Time capsule saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maowwg

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I have a couple consumer saws. (Poulan Pro orange 220 and a Poulan Amateur? green 2550) in long term storage. They are simply emergency saws not intended to do any real work. Maybe it’s a sin but I don’t always travel with a chain saw and if something blows down and I need to deal with it, I want a saw on hand.

They reside on two wooded properties I visit from time to time. Both are very low hour saws and were rebuilt in 2020. (Fuel lines, carb etc). Neither has seen any gasoline. Tested, tuned with Stihl premix fuel drained dry and placed on deep storage.

They are sleeping on dry shelves with their little rounded black time capsule cases, packed full with a quart of bar oil, can of premixed fuel, extra chain, file, scrench, bar nut, spark plug, eye and ear protection, gloves and a couple wedges etc. etc.

They are for peace of mind at < $80 for the two of them. If I do plan to cut wood of course I bring another saw. I really prefer not to mess around taking them out of storage and putting them back.

The thought process is to change the premix in five years and replace lines and carb kit again in ten.

What if anything am I missing with this approach?

Will fuel lines last 10 years unexposed to ethanol? Shelf life on premix of 5 years unopened sound right? Didn’t fog cylinder for fear they’d be hard to start. Do I need to run them every couple years drain dry and put back? Will the carbs parts dry out?

How about run them every now and then and make sure they work. You’re just gambling letting them sit.
That’s what I’m looking for with the post. Takes time to run and drain them and put them back in storage if not necessary.

What are the risks associated with long term storage? What if anything happens to carb and fuel line parts? What’s the mechanism?

I have redone fuel lines and the metering diaphragm on bunch’s of late 1990s and early 2000’s saws (including these). Never a problem with electrical systems or mechanicals. It’s always the fuel system and I’m assuming that it’s storage with gasoline that hardens lines and metering diaphragms. How long can they sit before they lose reliability if stored empty and only ever exposed to canned fuel?

The plastic/ rubber degrades naturally. Plus you really never get all the fuel out of the carb anyway. Sticking, and or hard diaphragm (s). Degridated fuel lines. Internal rusting, bugs, rodents. You just never know. Best way to keep an engine running is to run it from time to time.

Nice to see people still looking after saws, I cant see the same happening with a battery saw!!
On the plus side there is no fuel issues but I fear battery technology changes so fast and a new model comes out every so many months what happeneds. I have a load of dewalt 18v tools that work perfect but cant get the batteries because they are old (a few years) or batteries are so expensive its cheaper to buy one of the many deals on offer like a drill an impact two batteries and charger. Crazy we are in a throw away world, glad i kept my saws and looked after them and think they will still out last the new autotune. Yes I have one it runs great but always on the lean side and cant change it, much prefer to tune a saw with screw driver and know its running right.

Nice to see people still looking after saws, I cant see the same happening with a battery saw!!
On the plus side there is no fuel issues but I fear battery technology changes so fast and a new model comes out every so many months what happeneds. I have a load of dewalt 18v tools that work perfect but cant get the batteries because they are old (a few years) or batteries are so expensive its cheaper to buy one of the many deals on offer like a drill an impact two batteries and charger. Crazy we are in a throw away world, glad i kept my saws and looked after them and think they will still out last the new autotune. Yes I have one it runs great but always on the lean side and cant change it, much prefer to tune a saw with screw driver and know its running right.
I have a pile of DeWalt battery tools here. I still have the 14.4V drill and saw combo I bought in 1997 which to me seems like yesterday but in battery technology was a looooong time ago. I use Milwaukee at home and Dewalt at work with some Panasonic

You can get adapters to run the 20v lithium batteries in the old 18 volt stuff. Even dewalt sells them. The 20 volt is a marketing gimmic based in the peak voltage the lithium pack sees during charging. It settles down around 18volts after charging anyway. We have several of the battery adapters here at work.

You can get adapters to run the 20v lithium batteries in the old 18 volt stuff. Even dewalt sells them. The 20 volt is a marketing gimmic based in the peak voltage the lithium pack sees during charging. It settles down around 18volts after charging anyway. We have several of the battery adapters here at work.
Does anyone want adapters to run the good Milwaukee 18v batteries in a 20v Porter Cable tool? Is so let me know. For the low. low price shipping they can be yours. Yes I am dead serious

That's what I been doing a d all work fine.

I would not store any engine with fuel in it for a long period of time. Maybe 6 months tops. Any longer you should drain all tge fuel, blow out the system and fog the cylinder and any bare metal with engine stor.

Does anyone want adapters to run the good Milwaukee 18v batteries in a 20v Porter Cable tool? Is so let me know. For the low. low price shipping they can be yours. Yes I am dead serious
Don't own anything porter cable, and too vested in dewalt to purchase anything Milwaukee. Plus I can trade dead batteries in at work and get them replaced.

Latest posts

Back