The worst you have worn a chain without wearing out the cutters.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob066

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have A stihl rs chain that I cut so much wood it that it worn to the rivets. Yes its been sharp with good oil. It has been used mostly in clean wood thanks to the PA drout.

I have had them stretch to the point it no longer adjusts tight, and normally I just remove a link and keep cutting.
I have spliced several chain sections into one loop, sometimes miss matched.
A couple loops that was full comp stihl RM that got rocked, now with a section of was square ground full skip added in place.
Cuts smooth, and just as fast & easy as regular full comp 3/8" RM.
people see it on the saw and think i'm a cheapskate who doesn't know anything, and they're mostly right.
I can't imagine worn to the rivets...

A guy recently told me that buck cutting pin oak will actually sharpen a chain. You may find this hard to believe and I still do not. My experience has been just the opposite. I have never heard of wood sharpening a chain. I wonder what his "secret" is? Any ideas?

One sawyer brought in a chain loop for me to sharpen. Four cutters were missing, but the rest were in good shape. He said, "Just sharpen it. I can live with missing cutters." Three of them were on the right, one was on the left. Had it been my chain, I would have replaced the loop.

Latest posts

Back