Tommy lift on dump truck- pros/cons

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arborsharp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking to get a truck that can haul a dump trailer for now, eventually a chipper. has anyone ever had a Tommy lift as the tailgate?
primary pro i see:
lift larger logs up into the bed of the truck

cons:
gate possibly be damaged by logs rolling off
chips and dust plug controls?
depending on trailer tongue length, may not be able to flip gate down without detaching trailer

anyone have other thoughts and or experience?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I am looking to get a truck that can haul a dump trailer for now, eventually a chipper. has anyone ever had a Tommy lift as the tailgate?
primary pro i see:
lift larger logs up into the bed of the truck

cons:
gate possibly be damaged by logs rolling off
chips and dust plug controls?
depending on trailer tongue length, may not be able to flip gate down without detaching trailer

anyone have other thoughts and or experience?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I had a Tommy 1,500 on my 1 ton dump..everything you said is true and one other con is the 500+ lbs my lift weighed which subtracted from my hauling capacity. It had a 6.2 diesel in it that was very underpowered and a quarter ton of extra weight is very noticeable in a 175 hp truck.
With that being said the lift gate was great .. all the big rounds that wood scroungers leave behind I could easily get with a dolly and load 3-4 at a time. I loved not having to noodle down 400lbs hunks into six pieces so I could lift them ..just roll as much as I could fit in then dump‘m when I got home.

Latest posts

Back