This is one of the reasons I run AV gas in the saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta love the bogus MSDS on the stuff:

MSDS: Dihydrogen Monoxide

Dihydrogen monoxide (also known as hydric acid) is responsible for injury, death, and property damage all over the world. Visit the Dihydrogen Monoxide Research Division online at Dihydrogen Monoxide Research Division - dihydrogen monoxide info, or send email to [email protected] for more information.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET FOR DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRODUCT NAME: DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE
FORMULA WT: 18.00
CAS NO.: 07732-18-5
NIOSH/RTECS NO.: ZC0110000
COMMON SYNONYMS: DIHYDROGEN OXIDE, HYDRIC ACID
PRODUCT CODES: 4218,4219
EFFECTIVE: 05/30/86
REVISION #01

LABORATORY PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT

SAFETY GLASSES; LAB COAT

PRECAUTIONARY LABEL STATEMENTS

STORAGE: KEEP IN TIGHTLY CLOSED CONTAINER.

BOILING POINT: 100 C ( 212 F) VAPOR PRESSURE(MM HG): 17.5

MELTING POINT: 0 C ( 32 F) VAPOR DENSITY(AIR=1): N/A

SPECIFIC GRAVITY: 1.00 EVAPORATION RATE: N/A

SOLUBILITY(H2O): COMPLETE (IN ALL PROPORTIONS) % VOLATILES BY VOLUME: 100

APPEARANCE & ODOR: ODORLESS, CLEAR COLORLESS LIQUID.

TOXICITY: LD50 (IPR-MOUSE)(G/KG) - 190
LD50 (IV-MOUSE) (MG/KG) - 25

DISPOSAL PROCEDURE
DISPOSE IN ACCORDANCE WITH ALL APPLICABLE FEDERAL, STATE, AND LOCAL
ENVIRONMENTAL REGULATIONS.

SAF-T-DATA(TM) STORAGE COLOR CODE: ORANGE (GENERAL STORAGE)

SPECIAL PRECAUTIONS
KEEP CONTAINER TIGHTLY CLOSED. SUITABLE FOR ANY GENERAL CHEMICAL STORAGE
AREA. DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE IS CONSIDERED A NON-REGULATED PRODUCT, BUT
REACTS VIGOROUSLY WITH SOME MATERIALS. THESE INCLUDE SODIUM, POTASSIUM
AND OTHER ALKALI METALS; ELEMENTAL FLUORINE; AND STRONG DEHYDRATING AGENTS
SUCH AS SULFURIC ACID. IT FORMS EXPLOSIVE GASES WITH CALCIUM CARBIDE.
AVOID CONTACT WITH ALL MATERIALS UNTIL INVESTIGATION SHOWS SUBSTANCE IS
COMPATIBLE. EXPANDS SIGNIFICANTLY UPON FREEZING. DO NOT STORE IN RIGID
CONTAINER AND PROTECT FROM FREEZING.

DOMESTIC (D.O.T.)

PROPER SHIPPING NAME CHEMICALS, N.O.S. (NON-REGULATED)

INTERNATIONAL (I.M.O.)

PROPER SHIPPING NAME CHEMICALS, N.O.S. (NON-REGULATED)

FORMS EXPLOSIVE GASES WITH CALCIUM CARBIDE

Yup. It's called "acetylene".

Dihydrogen monoxide:

is called "hydroxyl acid", the substance is the major component of acid rain.
contributes to the "greenhouse effect".
may cause severe burns.
is fatal if inhaled.
contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.
Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:
as an industrial solvent and coolant.
in nuclear power plants.
in the production of Styrofoam.
as a fire retardant.
in many forms of cruel animal research.
in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.

Sad thing is that billions of metric tons of the stuff is safely sequestered in forests around the world...

...and here we all are, cutting down trees and releasing this chemical back into the environment.

I'm selling my saws tomorrow.

:monkey::popcorn:

I think wild wings and dark beer make some of that hydro-butyl gas, for sure, some has escaped the posterior end of my G.I. tract and cleared the room!!!!! Now if I can just figure a way to get that crap in my saw and see how it works, prolly stink:msp_biggrin:

:monkey::popcorn:

I think wild wings and dark beer make some of that hydro-butyl gas, for sure, some has escaped the posterior end of my G.I. tract and cleared the room!!!!! Now if I can just figure a way to get that crap in my saw and see how it works, prolly stink:msp_biggrin:

Just make sure you have a non-reactive containment vessel.

Just don't let it mix with any of that hydrogen hydroxide vapor that might be present in the air. It'll instantaneous combine to form Liquidus flatulensis... otherwise known as a wet fart.

Why would you put MORE alcohol into a fuel mixture that's already around 10% alcohol in the first place?

Isopropyl alcohol is a different animal than ethanol. It isn't as acidic, dissolves in gas, isn't a hygroscopic and still absorbs (this is an incorrect term), water keeping it in solution until you can run it through your rig. I did not mean it to be used in the sense that more is being added, but as an alternative to putting acetone in gas.

Dang right. Ethanol should never be used in diesel engines. I haven't seen a piece of ag machinery built in the last 30 years with a gas motor. (Yes I'm calling BS here)

By the way, your cut and pastes do very little to show your point without either giving the full article or at least a link to it, so we know the background to which the information is being given.

Not all AG equipment is diesel for your information. You ever heard of a utility tractor, and all types of lawn and garden equipment. The ethanol was eating away at the plastic fuel tanks. Ethanol is a very aggressive solvent. And I cut and paste because I'm not a scientist and could not go into as much detail about some subjects. You don't like it don't read it. All this info is taken from Wikipedia it's nothing secret.

???

What is HHO? Same thing as H20 far as I know. He's just using electrolysis to turn water into H2 and O2 gases and then re-burning them in the torch. Hydrogen welding torches are nothing new, they've been used for years by jewelers for working on platinum.

Also, water is a major component of any fossil fuel combustion, that and CO2 gas. There's simply no way to get around emitting water from an internal combustion engine.

This is very interesting science, I have never heard of most of this stuff before.

basically the physics behind a combustion engine do not lend themselves to being able to run on water/hydroxy/browns gas alone.

basically the way an internal engine works is that the energy input required has to be greater than the output energy due to losses caused by a number of factors such as energy loss through friction, combustion and many other factors. There is no such thing as free energy and basically you are always running at a loss. The energy required to convert water to hydroxy gas to use in a combustion cycle is greater than you can extract from the combustion of said gas and converting this energy back into the electricity/energy required to keep converting enough to continue the supply, if this makes sense.

When mankind finds the way of making this happen they will basically create perpetual motion (yes there are claims it has been done using magnets) and the internal combustion engine will become a thing of the past as will coal fired power generators, nuclear generators etc. and every household will produce all of its required energy, and no one will ever have to cut or burn another tree.

Back