Things I learned this week

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel like I am coming out of the closet admitting this to the public.My parents opened our water acsess only fishing resort in 1947 and it is still in the family .My father was a wonderfull very professional man liked by all who met him.My father was around 76 years old and his health was going down hill he only guided one party of guests who were customers from the early fifties a lawyer and his sons from Chicago.We used Omc 9.9s and 15hps at the time.He wanted a bigger engine as he was taking them to a larger lake he contacted the owner of another resort and told him he wanted a 20 hp OMC but IT HAD BETTER TROLL WELL the motor was delivered to the landing and I brought it across and put it on my dads boat my dad told me change the plugs and gap them and put in one hotter heat range and make sure there Champions.I tested the motor ran great trolled good for a twenty brought it back to the beach and swapped plugs as I was finishing the phone rang in the fish house it was Garnet my new boss I had started for CN Rail Signals that morning June 19 1975 he said we had a trouble call .I threw the cover on the twenty jumped in my boat and went to make 6 hours gravy over time.I left for work the next morning and when I came home I saw the 20hp sitting on the beach with a note to return it to owner I could not help myself and threw the motor on a boat and tried to start it after a couple pulls I new with a sick feeling in my guts I had reversed the spark plug wires changed them then she fired right up. When I returned the motor Brian told me that my dad and had called him and in plain english had expressed his displeasure in no uncertain terms.I confessed to him what I had done he knew my dad so he took it well.I broached the subject gently with my my dad but he was still a little hot under the collar for about a week he explained things such as being responsible paying attention completing a task etc etc.
Kash

I have 3 or 4 saws over here that I can't quite figure out what's wrong. I've checked everything I can think of and yet nothing. One example: McCulloch 3200 (I think that's the number), 150 compression, good spark, new fuel. Put a small amount of fuel in the sparkplug hole and it won't hit even once. I haven't checked yet but the only thing I can come up with is a sheared key on the flywheel allowing spark but at the wrong time. If that's not it then I don't know what to check next...
Same thing happened to me with a Farm Boss about 10 years ago. I replaced the flywheel and it wasn't tight enough. That sheared the key and ruined the timing. So, the "good spark" was going to waste. I removed the wheel, replaced the snapped key, and this time I tightened the nut to specs. Engine then started right up.

I have 3 or 4 saws over here that I can't quite figure out what's wrong. I've checked everything I can think of and yet nothing. One example: McCulloch 3200 (I think that's the number), 150 compression, good spark, new fuel. Put a small amount of fuel in the sparkplug hole and it won't hit even once. I haven't checked yet but the only thing I can come up with is a sheared key on the flywheel allowing spark but at the wrong time. If that's not it then I don't know what to check next...
If the carb is flooding, same thing can happen

As mentioned, so often the saw is just BADLY flooded and the owner doesn't know how to unflood it. Just letting it sit won't do it, even with the plug out. Do a search on "flooded engine".

Back