Thinking of a taller wedge for a Super Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it all comes down to how you plan to use the splitter. The forces add up fast when you increase the height of the wedge and ram. I made a removeable 4 way wedge for my original SS (modified J model). The wings and additional top wedge were set back. (check out the youtube video)
I currently have an SE that is mostly stock and a J model I converted/ built into an SE and has a 4 way box wedge (basically 3X SS wedges.)

Last I knew the pinions and beam are the same for all models. The SE gets a wider rack. The SE has an extras stiffener on the back side of the wedge.

The beams are all the same. The rack for the SE is wider, but they stopped the re-enforced wedge on the SE and went to using the same wedge on all the models.

I got my Super Splitter a couple of weeks ago and so far WOW!
I've been cutting and splitting for 30 years with a hydraulic 27 ton from tractor supply. Never found anything it couldn't split.
The last storm felled a tree right on my log splitter and that was the end of that. I had been looking and reading about Super Splitter, and this was the opportunity to change horses.
The top of my pile has some green oak, 23-24" rounds I bucked up. It's a bear and gets stuck on the wedge trying to nip pieces off. I have the HD model with 90 lb wheels. The split in the round is as tall as the wedge and must be pushed through with another piece of wood, but still it's apt to get stuck on the wedge. The wedge itself is 6" H x 4.5" W x 3/4" T.
I'd like to just add another just like this one welded right onto the top, but I'm not getting a good feeling about that, maybe too much stress on the I beam?
I'm thinking someone here knows more about log splitters than I do and it would be a kind share to send some knowledge my way. Thanks in advanceI
Added some wings to the wedge on my home built splitter, worked well to pop the split without sending the wedge too far into the split. Then I had to reinforce the anchor at the back of the ram. I'm pretty good at telling what will split and what won't now. I rip a lot of the knots and crotches now rather than take a nice piece of firewood and crush it with the splitter.

I've been cutting and splitting for 30 years with a hydraulic 27 ton from tractor supply. Never found anything it couldn't split.
The last storm felled a tree right on my log splitter and that was the end of that. I had been looking and reading about Super Splitter, and this was the opportunity to change horses.
The top of my pile has some green oak, 23-24" rounds I bucked up. It's a bear and gets stuck on the wedge trying to nip pieces off. I have the HD model with 90 lb wheels. The split in the round is as tall as the wedge and must be pushed through with another piece of wood, but still it's apt to get stuck on the wedge. The wedge itself is 6" H x 4.5" W x 3/4" T.
I'd like to just add another just like this one welded right onto the top, but I'm not getting a good feeling about that, maybe too much stress on the I beam?
I'm thinking someone here knows more about log splitters than I do and it would be a kind share to send some knowledge my way. Thanks in advanceI
I bought my used SS back in the 90's. It is by far the best splitter I have ever owned for getting the job done fast. I previously had used a hydraulic splitter for over 15 years. Everything on the SS is original except for the return spring and a few bearings. Even the Honda motor is the original. I did update the operating lever to the newer design many years ago. I split about 3 - 5 cord a year for myself now. I recently bought a 37 ton NorthStar for the big stuff as I am not into killing myself lifting heavy pieces anymore. The SS is a get the job done splitter. It is not a wait for the ram to go out and get back type of machine. The work height is perfect for splitting.

so looking at the wedge on your super spliter it looks altered yours is wide in the back and inlles they made a change SS have more of a knife than a wedge. Mine is less than 1"wide and works better that way

Latest posts

Back