Titan 57 - no hot starts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDWill

Reaction score
Hi,
I've got a Mcculloch Titan 57 that I like for light milling, but it absolutely will not start again once hot. I'm thinking possibly a bad coil, as I've gone through the carb (and fuel lines), and it does not seem to be running rich. I've been unable to find a replacement coil. Thoughts? Sources?

Thanks for any help!

is the fuel cap vented, like with the duckbill akin to other Mac models? I'm not familiar with the Titan saws much.

You could test the theory pretty quick by getting it hot, shutting it down, and taking the fuel cap off to see if there is pressure or what. You could also check spark when it's hot to see what's going on with the Zap side.

A guy gave me a Titan 57 to work on five years ago. No parts are available. It wound up on the display shelf at his local bar. It looks rather good there. After a few beers, nobody knows what it is but they always ask about it.

Most likely the electronic ignition coil, they are somewhat problematic. If you have an assortment of McCulloch coils on hand you might be able to find one that can be made to work. The OEM parts are getting harder to find and reliability will always be questionable. Some have reported success in transplanting the electronic coil from more modern saws onto the original laminations but I have not attempted that myself.

Mark

is the fuel cap vented, like with the duckbill akin to other Mac models? I'm not familiar with the Titan saws much.

You could test the theory pretty quick by getting it hot, shutting it down, and taking the fuel cap off to see if there is pressure or what. You could also check spark when it's hot to see what's going on with the Zap side.
Thanks, will check both issues.
-Malcolm

The fuel tank vent on the Titan 57 is not in the fuel cap, it is a completely separate line coming from the tank with a breather on the end.

(pic deleted)
Mark
Nice pic, Mark! I'll double-check that mine is plumbed correctly - I remember it being a PITA.

Hello,Im Looking for a HDA-77 carb for a McCulloch titan 50. Anyone have one laying around?

We favor the wt or wj series of carb in large scale rc. At least in land and water based rc. The flight guys like different carbs. The hda series is too much of a pain to find, let alone a good working one. The wj 71 is good up to a 90cc engine and you can get it to work pretty decent on a 50-60cc depending on how it's ported. We're pushing about 3 times the power of a saw though.

Latest posts

Back