Time for new rings?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikey2229

Reaction score
I have a Husky 390xp. A couple of months back it pulled over really easy and took a few more pulls than normal to get it started. Since then it has been mostly starting on the first couple of pulls. The other day I finally decided to try the Alaskan mill I bought. I set it up with a 42" bar and ripping chain. Made 5 slabs out of 16" wide maple that was about 5' long. I tried this just to get a feel for the process. I shut it off between each cut. I filled the tanks and went to start it, but got nothing. The saw had completely cooled off. I went in and had lunch. The plug looked like crap so changed it. Still nothing. Gave it a shot of starting fluid still nothing. I pulled the plug and held it against the saw. I have spark. It is getting fuel. I pulled the muffler and the piston looks good no groves or scoring. A little light brown in one spot, but nice and smooth and shiny even the light brown spot. With decompression value I was around 90 and with out I was around 110. Both of these were cold and after a half dozen pulls. Saw felt like it had plenty of power when I was running it. Seemed strange to me that after shutting it off it would not restart. Is this typical when the rings a toast? Also there is a white / cream color residue on the exhaust exit that I have not seen before. Any help is appreciated.

Pic of that creaminess you speak of? Assuming your gauge is working, those comp numbers are too low.

16" slabs with a 42" bar LOL never seen or heard of that in my life. if it was running the dealer tune it's almost scary to think what could have happened. or hopefully it didn't fall victim to the limiter 4 stroking guys like to try make disappear by leaning it out. it seems the color white and the 13,000 coil are always somehow connected LOL pics would help greatly on this.

Thanks for the advice so far. I am attaching a few pictures. It was a factor tune. I run 40:1 with synthetic oil and premium fuel or AV gas. I know the bar size was a overkill. I just did it as a first time test run. They rest of what I was going to mill was 30" red oak. I had the ladder set up for the first pass, but having got a chance to make it. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I check the compression on my 372 with the same gauge and got 145. I am assuming the gauge is working correctly.

Attachments

• 20150527_165951.jpeg
    20150527_165951.jpeg
    524.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 20150527_170010.jpeg
    20150527_170010.jpeg
    715.4 KB · Views: 43
check and see if the saw has enough compression to hold it's own weight by slowly pulling on the pullrope
if not rings are stuck or bad.

check and see if the saw has enough compression to hold it's own weight by slowly pulling on the pullrope
if not rings are stuck or bad.
This would prove nothing at all . the bigger the more weight it has to hold . easy to say on small saws same compression readings less weight .on the side note why not put a new set of rings on there cheap and won't hurt but I suspect you have another problem .

Back