Top 5 chainsaw designs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The P series Pioneers that have the clutch splined onto the crank and are REAL easy to remove.
Any saw with an outboard clutch drum. You should NOT have to remove the clutch to change a sprocket.
Saws that have the oil pump driven from the clutch drum. No more drooling oil at idle.

The McCulloch 3-25 was the first saw to feature an all position carburetor. I would not care to run one today based on what more modern saws can do, but the all position carburetor was a break through.

I don't have any Jonsreds prior to the 621 but that saw was definitely ahead of its time in terms of design and features.

The Poulan CV models in general, but the 3700 and 5200/5400/8500 in particular were very reliable and good performing saws.

The 82cc McCulloch models in general, but the SP81, 81E, and PM850 models in particular were incredible performing saws and will still be highly competitive against similar displacement saws today, even more so with 28" + bars.

I bought a Dolmar 7900 new and use it regularly, in regards to power/weight there are few saws that can really compete with that model.

Mark

Stihl 08 family, adaptable to almost any function (chainsaw, cut off saw, auger, power drill, brushcutter) and was in production for so long.

And 4 that were maybe not great, but definitely departures from a norm:
Mall 1MG / 2MG with longitudinal crank.
Echo CST-610 twin.
Solo 611 Twin.
Sachs KMS-4 Wankel.

I may be wrong but I think the question was the design lay out of controlls ease of filling gas and oil good anti vibe performance of the saw family.All the combined things that make the saw a superior tool to use sevice and enjoy.In my post I said Partn er all the way.but the 162 Husky and the 266 and the others in the two series are right up at the topThe Mukluk pro mac 700 and others in its family are great also.

I am a bit surprised nobody mentioned the Stihl Contra yet. Sure there have been a lot of exotic and revolutionary designs throughout history, but the ones that really count are the designs that stayed.
And I can speak only for European market.

Stihl KS and Dolmar CL were the first reliable two man saws that convinced many loggers to go to motorized logging imo. (I was not around then but that's my impression)
Mc Culloch gets my respect for developing the first saw with a membrane carb, a true revolution in the industry. Same for Solo (Rex) bringing the first all position carb with the Rex model.
The Stihl Contra is a real legendary saw to me. One of the saws you could really rely on to get the job done, without tinkering and fiddling all day long to get a saw running properly (flame suit on....). It put Stihl on the lead, an there to stay.
All of the Jonsereds from the '70's are a revolutionary design to me. And good looking on top.
The Stihl 08s deserves its place as well. A dead reliable design that afforded a zillion of homeowners to cut their own wood at a reasonable cost. And versatile as well for other uses.
Husqvarna gets my credit for their effort in the AV design. don't know which model first got Springs for AV, but I enjoy that feature every time I use a saw.
The 500i design may be on its way to get its crown as well...but too early to tell.

And the Stihl "flippy cap" gets my vote for the most useless piece of crap feature ever !!! Sorry for bringing that up again....:buttkick:

Jonsered 2171, Husky 562XP; both are work horses though the 2171 is getting a little long in the tooth it is still a tree killer.

I'd say the Stihl 028WB Super, Stihl 046 Magnum and the Husky 371XP. I know these are really all that old but my messed up back can't handle older good stuff, can't handle the 046 anymore either. My 371XP was stolen along with some others. I sold my 046 Magnum when my back got all messed by a surgeon, that was a saw.

A little off topic: For bang for the buck in today's saws I'm going to have to say the Echo CS-590 Timberwolf. It's affordable, saws great and makes our 455 felt like dad blame boat anchor, it's just not balanced well at all. We thought it was a decent saw until we got the CS-590 with a 24" bar.

I am a bit surprised nobody mentioned the Stihl Contra yet. Sure there have been a lot of exotic and revolutionary designs throughout history, but the ones that really count are the designs that stayed.
And I can speak only for European market.

The Stihl Contra is a real legendary saw to me. One of the saws you could really rely on to get the job done, without tinkering and fiddling all day long to get a saw running properly (flame suit on....). It put Stihl on the lead, an there to stay.
All of the Jonsereds from the '70's are a revolutionary design to me. And good looking on top.
And the Stihl "flippy cap" gets my vote for the most useless piece of crap feature ever !!! Sorry for bringing that up again....:buttkick:
I bought one of the early models of a Stihl with flippy caps, I hated them and caught a lot of crap on here until I showed them how the early ones allowed small dust particle to get down the the fuel and oil ports. You basically had to carry a rag and carefully wipe out the fill ports before fueling and oiling up. It was an early MS-250, I hated that saw.
I tried to buy a Stihl Contra about 25 years ago but gave up on the pursuit. I did just google it and found this on Stihl's website about the Contra, interesting.

STIHL Contra: The Legendary Chainsaw Turns 60​

https://www.stihlusa.com/information/corporate/about-us/contra-turns-60/

Back