Thoughts on my new 5100s Dolmar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fastcast

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ok, picked up the 5100 yesterday. Dealer scrapped the factory anti kick chain and installed a .325-.050 full chisel and gave me a second one of the same, like he said he would. Only had about 1/2 hour cutting with it, WOW! Started easy, didn't find it that difficult to pull as others have mentioned. Idled perfectly, INSTANT acceleration and right back to perfect idle. It ran flawless and is really impressive. Smooth, light and FAST. Has the adjustable oiler screw on the bottom. Has idle screw and easy access H/L adjustment screws on the right side cover. Dealer says the H/L does have the caps on them to hopefully keep people out during breakin period. Says they come off easily for future adjustment. It has these nice metal snap clips for taking the top cover off quickly.

Dealer says he stands behind what he sells 100% and if I have any problems bring it back. He said if it starts to get any hesitation or bog, bring it back and he'll tune it. Basically says if starts doing anything different then the way it's running right now (which is flawless) bring it back and he'll get it back into shape. I do believe him when he says he stands behind what he sells. As matter of fact when I was in there picking it up, he had a couple guys dropping of Stihls for maintenance, found that kind of ironic, they were bringing their Stihls to the Dolmar dealer . The one guy claims he has owned about every saw imaginable and said he bought the 5100 too. Says he loves it. Says he also has the 7300 and the big 9010. I told him I was torn between the Stihl 250 and the 5100 but also liked 260 pro, except the price. He laughed and said you would have to move all the way up to the 361 to get a saw you'll like as well as the 5100.

Anyway it's new and needs a lot more time on it for a real evaluation. My initial thoughts are, it's the finest tuned 2 cycle piece of equipment I've ever used, has a well thought out and very thorough owners manual and I appear to have an outstanding dealer. I'll get some more time on it and report back, good or bad. If it's as reliable and durable as it is engineered, it will be a hell of a buy :cheers:

Sounds like you got a real nice saw and have a great dealer. Best of both worlds! Enjoy!!:greenchainsaw:

Welcome to the Dolmar PS5100 "owners club".

You'll find that that the saw becomes even more impressive after break-in.

Fastcast said:
Ok, picked up the 5100 yesterday. Dealer scrapped the factory anti kick chain and installed a .325-.050 full chisel and gave me a second one of the same, like he said he would. Only had about 1/2 hour cutting with it, WOW! Started easy, didn't find it that difficult to pull as others have mentioned. Idled perfectly, INSTANT acceleration and right back to perfect idle. It ran flawless and is really impressive. Smooth, light and FAST. Has the adjustable oiler screw on the bottom. Has idle screw and easy access H/L adjustment screws on the right side cover. Dealer says the H/L does have the caps on them to hopefully keep people out during breakin period. Says they come off easily for future adjustment. It has these nice metal snap clips for taking the top cover off quickly.

Dealer says he stands behind what he sells 100% and if I have any problems bring it back. He said if it starts to get any hesitation or bog, bring it back and he'll tune it. Basically says if starts doing anything different then the way it's running right now (which is flawless) bring it back and he'll get it back into shape. I do believe him when he says he stands behind what he sells. As matter of fact when I was in there picking it up, he had a couple guys dropping of Stihls for maintenance, found that kind of ironic, they were bringing their Stihls to the Dolmar dealer . The one guy claims he has owned about every saw imaginable and said he bought the 5100 too. Says he loves it. Says he also has the 7300 and the big 9010. I told him I was torn between the Stihl 250 and the 5100 but also liked 260 pro, except the price. He laughed and said you would have to move all the way up to the 361 to get a saw you'll like as well as the 5100.

Anyway it's new and needs a lot more time on it for a real evaluation. My initial thoughts are, it's the finest tuned 2 cycle piece of equipment I've ever used, has a well thought out and very thorough owners manual and I appear to have an outstanding dealer. I'll get some more time on it and report back, good or bad. If it's as reliable and durable as it is engineered, it will be a hell of a buy :cheers:
A good dealer makes all the difference. When I bought my Husqvarna , the reason was a good local dealer. The Dolmar dealer was too far away, the two Stihl dealers I talked to seemed uninterested in selling me one. Kind of our saw is best why would you question me attitude. THe Husky dealer was friendly , informative, and willing to bargain a little.Best of luck with your new purchase.The 5100s was my first choice, but I went with the 365 Husky.

Davefr, said: "You'll find that that the saw becomes even more impressive after break-in" Dave, that's what I've heard:blob2:

Bad E, said: "A good dealer makes all the difference. When I bought my Husqvarna , the reason was a good local dealer. The Dolmar dealer was too far away, the two Stihl dealers I talked to seemed uninterested in selling me one. Kind of our saw is best why would you question me attitude. THe Husky dealer was friendly , informative, and willing to bargain a little.Best of luck with your new purchase.The 5100s was my first choice, but I went with the 365 Husky"

That's about exactly what happend with me, except replace my Dolmar dealer with your Husky dealer. I had even bought from this Stihl dealer before and still got the attitude. It's almost like there's my saws buy or leave, you have one minute to make up your mind:mad: I know they're busy but come on $400 isn't a drop in the hat, atleast not for me.

Fastcast said:
Davefr, said: "You'll find that that the saw becomes even more impressive after break-in" Dave, that's what I've heard:blob2:

Bad E, said: "A good dealer makes all the difference. When I bought my Husqvarna , the reason was a good local dealer. The Dolmar dealer was too far away, the two Stihl dealers I talked to seemed uninterested in selling me one. Kind of our saw is best why would you question me attitude. THe Husky dealer was friendly , informative, and willing to bargain a little.Best of luck with your new purchase.The 5100s was my first choice, but I went with the 365 Husky"

That's about exactly what happend with me, except replace my Dolmar dealer with your Husky dealer. I had even bought from this Stihl dealer before and still got the attitude. It's almost like there's my saws buy or leave, you have one minute to make up your mind:mad: I know they're busy but come on $400 isn't a drop in the hat, atleast not for me.

Fastcat & Bad E sorry to hear about yaws bad day at those Stihl dealers.
It's bone heads like them that give all us a bad name. I rarely ever ever lose a sale once they come in the door. The policy where I work is customer satisfaction and do whatever it takes to keepem coming back. Those that rush customers always lose just like those yaw were trying to deal with.They don't deserve your patronage if they won't spend a moment with you. I've spent hours with customers selling one saw. I like to have a dollar for everytime I've cut my lunch short to get up and help a customer. I even went as far as to go pick up one customer that was on the phone one time. He said his car was in the shop and he said he would come in when he could. He lived only a couple miles away so I got in my truck and went and got him. That sale total was 750.00 and I had to haul him and the machine back to his house. I would have done the same for a 200.00 sale and for yaw as well. I hate hearing stories of arrongant dealers that dont appreciate their customers. Yaw did the right thing by not buying from them, their lose for being a bunch of :censored:

Geez Thall, good for you! That's a lot more then I would expect from any dealer. I guess like others have said "buy the service/dealer not the saw". That's basically why I went with the Dolmar. Just had a better feeling about the Dolmar dealer. Especially seeing as I've dealt with the other joker before.

Around my area the people that do use the Dolmar saws seem to love 'em. I have never heard a bad thing about Dolmar (distribution, marketing, dealer support etc.) until visiting this forum. Most of what you hear around hear from the people that own them is: They really like their saws and just go buy one and don't look back, you will not regret it and honestly a lot of that comes from guys that have owned Stihl saws before. But hey I still think Stihl makes a great product, just didn't want to deal with Mr. Sunshine again.

BTW.....Nice looking little shop you have there. I seen the pics on the 7900 thread. If you were in my area I might have bought a Stihl. As long as you keep that pet beaver of yours in the shed. He looks like he bites!:laugh:

"Dealer scrapped the factory anti kick chain and installed a .325-.050 full chisel"
Will this have any implications on the warranty? Someone with Makita/Dolmar once told me that this would.

Elmore said:
"Dealer scrapped the factory anti kick chain and installed a .325-.050 full chisel"
Will this have any implications on the warranty? Someone with Makita/Dolmar once told me that this would.
How could that be the case?
I don't think that the chain type has anything to do with the proper functioning of the saw, as long as the gauge and pitch is correct.
:confused: :confused:

Javelin, Oooooooohio.

Elmore, why would that be? What the hell, I can't replace the factory chain?
Where's Dolmar Tech, I know your watching? What's the Deal? I'll take the SOB back right now if that's the case!

Fastcast said:
Geez Thall, good for you! That's a lot more then I would expect from any dealer. I guess like others have said "buy the service/dealer not the saw". That's basically why I went with the Dolmar. Just had a better feeling about the Dolmar dealer. Especially seeing as I've dealt with the other joker before.

Around my area the people that do use the Dolmar saws seem to love 'em. I have never heard a bad thing about Dolmar (distribution, marketing, dealer support etc.) until visiting this forum. Most of what you hear around hear from the people that own them is: They really like their saws and just go buy one and don't look back, you will not regret it and honestly a lot of that comes from guys that have owned Stihl saws before. But hey I still think Stihl makes a great product, just didn't want to deal with Mr. Sunshine again.

BTW.....Nice looking little shop you have there. I seen the pics on the 7900 thread. If you were in my area I might have bought a Stihl. As long as you keep that pet beaver of yours in the shed. He looks like he bites!:laugh:

It was nothing special Fastcat. Its my job to sell and do it well, of which I try to do both. Ya see Fast some of these dealers get chainsaw fever on the brain. The makers getem all pumped up thinking they have the greatest thing in the world to sell. Some get wise a-- thinking the guy buying doesn't know squat. They get all cocky and smart and guess what, those are the pricks that lose sales all day long and make us decent guys look bad. I learned long ago no matter what you have to sell if you don't sell it it isn't worth two cents to ya. My customers are my lifeline, not what I sell. Nothing I like better than a satisfied customer that keeps coming back over and over. If it means bending backwards so what I say, its my job. Its a well known fact one dissatisfied customer will go tell about 20 others not to shop there. The saitisfied customer may tell one to go there. Thats the rule of thumb to remember, piss off one customer you have ticked off about 20. No business can survive that reputation. So yep I'll jump in the truck anytime for anyone that needs me. It pays off every single time...........

SawTroll said:
How could that be the case?
I don't think that the chain type has anything to do with the proper functioning of the saw, as long as the gauge and pitch is correct.
:confused: :confused:
should not effect your warrenty.

Non-stock parts may void warranty???

I may be mistaken but it could have been in a conversation that I had with Dolmar Tech when I was told that. For sure someone within that Makita/Dolmar organization told me that or something to that effect. I agree...BS...but they lay out the terms of the warranty and I wouldn't be surprised if it states that any modification may void said warranty. I'll have to look and see what my copy says. It's an old one though...goes with a DCS520i...about ten years old. It may have been something that would impact the dealer who sold it. I bought mine from an Echo dealer.

Elmore said:
I may be mistaken but it could have been in a conversation that I had with Dolmar Tech when I was told that. For sure someone within that Makita/Dolmar organization told me that or something to that effect. I agree...BS...but they lay out the terms of the warranty and I wouldn't be surprised if it states that any modification may void said warranty. I'll have to look and see what my copy says. It's an old one though...goes with a DCS520i...about ten years old. It may have been something that would impact the dealer who sold it. I bought mine from an Echo dealer.

Elmore no need to look or fear. We switch out chains and bars all the time and it doesn't affect the warrany. If it did I would tell Stihl to go blow. Its when you alter the saw that voids the warranty. Say you stuck one of those wild two foot pipes on it for a exhaust, no warranty after that. Hey where you been lately????, ole boy,haha

Maybe it was about liability in case of kickback injury when using a non-stock chain with out the kickback features. Maybe they said something like..."that dealer can get in big trouble if..."
My warranty does state that the warranty does not apply if "alterations have been made to the tool"
Is the bar stamped with Dolmar? Is the chain badged with a Dolmar trade name? I don't know. I like an aggressive full chisel my self.
The mind is a terrible thing to waste or as I tell the garbagemen "The waste is a terrible thing to mind."

Changing the bar and chain combination does not void your warranty, but using the wrong mount bar could cause problems that could cause damage and that of course would not be covered under warrranty. The PS-5100 uses the Oregon K095 mount or the Windsor CJL mount. As long as you are using the correct bar mount which i feel comfortable that this good a dealer would make sure of, then your warranty is in tack. Manufactures are required to sell saws 60cc and smaller with the low kick back chain. Glad to hear you are happy with your PS-5100 as this is a very hot seller for us.

It is a product liability issue. Elmore, trust me it was not me that would have told you using a different chain or bar will void your warranty. But again using the wrong bar say a D009 bar on the PS-5100 will cause problems as this bar has a 9mm slot and the studs on the 5100 are 8mm so you have slop that could cause damage to the crankcase and this would then not be covered.

Dolmar_Tech_Mgr said:
Changing the bar and chain combination does not void your warranty, but using the wrong mount bar could cause problems that could cause damage and that of course would not be covered under warrranty. The PS-5100 uses the Oregon K095 mount or the Windsor CJL mount. As long as you are using the correct bar mount which i feel comfortable that this good a dealer would make sure of, then your warranty is in tack. Manufactures are required to sell saws 60cc and smaller with the low kick back chain. Glad to hear you are happy with your PS-5100 as this is a very hot seller for us.

Hey Dolmar Manager I got a question for you that you might find interesting. I've been watching the threads and seen all the bare knuckle praise for the Dolmar product by those that use them and sell them. I happen to sell Stihl but I got no problem with any good brand. Let me ask you something. Will Dolmar allow their products to sit on the same display with Stihl. I'm dead serious here. We have a account with Perferred Power and we got a huge showroom and plenty of money. So if we decided to carry Dolmar along with Stihl would that be possible? Ace Hardware carries Stihl and Echo in the same isles so apparently neither Stihl or Echo care if they are in the same store for sale. Would Dolmar allow or be interested in such a situation???????????

ABSOLUTELY. If you wish to talk to me on Monday to discuss furhter, I will send you a PM with my cell number to discuss.

Latest posts

Back