The rise of a Riteway M37...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harleyboy

Reaction score
Greetings, first post here. I ran a Riteway M37 for a short time about 20 years ago and was very new to wood burning. I've run a jotul oslo 500 in the living room and a quadrafire 5700 ACT in the basement since then and clean my 3 chimneys myself.. I basically am tired of constantly adjusting, moving wood around in the stove and just plain fiddling to keep a proper burn going and that's with even installing a auber temperature guage on the quadrafire with the readout upstairs so I don't have to make so many trips downstairs to see how things are going....so looking at my hardley used riteway , it has a large firebox, reloading standing up instead of kneeling in front and the big selling point for me which the newest quadrafire stoves now have is the bimetal coil controling air flow as the stove heats and cools...i know all about the air tubes giving a secondary combustion and basically burning all the smoke on the newer stoves and the Riteway won't be that efficient but if run properly I think I can deal with using 20% more wood use just so I can let the stove work for 4 or 5 hours until I need to add more wood.... anyway the Riteway has been hardley used and I have an extra center bar and 2 shaker grates and I am psyched up. One last thing on a long post... I now know to adjust the air intake flapper so it can't shut completely and smoulder...billowing smoke like before but to be opened some at it's lowest setting so fresh air is always present and have even contemplated putting a air inlet spinner on the top left side to get some fresh air in to the combustable smoke high up in the fire box but I want to hold off and see how the first year burning goes........ thanks for reading a long one,,,,,,, regards, homie

I have a Riteway model 37 with the catalytic option.

It sitting in my shop unused.

We heat with a Jotul F600CB

The Model 37 is a kick ass wood stove.

Greetings, first post here. I ran a Riteway M37 for a short time about 20 years ago and was very new to wood burning. I've run a jotul oslo 500 in the living room and a quadrafire 5700 ACT in the basement since then and clean my 3 chimneys myself.. I basically am tired of constantly adjusting, moving wood around in the stove and just plain fiddling to keep a proper burn going and that's with even installing a auber temperature guage on the quadrafire with the readout upstairs so I don't have to make so many trips downstairs to see how things are going....so looking at my hardley used riteway , it has a large firebox, reloading standing up instead of kneeling in front and the big selling point for me which the newest quadrafire stoves now have is the bimetal coil controling air flow as the stove heats and cools...i know all about the air tubes giving a secondary combustion and basically burning all the smoke on the newer stoves and the Riteway won't be that efficient but if run properly I think I can deal with using 20% more wood use just so I can let the stove work for 4 or 5 hours until I need to add more wood.... anyway the Riteway has been hardley used and I have an extra center bar and 2 shaker grates and I am psyched up. One last thing on a long post... I now know to adjust the air intake flapper so it can't shut completely and smoulder...billowing smoke like before but to be opened some at it's lowest setting so fresh air is always present and have even contemplated putting a air inlet spinner on the top left side to get some fresh air in to the combustable smoke high up in the fire box but I want to hold off and see how the first year burning goes........ thanks for reading a long one,,,,,,, regards, homie

I used a paper clip on the intake air flapper on the 37 for a minimum burn setting. Then I fashioned a sheet metal wedge that would slide into the flapper opening so it has an adjustable minimum burn setting.

The Rise of the Riteway M37 revisited...................The following is update to July 22,2022 post I did titled "The rise of a Riteway M37 Long story short it didn't work... so I am back to using Quadrafire steptop M 5700. The stack just above stove still had the auber temp. guage attached and about 6 times I had out of control combustion hitting 700º+ degrees and had to abort (used sand)..kinda scary....I really tried with amount of wood in fire box, positioning and type of wood used, different setting on bimetal coil ect ect but never could relax with steady even temps. Wood us was very high maybe 40% more wood than quadrafire and also no matter what I did smoke was really bad. I have neighbors that aren't real close but one day I was trying to do yard work and I happen to be down wind from my stove and I really couldn't take the smoke and smell.....SO by giving it the old college try I think I appreciate my quadrafire alot more...I have a Quadrafire with ACT air control (basically manuel rod pushed in or out and rod on right for extra start up air) the latest models have what they call ACC combustion control and that is using a bi-metal coil with a lo, med., and high setting to continually add air automatically as needed. That makes alot of sense but I don't want to buy another wood stove and don't really know if that system doesn't have some issues of it's own. Anyway my quadrafire burns real clean, puts out alot of heat per load and keeps very even temperatures.....so far I'm appreciating what it can do....

Back