Tomato Sauce

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djg james

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I can or freeze my extra tomatoes by blanching, peeling, chopping in a blender and then cooking down. It takes a long time to reduce down, so last year before cooking, I separated most of the water and then cooked the tomatoes. Separately, I reduced the water down to about a third and then ad to the cooked tomatoes.

I was wondering if I really need to cooked down the water? Is there any flavor or nutrients it it? Kind of like boiling down Maple sap.

We can tomatoes after slicing them, running them through the victorio that separated the seeds and skins only the pulp comes out. While it’s heating up we boil the mason jars. Once it’s all hot we can. Add one basil leaf before sealing the mason jar. After frying the meatballs in olive oil we add garlic and tomato paste to the oil. Then add it to the sauce pan.

My wife does hers a little different. We only use Roma’s for this. Drop tomatoes in boiling water for a couple of minutes then cold water to remove skin. Slice tomato in half and remove seeds and pulp over a sieve and pot. Roast in a large roasting pan along with white onions, garlic, basil and the liquid from the tomatoes. Once done blend all together in a blender and add to a large pot. Boil while getting jars ready if canning. We also do the ziploc bags too after it cools down. A large bag holds four cups. We use the leftover liquid from the roasting pan as a base for a moose barley soup.

Retired guy from SE Manitoba

I blanch my tomatoes and peel then slice in quarters and bring to a boil for half an hour or longer if you want less watery and thicker .
Could add some paste or seasoning your taste while it's boiling .
I also skim the sludge off from around the top while they are boiling .
In the meantime I have my jars full of hot water and just before Im ready to jar I have my lids in boiling water for a minute or so. When the tomatoes are done I jar them and lid and put the jars upside down covered with a towel and let them cool till the next day like that .
My grandparents rite off the boat from Italy taught me this way and I've been doing it this way for years and usually keep my tomatoes up to two years without any problems.
Ernie

Latest posts

Back