Thinking about 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

occisor arboris

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Over a decade ago, I responded to a Craigslist ad for a “large” stihl chainsaw for sale for $100. No picture in the ad. I used to do some tree trimming work before college and was thinking of picking up a saw to get some exercise by cutting up trees in my DC suburb and make beer money on the weekends. When I got to the house, the guy told me he was a reformed hippie who started a tree trimming service with his dad’s old saw but that he just didn’t like the vibe of killing trees. The saw turned out to be this giant hunk of metal that I’d never heard of - 056 magnum II. Made in West Germany. It fired right up, I paid the $100 bucks. Took a few uses to get used to the weight and the power especially for felling. I’d never used a saw bigger than 60ccs before and the weight of this thing is plain crazy at first. Nevertheless, in the decade since I’ve hauled that saw with me all over the United States through several moves and it has never let me down and there have been several times when I truly needed it. Had some great times doing tree work with my daughters, most recently some thirty inch pecan logs that we cut into slabs after the tree fell on my neighbors fence. It still starts in a few pulls and runs great. I’ve grown pretty attached to the damn thing. But, a guy in my neighborhood has a Stihl 660 that he wants $500 for. I hate to buy a back up/replacement when the old girl has never let me down. But, I’m thinking the 660 will be easy to find parts for and $500 seems like a good price. Am I correct in my assumption about parts? Is the 660 gonna have the same power for big logs as the 056? I’m assuming that lightness is due to advances in technology and the power will be equivalent.

I’ve heard about those. Is there an easy way to tell? I’ve heard the decals are a little off. Anything else?
Serial number stamped near into case on top of bar mount. Many parts will have Stihl serial numbers, 064/066/660 parts start with 1122 (model #). Look at the plastics as easy to remove/check. First 4 numbers followed by 3, the type of part, then 4 more the part itself

Back