Timber Bear not starting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Champion DJ8J is the default and most commonly available. The DJ6J will also work but is a slightly colder plug.

The kill switch wire will unplug at the coil and doesn't make the trip into the oven, but both wires will certainly withstand 200 degrees F, just look where they live their whole life. I don't think you have two bad coils (both are tan in color, correct?) so I would be looking elsewhere. To try and eliminate the kill switch wire as the culprit you will need to remove the starter cover and disconnect the wire either at the coil, or at the switch. It is quite possible that the kill switch wire has some insulation missing and could be grounding out on the engine somewhere.

Mark
I'll pull the kill wire off and if it starts right away, I'm going to lose my **** lol. Doesn't the switch kill the spark at the plug?
I think I switched it off, and still had spark

It won't melt but will stink.
She'd be pretty upset I'm sure lol

I don't think you have two bad coils (both are tan in color, correct?) so I would be looking elsewhere.
I think some of the later 600 Series saws had coils grey in color and not quite as reliable as the tan ones. I've had a couple go bad. Yet it still seems unlikely both of your coils are bad.

You might want to try fresh mix as you noted yours is a bit old.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

I think some of the later 600 Series saws had coils grey in color and not quite as reliable as the tan ones. I've had a couple go bad. Yet it still seems unlikely both of your coils are bad.

You might want to try fresh mix as you noted yours is a bit old.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk
Mine are both tan, and I did use fresh mix just yesterday.

Pulled the flywheel off and the key is there and everything looks good. Pulled the kill wire off the switch and made sure it wasn't touching anything.
I feel Ive exhausted just about everything it could be.
Does anyone know the resistance I should measure on the coil?
Might just buy a coil for it. No other explanation.

10 Series / 600 Series Electronic Ignition

Resistance – 20-25 Ω Primary (Switch to Ground)

2.5-3K Ω Secondary (High Tension to Ground or High Tension to Switch)

Inductance – 1.4-1.6 H SW or Gnd to High Tension

Capacitance – 0.15-0.18 µf
Donor saw coil
Switch wire to ground- 5.8 ohms
Plug wire to ground- 906 ohms

Original saw coil
Switch wire to ground- .5 ohms
Plug wire to ground- 883 ohms

So that being said, the coils are trash?

I have had to replace one before and that saw drove me nuts figuring it out. I tried baking that coil. Did it for two hours like Leon says. It went from not running to running like crap. I replaced the coil and it ran great. I think I paid $48 about three years ago on eBay.

On anything like this when i suspect spark blowout from a coil issue, i take a good plug and trim the strap back and tap it down until it just about. 0.10 off the center electrode...then try. If it starts or kicks...bad coil.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Back