the scumbags finally hit my wood pile

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve heard a story of a guy who cut a hole in a few logs and filled them with a bit of fun powder then plugged the hole. I’m guessing that guy never stole logs again.
As tempting as that sounds, you have just as much chance of wounding or killing an innocent bystander as you do the perp.

What if he sells the wood to someone or it blows up around a lady or child.

Here's my take.
People are going to steal, no way around that.

So you have to catch them by chance, as your brother-in-law did.
Or, you have to catch them on camera.
That requires some planning, and effort and expense on your part, or mine, or who ever thinks getting ripped off is a real possibility for them.
Which it is for any of us...

So to change the direction of this conversation to pro-active (in a non violent way)....
what is the best camera system to use that will get something better than blurry pictures, and perhaps work with a smart phone to notify you of activity?

I've thought of getting a camera system for years, but never been a huge priority...
in part because I'm not educated on the subject and I don't know what to get.
The best security for my small equipment has been a shipping container with covered lock on the doors.
I still feel vulnerable as I often leave the splitter out, cabled to the conveyor. Wouldn't take much to lift it with the abundance of cordless tools available to cut cables.

What are you using, or know of something maybe a friend or neighbor is using to protect themselves?
If I'm going to spend some bucks on a camera system or security system, what's the best bang for the buck?

Here's my take.
People are going to steal, no way around that.

So you have to catch them by chance, as your brother-in-law did.
Or, you have to catch them on camera.
That requires some planning, and effort and expense on your part, or mine, or who ever thinks getting ripped off is a real possibility for them.
Which it is for any of us...

So to change the direction of this conversation to pro-active (in a non violent way)....
what is the best camera system to use that will get something better than blurry pictures, and perhaps work with a smart phone to notify you of activity?

I've thought of getting a camera system for years, but never been a huge priority...
in part because I'm not educated on the subject and I don't know what to get.
The best security for my small equipment has been a shipping container with covered lock on the doors.
I still feel vulnerable as I often leave the splitter out, cabled to the conveyor. Wouldn't take much to lift it with the abundance of cordless tools available to cut cables.

What are you using, or know of something maybe a friend or neighbor is using to protect themselves?
If I'm going to spend some bucks on a camera system or security system, what's the best bang for the buck?
Dont buy a system from a box store go online. Call the people in the link I posted and ask what the best system is and cameras.
https://securitycamerasdirect.com/products/retail/security-camera-systems/

There are deterrents, as previously mentioned, that signal additional risk for a thief.
Signs, dogs, fences and gates, etc.
We have two dogs, the complete opposite of vicious, but they make a great deal of noise to alert us if home. They are actually just a noisy welcoming committee. One is a pitbull and one is a golden retriever.
And we are home a lot. However, google our home, which is what thieves do, and you will see what's in the driveway (cars, boats, RV's, whatever you might have), that we are several hundred feet off the road (which is also a deadend road), a heavily wooded lot, and no close by neighbors.
We have a circle drive near the house and wood shed, and Sunday mornings we do get drive thru's on occassion.
I have previously posted of coming in the drive at dusk on a Saturday evening to find a guy here, claiming he thought the house was for sale. He refused to show me his ID, he left and I got his plate. I called the sheriff. The dogs were up north at my wife's family cottage with her for the weekend.
The next day the sheriff told me they went to his house immediately after running the plate, and he claimed he had not been out, but the hood of his truck was warm, and his dog matched my description. When they ran his name, and he was scheduled to go to court for breaking and entering. Go figure.
In my case, they called him an "uninvited visitor", and gave him a verbal warning. Nothing illegal to pursue.
At one time we had three teenagers coming and going, so that for a time was another deterrent. But now, the truth is, I feel vulnerable. For one, when the kids were growing up we didn't own much. It wasn't until the oldest began college that we bought a used quad, and added to that, little by little. In the scheme of things, we still don't have a lot, but what we have would be hard for us financially to replace, and honestly, we probably wouldn't. Insurance coverage is certainly iffy, with most items that can be carried off heavily depreciation by age.
So back to suggestions on what camera system would work, would be sufficient, and what to stay away from.

My game cameras take pretty good pic. I used to keep them up at my old home to catch deer pics. Clearer than most of the security camera pics I see posted of thieves all the time on farsebook. The range for motion detection I think is about 60ft. I know I got pics of my SIL riding her horses at pretty long range. My biggest problem seemed to be if the wind was blowing. The shaking of the leaves resulted in lots of pictures of leaves. I think if I was going to invest in a dedicated security system, my one major requirement would be clear pictures, day and night. I have been considering buying one of those game cameras that contacts you over the internet. We use them hunting on the coast and we can tell if a bear hits a bait pile when we are 500 miles away. Several guys I hunt with have those type game cameras and everybody gets notifications. That way we can bait several areas at one time and then pick the bear we want to run the next morning. I'll be putting a few of them out in a couple more weeks.

For whatit's worth, I have a 8 camera system I picked off of amazon. Currently running 4 of them with fairly good coverage of the property. At least around where anyone would be sniffing around. Picture quality is ok, weve gotten plate numbers off it driving by the house, and turning around in our driveway. I've been waiting to put the other cameras up till when we redo the roof. Get a few higher up. The night vision is kinda crappy, but we have motion lights all around the house, makes it look like high noon on a moonless night. It says "zosie" on the cameras. Theres a way to hook it up to the internet but I never bothered. Has battery backup, and 1tb hard drive. Runs a little over a month before it writes over the video again. I'm sure there arw much better options out there, but that's what we could afford at the time. Gotten plenty of delivery drivers in trouble for driving through the yard, instead of backing in the driveway. I'd really like a wireless set up for out by the wood shed pointing toward the house but my system doesnt support it.

I like the direction this discussion is going.

Keeping things out of view is great for theft prevention. The combination of signs, gates, cameras, and other deterrents all help. Also having a nosey neighbor that you like is very helpful. My neighbor and I will check in with each other at the cabin if we hear anything out of sorts. He has caught people trying to leave the area and although we did not observe them doing anything wrong, they were very shady with their excuses for being in my other neighbor's yard.

As I mentioned I have problems at my cabin because I do not own my driveway so I cannot post it. I do park my vehicle at the end of my yard where the driveway starts so if someone does drive in to snoop (which happens frequently on week days as they figure there is nobody around), they then get to back up the driveway for 250 yards without a turn around. Serves them right for being nosey. I cannot tell you how many times I have caught people down in my yard with the excuse "I didn't know anything was down here". Well buddy, you drove past three fire numbers and another cabin, did you really think we just put up fire numbers for fun around here on empty roads?

One thing to consider on cameras. If possible, you want to get a security system versus a game camera that has celluar data. The game cameras have a 15 minute delay as to prevent people from using them for hunting purposes.

Some "no tresspasing" signs ON the stacked wood may help deter some too. Perhaps another sign that states "smile, you're on camera" will deter the rest. Cameras are really tiny these days and they can be hidden enywhere and be impossible to spot, so you don't even really need to put up a camera.

This has worked for us. Stapled right to the logs. Even better to put name and phone number or company info on it.

At that point, there is no question it's theft. No way to argue "was just sitting there".

Last theft, we had the troopers involved.
The thief had to pay full value of the logs or deal with a felony conviction.

I am not so sure about the 15 min delay. I know we have put up cameras and had pictures before we could get back to camp. The pics are time stamped and I know it hasnt been 15min. from the time the pic was taken and the time it showed an alert on my cell phone. we have also put up cameras and then activated the motion detector to make sure it is working, that didnt take 15 min either. More like 2 or 3 min. Might be brand of camera, I dont know.

I use a cheap solar powered motion strobe on our property , it’s very effective at giving the allusion that you’re being caught on a surveillance system.

We used a game camera an entire summer capturing people’s reaction to having 6 rapid strobe flashes hit them in the face when they entered our lane ..it had just about a 100% success rate of making people turn tail and haul ass.

I am not so sure about the 15 min delay. I know we have put up cameras and had pictures before we could get back to camp. The pics are time stamped and I know it hasnt been 15min. from the time the pic was taken and the time it showed an alert on my cell phone. we have also put up cameras and then activated the motion detector to make sure it is working, that didnt take 15 min either. More like 2 or 3 min. Might be brand of camera, I dont know.
They could just be saying it’s 15 and actually sending them sooner as well.

Back