Thinking of Buying a 346 XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbabcock

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
I just decided that I need a saw to fill the gap between my 266 and this little toy Poulan 2300 which I rarely use. After reading most of the 346 posts on this board, I think this saw will do nicely. I'm not too clear on a couple of points, however.

1. Can I buy the saw from Walkers and have them Walkerize it right out of the box, then send it to me, or is that against the law or something (Canada to US)?
2. Stock, every place I've seen one, has it with a 16" bar and .325" chain. If John hops it up, will it handle an 18" with a 3/8" chain? I know the saw makes it's power at high RPM, so I was wondering about this. I really don't care either way.

Thanks

Since my earlier post about Stihl's plastic demise, I was going to ask these exact same questions. Anyone?

Hi Doug and Brad, Let me try and answer your questions since I recently did just what you suggest. I bought the saw from John, initially it looked like I could buy one cheaper elsewhere and I mentioned this to John. John replied with a price that made it unnecessary for me to buy locally and pay tax and shipping to him, it also allowed them to start working on my saw immediately, didn`t have to wait the week or so for shipping and customs. Walkers are expert at international shipping, the saw arrived quickly at my home once it was complete, for only a little more in shipping costs than for a t- shirt I UPS`ed to Dennis, and there was no duty charge. My Walkerized 346XP will easily drive the 73LG on the 20" bar that my saw came with, I have been putting it through it`s paces on frozen hardwood lately because I`m enjoying it so much. My only beef with the 346XPW is that it has so much jam, that I can stall the chain in the cut by overbearing while dogged in, and the engine just keeps on singing. It doesn`t seem to suck down out of the powerband, just slips the clutch if you get heavy handed. Guess I`ve got to learn to lighten up a little. Russ BTW, you might want to look at my post "Walkerized 346XP Redux" where I posted the Dyno figures that Walkers provided with my saw. I think it`s currently on page 3.

Brad...russ has it...its no big deal for any of us to ship these pretty little saws to you guys..and besides..when you buy the cdn versions..you know you are getting the real deal..with all the goodies...(bigger cranks..etc..)...Give John W a call or myself...one of us will be happy to set you up, with what you want or need.

That`s right Dennis, didn`t mean to snub you, thought they had chosen Walkers already. Just for the record and anyone who cares, Dennis has already done a 385 for me and is waiting for my 357 to arrive. I have confidence that he knows his stuff. Frankly, I couldn`t find a bad thing to say about any of the three saw builders that frequent here, Ken, Dennis, or John. I have dealt with all of them and it has been my pleasure, and I hope to do business with all of them in the future. Russ

Oh yeah, if you do ship a saw to anyone in Canada, don`t go Parcel Post. Very slow and apparently very rough.:confused: Russ

Russ...lol..didnt take it that way at all....and yeah, after seeing Russ' saw when it got here...I might recomend trying an alternate to parcel post....the saw wasnt damaged at all surprisingly..but the box took a serious beating...

Back