Tool Forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Philbert - I thought you had a thread on filing tools but I couldn't find it if you did. Anyway, I picked up this Homelite file holder today. Looks like it has a chrome surface meant to ride on the top of the tooth. I assume it is designed to keep the file at the proper height on the tooth. What do you know or think about it?
Ron

IMG_4953.JPG
IMG_4954.JPG

IMG_4955.JPG

IMG_4957.JPG

IMG_4958.JPG

I believe so. The 'X' on the back probably lines up 30° to the guide bar.

I asked about the file size, as the offset would be different for different diameter files. The Forester model (linked above) offers different sizes, while the Bailey's (aluminum?) only lists one size.

Try holding it up to a 3/8 chain, in the way you describe, and see how the file sits. Should be pretty close.

Philbert

I believe so. The 'X' on the back probably lines up 30° to the guide bar.

I asked about the file size, as the offset would be different for different diameter files. The Forester model (linked above) offers different sizes, while the Bailey's (aluminum?) only lists one size.

Try holding it up to a 3/8 chain, in the way you describe, and see how the file sits. Should be pretty close.

Philbert

The "X" looks to be 30°. I don't know where you got the °, but I copied and pasted yours; sure beats my usual *.

The file lines up well with both 3/8ths and .404 chains that have been round filed with a 7/32".

It is made in Japan, which is probably why it appears to be a notch above today's offerings.

Ron

I don't know where you got the °, but I copied and pasted yours; sure beats my usual *.

Ron,

On my Mac, it is the key combination of 'shift' + 'option' + '8' to get the degree '°' symbol. Windows apparently uses 'Alt 0176'.

Otherwise, go into your word processor and look for something like 'insert character' or 'insert symbol' to find all of those ©,®,™,¶, €, type special marks. Some will change if you change fonts, but the basic ones seem to work.

Or Google ' how to insert ____ in Word'. Same thing for foreign language marks.

Philbert

Xceleite TC100 electricians tool kit. Got it today, the guy did not know what he had for the price he sold for. I didn’t even barter just handed the cash over and ran to the truck. Best part 90% of the tools have never been used. Missing one screwdriver, maybe a couple more pieces. No problem there it has the ipl and part numbers for all the tools. Bonus was a 12” Proto adjustable hiding underneath. All made in USA. The price new $$$$48D03DF3-F9A1-455D-A9CA-9A4337F976C0.jpeg31FB0427-5DDA-43C6-BAC9-95C6A5A4EDAC.jpegB93956F4-3395-4520-B25F-79FCDA4B2D50.jpeg3F2AAD6C-9FAD-453A-8B24-441BAAEAE116.jpeg56EF6447-7C4D-4F1D-B6D7-E773551DCE7A.jpeg

Nice shape! I had a brand new pair of Knapp work boots that sat in my closet for many years: when I went to wear them the rubber soles had broken down to the consistency of warm brownies (!). Maybe why they went out of business?

Philbert

A good friend of mine recently sold his house. He was my highschool auto shop teacher. I’ve done work at his and his moms house over the years. I would up getting a lot of tools for free floor Jack, okinite extension cords. I bought a 6k rated challenger scissor lift, makita table saw and toolkraft jointer. The saw will come in real handy when I start my deck job this week. And the jointer should clean up too. 9883062F-E4C1-404A-B36C-DF1BD1AE2B28.jpeg55FB287B-C343-40C0-BD3F-7DACAF7F1C73.jpeg2C6336DB-76B0-4DF2-8672-5CDFE6CF2657.jpeg719E8E0B-D7EC-4ECD-8CC5-BC9C57DFCCD0.jpeg

Latest posts

Back