Timbering/Burning?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckwheat

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've been taking cordwood out of a stand that was timbered two summers ago. The other day I cut apart a 4X30 foot oak log that was left lay because it appeared hollow. You could see where plunge cuts were made to see how far the gap went.
So here's the thing. When I got to the middle of it, the chain started pulling out a black sludge that stopped the saw twice. When I finally got the log apart, it looks like it had been burned on the inside. Is there any reason why the loggers would have done this? I'm going to go back in a few days and look closely for evidence of a fire in the stand, but I thought it odd because all of the charring is on the inside, with no apparent outside opening where flames could have entered, at least while the tree was standing. The property owner is new, so wouldn't have any knowledge of a fire.

hadn't thought of that.... this would have been the biggest tree at what is close to the top of a slope. very possible.

Back