Top of Oak dying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txgrassy

Reaction score
See Photo of this Oak Tree. Tree was planted about 10 years ago and did fine but when leaves sprouted this year, the top branches have very few - looks almost dead except for a leaf here and there, while the bottom branches are full of leaves. What could be wrong? Anything I can do? I have numerous other Oak Trees in my yard, much bigger than this one and all look fine.

Attachments

• oaktree.jpg
    oaktree.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 13
Thanks... here are a couple pictures of the base of the tree. Seems to be fairly decent root flare showing... but I am certainly no expert.
Thoughts? How else can I diagnose root collar disorder?

Attachments

• root2.jpg
    root2.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 16
  • root1.jpg
    root1.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 13
Your first picture shows right side of the trunk dropping straight into the ground, like a power pole. This is the side with no flare that needs excavation and inspection for a girdling root.

Your first picture shows right side of the trunk dropping straight into the ground, like a power pole. This is the side with no flare that needs excavation and inspection for a girdling root.
Ok thanks. If I do have Girdling Roots is there a fix? It is the tree a gonner?

If the the tree is 50% toast, I would advise removal. I've had customers invest in half dead trees and had them recover. However it's very unlikely they will become specimens. Protecting from secondary insect and fungal attacks on a weakened tree is the challenge that comes with cost.

Back