The senix 4 stroke.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burning man

Formerly known as TheBrushSlasher
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked it up yesterday and used it a bit today. Its weird not smelling two stroke exhaust and hearing what sounds like a Honda weed eater. It's got grunt for a 45-50cc saw. It was a little finicky on dead cold start but starts with 1 pull after warming up and a few more after sitting a couple of hours. I don't get how it got an on par with a ms170 comparison because it's miles better than that in my opinion.
I'll do a video Friday so I can put it up against my g5000.
IMG_20211124_134901206.jpgIMG_20211124_134908463.jpg

The fact that he compared it to it, shows were it is in the pecking order. I don't want a 50 cc saw that feels like a strong 30 cc saw. Don't want the added weight or complexity either.

Who's "he" because I didn't say that. Anyways I'll run it against my Tanaka labeled g5000 because it is the same cc and same weight or the redmax 450avs. Surprisingly this one didn't need to be tuned out box.

Where is your nearest authorized service dealer? How much for having the valves adjusted? What happens when the saw is near an upside down position cutting limbs? Will the oil pump starve for oil? Sorry but I will decline the invitation along with the added weight.

For the dealer shop rate around here it would be cheaper to buy a new one. As for running it near upside down limbing it did fine.

Glad you started this thread. Hopefully when you do your comparison you will switch to the same chain for both in the test. I can see you still have the skip sequence these things come with. Reading these things have grunt for the displacement has to be questioned if that is the only chain you have used so far.

Perhaps you could, after a while comment on how hot the muffler gets as with my catalyst saw with that general layout I have been burned a few times sharpening the chain without waiting a while, four strokes will have hotter exhaust parts. Also how about the vibration, a four stroke would seem to slow and speed up more due to the compression and power strokes being farther apart, not sure the valve train would add much vibration. Perhaps the added weight will sort of offset this.

My objection to this model is that unlike the 4 cycle Makita leaf blower for example it does not come with the clean air index tag on the saw and the sticker on the box, well I have not seen the box but it is on the shelf at Tractor supply nearby with no tag. I think someone else has stated there is no such thing on the box. Also the three choices of how long the muffler is rated for is missing.

Why buy this one if the larger displacement ones will come available also comes into play as I can see how to buy a shipping container full of the larger displacement ones. I have not spent any effort trying to find the parts sheets for these.

Glad you started this thread. Hopefully when you do your comparison you will switch to the same chain for both in the test. I can see you still have the skip sequence these things come with. Reading these things have grunt for the displacement has to be questioned if that is the only chain you have used so far.

Perhaps you could, after a while comment on how hot the muffler gets as with my catalyst saw with that general layout I have been burned a few times sharpening the chain without waiting a while, four strokes will have hotter exhaust parts. Also how about the vibration, a four stroke would seem to slow and speed up more due to the compression and power strokes being farther apart, not sure the valve train would add much vibration. Perhaps the added weight will sort of offset this.

My objection to this model is that unlike the 4 cycle Makita leaf blower for example it does not come with the clean air index tag on the saw and the sticker on the box, well I have not seen the box but it is on the shelf at Tractor supply nearby with no tag. I think someone else has stated there is no such thing on the box. Also the three choices of how long the muffler is rated for is missing.

Why buy this one if the larger displacement ones will come available also comes into play as I can see how to buy a shipping container full of the larger displacement ones. I have not spent any effort trying to find the part s sheets for these.
I will be using the bar and chain on my g5000 even if I have to swap clutch drums for the comparison since they use the same style clutch and bar mount. The vibration was a little more than other saws I run but I think that's because the rubber on the front handle is a little thinner. there was nothing on the box mine came in for the clean air index and didn't see anything on the one at our local tractor supply.

Who cares about the emissions? I mean seriously? If that's a concern for you, then maybe a combustion powered saw isn't for you, and neither is burning wood.
It has to do with the level playing field. Arbitrary and capricious enforcement is another term I have heard. What you type above is another matter. USA is supposed to do some fleet average where Europe seems to be pass fail.

If you notice the Diesel Dan fines they came from a private lawsuit as opposed to Government initiated court proceedings. Not so sure I think this is good.

typically a 4 stroke saw needs to be a larger displacement to compete with a 2 stroke saw, similar to dirt bikes ata : 450f four stroke and 250 2 stroke in cc's
To the first part my Honda brushcutters have the two valves totally in line/ parallel to the cylinder bore, pretty primitive. Any idea if this senix is more involved. There is a limit to the air cooled power available and the two cycle gets more cooling from the vaporization of the fuel.

As to the second part and dirt bikes, I think the high revving super over square 4 valve designs exceed the two cycle designs of recent. Take the 250 years ago they all seem to be 72mm stroke and what 66.4mm bore to make 249cc. the four cycle ones are what like 60mm stroke. I am not up on what dyno guys or the certificate of origion is on them,. Seems off road the two cycle is preferred by top riders and in motocross it is the four stroke though in motocross I doubt they compete for the same trophies, At least in the AA and pro classes.

To the first part my Honda brushcutters have the two valves totally in line/ parallel to the cylinder bore, pretty primitive. Any idea if this senix is more involved. There is a limit to the air cooled power available and the two cycle gets more cooling from the vaporization of the fuel.

As to the second part and dirt bikes, I think the high revving super over square 4 valve designs exceed the two cycle designs of recent. Take the 250 years ago they all seem to be 72mm stroke and what 66.4mm bore to make 249cc. the four cycle ones are what like 60mm stroke. I am not up on what dyno guys or the certificate of origion is on them,. Seems off road the two cycle is preferred by top riders and in motocross it is the four stroke though in motocross I doubt they compete for the same trophies, At least in the AA and pro classes.
i have no idea how complex the 4 stroke saw is , my point was it takes more cc's for the 4-stroke saws to compete head to head with a 2-stroke variant ...as in 2-versus 4 stroke dirt bikes.. so comparing a larger also heavier 4-stroke saw against a smaller 2-stroke series ... is a fair comparison

Who cares about the emissions? I mean seriously? If that's a concern for you, then maybe a combustion powered saw isn't for you, and neither is burning wood.
I'm not worried about it .
It has to do with the level playing field. Arbitrary and capricious enforcement is another term I have heard. What you type above is another matter. USA is supposed to do some fleet average where Europe seems to be pass fail.

If you notice the Diesel Dan fines they came from a private lawsuit as opposed to Government initiated court proceedings. Not so sure I think this is good.
If these saws violated emissions laws retail outlets like tractor supply and Lowes would have pulled them by now to avoid liability. The diesel brothers case was pretty cut and dry because the things they were doing were televised. A wood cutters saw won't get looked at unless they start a Forest fire.

The four stroke's displacement classes in AMA pro racing were chosen to make the four strokes competitive out of the gate in the late '90s. Four stroke motorcycle tech has improved greatly since then. The 450s make much more power than 250 two strokes and the same is true of the 250 four strokes and 125 two strokes. The manufacturers who call the shots for the AMA felt that four strokes were the future due to expected emissions laws, even though Honda for one had low emissions two strokes that raced in Dakar and Baja, and then sold 250 dual purpose low emissions two strokes in the rest of the world. They wanted the fields to be full of the new four strokes not old two strokes.

Two strokes need roughly a square bore/stroke ratio for best flow from the ports. Too short a stroke and the ports are just too small. Look at the cylinder of a recent two stroke road race bike and you'll see a forest of transfers, seven or more. Where as four strokes with valves in the head don't need cylinder wall area for flow so the stroke can be super short. Saw two strokes have short strokes for packaging, and they are industrial engines with small ports so they don't need the wall area.

I will be using the bar and chain on my g5000 even if I have to swap clutch drums for the comparison since they use the same style clutch and bar mount. The vibration was a little more than other saws I run but I think that's because the rubber on the front handle is a little thinner. there was nothing on the box mine came in for the clean air index and didn't see anything on the one at our local tractor supply.

The emissions label says 50 hrs and it's on the rear handle. I didn't get a chance to do a video today because the Mac salad was out to long yesterday and I'm an idiot because I was messing around with the saw and didn't make the pushrods were still in the right place, i'm just like wtf it ran fine. Anyway I put the intake pushrod back in place and and it fired up in two pulls.

Back