This poor Husky36

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartDalb

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just found this....

Look at that piston though.... :wtf:

Considering if it is worth it.....missing a few things at the muffler, the heat insulator, screw, plate and gasket,
Rest is there and working...ish :laugh:

Attachments

• DSC_1228.JPG
    DSC_1228.JPG
    885.2 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC_1231.JPG
    DSC_1231.JPG
    872.4 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC_1229.JPG
    DSC_1229.JPG
    729.1 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC_1230.JPG
    DSC_1230.JPG
    868.1 KB · Views: 83
Is it worth it? No..but id still fix it up.

Having said that i have invested over $400 into an 031av that still isn't usable so i don't make good decisions.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
I could probably get this running, without investing too much.
I don't get why people treat chainsaws like this....

I've rebuilt a half dozen 141's and 142's, and with a new bar and chain ($75 or so) I can get $100 to $125 if running like new........I would only do it if it had sentimental value, or you wanted the experience. I will saw that the aftermarket pistons and cylinders are very inexpensive and have worked well for me.

I've had good luck with limited cutting on the 141's.....for a personal saw though, the 141 is 10.1 lbs, and the 350 is 10.6 lbs.....why would I mess with the 141? or the 240? or the 440? If I'm going to swing 10 lbs plus, I want at least 50 cc.

Is it worth it? No..but id still fix it up.

Having said that i have invested over $400 into an 031av that still isn't usable so i don't make good decisions.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Sounds like my 550 project...every time I get it running, something else fails and dings me for $20-50 once I'm no longer agitated enough to pick it up again!

I think there is a song about this.....What kind of fool am I?

I have the parts to fix and I still would not fix. A neighbor brought one for me to fix and, instead of maybe causing hard feelings, I gave him the parts and explained how to fix. He left happy.

Just found this....

Look at that piston though.... :wtf:

Considering if it is worth it.....missing a few things at the muffler, the heat insulator, screw, plate and gasket,
Rest is there and working...ish :laugh:
A muffler is like $8 doesn’t have to be OEM. Ide order that and see how it runs. You don’t need a heat shield although it might come with the muffler if you get a good deal on eBay or China. The only gasket that is important is the liquid gasket around the bottom of the cylinder and the one between the carb and the cylinder. It mostly just looks dirty to me, the piston doesn’t look scored from what I can see. Does it move freely in the cylinder? Take your spark plug out and put your thumb over the hole. Pull the cord a few times and see if you feel strong suction. Give it a compression test if you have the equipment. Looks are for women, saws are for work.

A muffler is like $8 doesn’t have to be OEM. Ide order that and see how it runs. You don’t need a heat shield although it might come with the muffler if you get a good deal on eBay or China. The only gasket that is important is the liquid gasket around the bottom of the cylinder and the one between the carb and the cylinder. It mostly just looks dirty to me, the piston doesn’t look scored from what I can see. Does it move freely in the cylinder? Take your spark plug out and put your thumb over the hole. Pull the cord a few times and see if you feel strong suction. Give it a compression test if you have the equipment. Looks are for women, saws are for work.

Guess I did not explain well enough. I have the muffler, :) (English is not my first language, sorry)
See pictures, what I am missing. Would you run it without those 3 items missing?
Goes without saying I can't use it before getting atleast that missing bolt to hold the muffler on.

It feels strong compression wise, and no damage to flywheel or clutch. Bearings seems ok, without having taken it fully apart ofcourse.
Clutch drum is worn out.

Attachments

• husky36 missing.png
    husky36 missing.png
    71 KB · Views: 8
  • missing2.png
    missing2.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 8
Guess I did not explain well enough. I have the muffler, :) (English is not my first language, sorry)
See pictures, what I am missing. Would you run it without those 3 items missing?
Goes without saying I can't use it before getting atleast that missing bolt to hold the muffler on.

It feels strong compression wise, and no damage to flywheel or clutch. Bearings seems ok, without having taken it fully apart ofcourse.
Clutch drum is worn out.
Are you located in the US? You don’t really NEED them but I actually have all those parts. I have a soft spot for project saws, I bought 40 used chainsaws from an old repair shop a while back. I can throw up an eBay listing for $1 plus shipping if you want.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 9
Are you located in the US? You don’t really NEED them but I actually have all those parts. I have a soft spot for project saws, I bought 40 used chainsaws from an old repair shop a while back. I can throw up an eBay listing for $1 plus shipping if you want.
Damn!
No, sadly I am in Europe, Denmark.
I Will have to buy it from new, if I want it. Used spare parts here are very hard to Come by..
Thanks a lot for the offer though! :bowdown:

I dare say anyone that has had anything to do with chainsaw fixing in the last 30 odd years has those parts in a box somewhere!
Gasket and heat deflector could be made out of something laying about- bolts are a bit harder to find, but I am guessing there will be a busted 36 somewhere in Denmark that can donate some.
I have all those parts, you are welcome to them- but the shipping will be from even further away! ;)

Yes, those impulse tubes are a very common fail and replacement part for that series.

I dare say anyone that has had anything to do with chainsaw fixing in the last 30 odd years has those parts in a box somewhere!
Gasket and heat deflector could be made out of something laying about- bolts are a bit harder to find, but I am guessing there will be a busted 36 somewhere in Denmark that can donate some.
I have all those parts, you are welcome to them- but the shipping will be from even further away! ;)

Yes, those impulse tubes are a very common fail and replacement part for that series.
Yeah, I will be gettting that impulse, and search for the rest "used". Sometimes have luck on Ebay Germany, and buying from people who are "cleaning out" their trash :cheers:

(I have some my share of chainsaws, but I dont have that stuff around.
To my defence, I did have the throttle trigger spring, which was broken on this 36er as well :laugh:

In the meantime, strip it down, clean it up. Get rid of all the fine dust and oil crud built up inside and the saw will thank you for it, keep the coil clean and strip/clean out then kit the carb.
Looks like it might have done a lot of dull chain cutting and created a lot more fine dust than wood chips- not uncommon with a homeowner saw.

Damn!
No, sadly I am in Europe, Denmark.
I Will have to buy it from new, if I want it. Used spare parts here are very hard to Come by..
Thanks a lot for the offer though! :bowdown:

damn that’s too bad. But yeah, definitely get the bolt that holds the muffler on. Hopefully you can find something reasonable. Here in the US you can buy sets that even have your precious heat guard lol.

Back