Thinking of a new splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hey guys as I age I come to realize I’d rather have a machine so as much work as possible as opposed my using dumb muscle hahaha. I don’t recover like I once did. So I’m weighing my options.
I’ve been using a Ram splitter that I bought maybe 15 years ago. I’ve made many modifications to it. It actually works really well and it’s fast enough where I really never have to wait on it. My only real complaints are that there’s no log lift and it dosent have the power to do a 4 way.
I did a Google search and. Found rugged made splitters. Don’t know much about them. I know Timberwolf but they have a huge price tag to go with the reputation they bring. Any suggestions on what would be some to check out? Ideally a log lift and the power to do a 4 or 6 way would be great.
My small stove will only take a 20” log so I dont need a massive stroke. My blazeking will take a 25 but I split everything to fit the insert so I’m good. Thanks guys!

This guy runs a rugged made and has some pretty decent videos splitting.
https://www.youtube.com/user/scheibie
I also see lots of people like Back 40 Firewood running a Wolfe Ridge. I also saw a recent video on Brute Force splitters and they looked pretty solid.

I sure miss my younger days when I had plenty of energy and stamina. I wish I made enough money at selling firewood to hire a youngster to do all the hard work for me.

I know Timberwolf but they have a huge price tag to go with the reputation they bring. Any suggestions on what would be some to check out?

I saw the Timberwolf splitters first hand for the 1st time this past weekend at the Paul Bunyan festival in Ohio. They sure looked nice, but the price is steep. BTY, all of the ones on display had sold signs on them by the end of Saturday...

Like you, I would like to have a log lift. I'm not so much interested in the 4 way though, as I seldom get logs that I can really use it efficiently on.

I saw the Timberwolf splitters first hand for the 1st time this past weekend at the Paul Bunyan festival in Ohio. They sure looked nice, but the price is steep. BTY, all of the ones on display had sold signs on them by the end of Saturday...

Like you, I would like to have a log lift. I'm not so much interested in the 4 way though, as I seldom get logs that I can really use it efficiently on.
As long as the 4 way is movable its handy to have, I wish I had made provisions for that when I built my splitter. But no I made a fixed (removable) 4 way and it's more of a pain then it's worth.

Eastonmade is worth a look for a hydraulic. I just received my new Super Split electric two weeks ago and happy. If I need a log lift down the road I’ll design and build one for it.

Attachments

• 5CA1B386-48EF-4205-8596-5155E74CC614.jpeg
    5CA1B386-48EF-4205-8596-5155E74CC614.jpeg
    788.7 KB · Views: 15
Plus one on the log lift, we get tree service wood and it really helps for the heavy pieces. If you look around you can find used commercial splitters. Probably not wolf ridge yet but timber wolf, brute force, and iron and oak have popped up on marketplace by me. Super splits are great units, but they fill a different niche than a tw-5 or similar.
One other thing, make sure you get a good out feed table. It makes a huge difference and I know some models have it only as an option.

Plus one on the log lift, we get tree service wood and it really helps for the heavy pieces. If you look around you can find used commercial splitters. Probably not wolf ridge yet but timber wolf, brute force, and iron and oak have popped up on marketplace by me. Super splits are great units, but they fill a different niche than a tw-5 or similar.
One other thing, make sure you get a good out feed table. It makes a huge difference and I know some models have it only as an option.

i know the value of the outfeed table. I built a good size one that I bolt into my current splitter when I use it. It Made a huge difference. I was looking at my splitter the other day and I’m not really sure if I could add anything to it log lift wise. I do like to fabricate things but I’m kinda stumped on this one. I’m sure it’s possible but I’d Probly have to start with cutting the table off that I welded to the other side of the beam opposite of where I stand.
My splitter works good and it’s pretty fast but I got a yard full of really large logs at the moment :/

Here's how it's hooked up. There is an independent return, then your power beyond plug (I think this is an additional purchase, I got my valve from a local hydro shop so they set it up for me) goes to your splitter valve. I made up a splitter for the return hose, and got some reducer bushings for the top ports for the smaller hoses that go to the lift. I'll get better pictures if you would like. I had this one on my phone.

Attachments

• 20210330_181427.jpg
    20210330_181427.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
Did a maintenance check this morning before I started splitting. I looked at the hour meter on my Countyline 40 ton hydraulic splitter. It has 3,758 trouble free hours and still going strong. It started up on the first pull. I only have about 500 hours on my new Countyline 40 ton unit I bought as a second splitter and as a back up just in case. I have 2 splitting stations set up now so I can switch between the two as needed.

Here's how it's hooked up. There is an independent return, then your power beyond plug (I think this is an additional purchase, I got my valve from a local hydro shop so they set it up for me) goes to your splitter valve. I made up a splitter for the return hose, and got some reducer bushings for the top ports for the smaller hoses that go to the lift. I'll get better pictures if you would like. I had this one on my phone.

hopefully tomorrow I can take a look at my setup and take some pics.

Did a maintenance check this morning before I started splitting. I looked at the hour meter on my Countyline 40 ton hydraulic splitter. It has 3,758 trouble free hours and still going strong. It started up on the first pull. I only have about 500 hours on my new Countyline 40 ton unit I bought as a second splitter and as a back up just in case. I have 2 splitting stations set up now so I can switch between the two as needed.

3700 hours! Holy crap that’s a lotta wood run through that thing!

3700 hours! Holy crap that’s a lotta wood run through that thing!
Yeppers, gotta be somewhere around 1000 cords by now. I would like to know how many strokes the cylinder has made. I would have to get out the maintenance schedule and see where I'm at as for oil changes and such.
I have had great luck with it so far and I really like several of the features it has over most hydraulic splitters I have owned/used and see over the years.
I had no trouble pulling the trigger on a second unit last year.
If anyone is in the market for a hydraulic splitter, I would highly recommend taking a look at one. I paid 1,900 for the first one but got a deal on the second one for 1,700 both brand new.

Not trying to hijack the thread but maybe a few pic's would help someone make a decision if they are shopping for a splitter.
I took some pics without cleaning it up and under working conditions.IMG_5168.JPG

I like the 10'' wedge and the way it's designed.
IMG_5169.JPG

It also has 3/4'' hydraulic hoses.

IMG_5171.JPG

Kohler 14 HP 429cc motor.IMG_5177.JPG

25 GPM pump.

IMG_5170.JPG

I put a Gorilla log lift that works great for lifting heavy rounds. I like that I can split a big round and leave half of it suspended and I can swing it out of the way and work the half I split off and it keeps the round out of the way. It has a 5'' cylinder with a 3'' ram and a 9.5 sec cycle time.

IMG_5174.JPG

Back