Thinking about a new used truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look for a 1992 or 1993 C3500 with a 6.5 diesel and a manual transmission. It's not the most economical option but it is the most trouble free due to the mechanical injection pump. This model is more expensive used than 1994 models for this reason. With a little luck you'll get close to 20 mpg. Can also run waste oil in it :)

I have been looking for one of these myself since 2011 but bought and blew all my money on the 96.

Isn't the 4bt in the Nissan titan? I think it was supposed to get like 20mpg but it hardly ever happen and it wasn't able to pull just a whole lot of weight. As far as cheap I think you could get a 350 and build it and maybe put a after market 6 speed transmission in it and you would have a better chance of 17-18mpg highway. Not sure how much a 6speed transmission costs.

Isn't the 4bt in the Nissan titan? I think it was supposed to get like 20mpg but it hardly ever happen and it wasn't able to pull just a whole lot of weight. As far as cheap I think you could get a 350 and build it and maybe put a after market 6 speed transmission in it and you would have a better chance of 17-18mpg highway. Not sure how much a 6speed transmission costs.
I haven’t seen the 4bt used in a titan. You thinking of the failure called the xd with the 5.0 v8 Cummins?

Wow this thread is 2 years old I wonder why it showed up with a new post on my page yesterday? That's why I commented oh well. Hey 4seasons let us know what you did. I have a thing about old cars/trucks and chainsaws.

I currently have a 1990 extended cab K2500 that handles all my hauling and towing needs. But I also have a wife and 3 kids that I take with me while hauling stuff on 2+ hour trips. My neighbor has a 90's C3500 crew cab sitting in a field with no motor or transmission. I am considering picking it up for cheap and dropping in a new engine/tranny and using it to pull my equipment trailer (12000 lbs) and still have a family plus load hauler for longer trips.
My question is regarding the engine and transmission setup that will give me the best fuel mileage and be reliable. I know that some Dodges with the 5.9 12v Cummins and NV 4500 have been getting better than 20 mpg highway so that is what I am shooting for. But I think that the straight 5.9 swap would end up costing more than the truck is worth, unless I find a steal on a wreck. I am wondering if the 4BT Cummins would be a better option and if it could get the same fuel mileage. I am not locked in on diesel though as I know maintenance cost on diesel is higher.
I know that the 350/turbo 400 combo in my K2500 doesn't come close to getting the 20mpg I would like to see. I also know that the 4.3 v6 only gets 20mpg in a S-10 so I doubt it can pull the Crew Cab dually with much fuel mileage. I know that both LT1 and LS1 can get over 20 mpg in a Camaro but I don't think they would do it in a truck that weighs twice as much. I am not locked in to Chevy engines especially if there is something that will achieve my goals.
Am I insane to think I can get 20mpg empty out of a Crew Cab Dually? Does anyone have one that does? 20 is just a nice round number, so if it can only get 18-19 that is fine, I just want to get some brainstorming before I spend money, or dust off the engine hoist.
20 seems optimistic from a dually. The tires present more friction and weight. Speed is also an important factor.

Back