ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Top of Bar Milling?

UncleMike

UncleMike

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has considered milling logs using the top of their bar rather than the bottom? I ask from the perspective of chain lubrication and eliminating the need for auxiliary oilers on longer bars? I understand there are safety issues involved with the fact that the ergonomics dictate that you'd be pulling the saw towards you to do so. I am just curious if anyone has ever tried it?

J D

ArboristSite Guru
Interesting thought... It would be pushing on the far end of the mill instead of the power head end & there would be more risk of a flying chain should it break.
Be interesting to try

Skeena2

Skeena2

ArboristSite Lurker
I have done it. It was awkward. Log positioning in the forest made it necessary. The thing that to keep in mind is that the nose end of the mill isn’t designed to smoothly run along the edge of a slab. On a cant with a flat edge it can be done relatively easily. But on a live edge the nose support will bind.

You could flip the mill around but even then it’s still weird ergonomicly. The saws trying to push to the opposite end from where you are putting feeding force. Try it and you will find why almost knowone does.

BobL

No longer addicted to AS
I've tried and agree its awkward.
The one positive is that most of the sawdust comes out at the bar nose instead of falling at the operators feet - but I got around this on the 880 with a modified clutch cover and exhaust.
Holding the saw up against the log becomes wearing.
If you let the mill ride up agains the side of the log on the outboard arm of the bar holding clamp the mill becomes unbalanced.
The bulk of the saw is below the level of the bar so it limits cuts close to the ground - not a problem if the log is raied
The trigger is lower down than when milling with the bottom of the bar so you have to lean over more - not a problem if an outboard throttle is used.
You also cannot refuel or add oil to saws mid-cut.