Tips on pruning red oak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie294life

Brush Popper and Amateur Tree Butcher
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a huge red oak in my front yard that needs to be cut back. Any tips on how to cut the branches so I don’t kill the tree, or end up with a raggedy looking mess when it grows out?

Hire somebody who knows what they are doing... I know, that is a biased answer, but if you care about the tree, and aren't sure what to do, that is a good place to start.

Start with just a few smaller limbs that are growing downward or hanging down in the way. Then step back and look it over again. You don't have to do the whole tree at once. Remove the problem limbs one at a time and stop sooner then later. Once you cut them you can't put it back. Go slow and stand back and look at it for awhile, then try an imagine what it would look like with a particular limb removed. Picture it in your head. Then remove it and look at it again. My whole point is start small and take your time. Cut a few limbs today and wait till tomorrow and then remove a few more till your satisfied.
Remember to leave that little growth ring at the base of each limb. Don't cut it to close.

Latest posts

Back