The weekend grind. My first 2 cords, and my first time running a real chipper.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 188535

Chainsaw-wielding middle-schooler
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Way back in October, I picked up an old rusty axe and put a tiny dent in the surface of the woodpile in my side yard splitting almost every day after school. Unfortunately, The axe broke. My mother then gave me the money to get a new Stihl axe under the condition that I would split all of the wood. I learned the hard way that not all axes are meant for splitting with wedges so after some warranty hullabaloo, the Stihl tech replaced it with a new Stihl cleaving hammer ( Maul ), I kept going and finally split 2 cords of wood. There were a lot of pieces of bark and leaves left behind, so I and my dad went and rented an Eliet Major chipper for the day. We unloaded it on a rainy night, and I went to town on the mountains of leaves, rotten wood, sticks, and leaves while making enough garden mulch for a year. We returned it, and the rental guy showed me the stock room. I spotted an old BT 108 Auger that I hope to purchase from them so I can fix it and use it in the garden. I also picked up some old Stihl paraphernalia and we went on our way stopping by the grocery store afterward. I went to sleep and the next morning cleaned out my mom's azalea bushes and flower beds and mulched them for the first time in 3 years with the wood chips. I finished the day off by cutting a stump so I could grind it after school on Monday. I then was surprised on Sunday night by my dad reminding me that I had a dermatologist appointment the next day to remove benign abscesses. The day ended with me talking with a neighbor about my garden clean-up services. I write this as an autistic 13-year-old not looking forward to school the next day, but glad of my achievements. How did I do?

Attachments

• 20230304_151421.jpg
    20230304_151421.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230302_175227.jpg
    20230302_175227.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230305_122711.jpg
    20230305_122711.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 0
Yep. Thought of how most of my generation wants to be on their phones instead of working and complains when they have to work. But meanwhile I split wood, do woodworking, mountain bike, volunteer to maintain the places where I mountain bike, and garden for fun and some money.
I like that 200T Avatar.

Yep. Thought of how most of my generation wants to be on their phones instead of working and complains when they have to work. But meanwhile I split wood, do woodworking, mountain bike, volunteer to maintain the places where I mountain bike, and garden for fun and some money.
You should be proud of your accomplishments. You did more than most adults could or would.

Awesome stuff! Once a hustler, always a hustler! I don’t do much side work anymore, Have enough of my own stuff to do. However with that work ethic and drive you’ll continue to make it profitable to yourself just like I have. It’s nice making money on the tractor for the neighbors, yet if either I don’t want to do it or they think my price is too high we just move along.

You done good young man.
This ^

You should be proud of your accomplishments.
... and this ^

your parents should be proud :)
... and this ^ too!

Most impressed by your attitude
... and +1 ^

Very impressive work AND very well written post
Yep!

Keep up the good work!
Yep!

I'm sure you'll do well in life.
and this too ^

Back