it sitting aroound like this.

View attachment 221972View attachment 221973View attachment 221974View attachment 221975View attachment 221976

Here's some pics of my C-7. Internals may be OK, I haven't looked. I have enough other projects. If someone has a C-7 they don't want, I'll take it and make a good saw from 2. Otherwise, I'll trade this one for parts for other saws I have. I just don't want it sitting aroound like this.

View attachment 221972View attachment 221973View attachment 221974View attachment 221975View attachment 221976

Well i doubt i have any parts you need...would you take cash? lol

I'd be interested in it as well. I could make it 'whole' again with some C-5 parts that I have. Shipping costs would probably make the deal not worth while however. I don't have the parts you're looking for (for your other saws) either. How much $$$ would you need to get out of it (not counting shipping)? Do you need any of the parts/stuff that i listed on the first page of this thread?

Last edited:
I'd have to check shipping costs but what's it worth? I have no idea as to what dollar value to place on it as I have not taken it apart to see what all is wrong with it. Might be a boat anchor. $25? + S&H?

I'd have to check shipping costs but what's it worth? I have no idea as to what dollar value to place on it as I have not taken it apart to see what all is wrong with it. Might be a boat anchor. $25? + S&H?

I remember you mentioning this saw in another thread. Can't remember if you checked the piston/cylinder through the exhaust port, or whether or not the saw was locked up. The answers would affect things here.....

Latest posts

Back