Top + Top + Top = Worst trees I've Ever Seen!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBill

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good day from the US Virgin Islands,

As far as I can tell this poinciana(?) tree and many others in my condo complex have never been pruned like Ed Gilman suggests. As far as I can tell the trees have been repeatedly topped since the buildings were built about 50 years ago.

I recently moved down from New England, where 40 years ago I was a pretty good climber. I now have the role of trying to supervise inexperienced guys with chainsaws to reduce size of these trees for protection from hurricane damage, restore to a natural architecture, and attempt to restore the crown. I'm guessing this is a ten year project.

We are now in hurricane season and a drought, so there are conflicting choices to avoid stressing the tree more than it already is, and trying to make it safer.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Bill

IMG_3248.jpg

IMG_3247(3).jpg

Pruned many flamboyant trees over the years. They have a beautiful flower and shape if left alone and not hacked.
Let it grow out, it will naturally thin itself, just deadwood and building clearance. If you try to thin the suckering it will just resucker from the pruning cuts. Only fertilize during the rainy season.

Good day from the US Virgin Islands,

As far as I can tell this poinciana(?) tree and many others in my condo complex have never been pruned like Ed Gilman suggests. As far as I can tell the trees have been repeatedly topped since the buildings were built about 50 years ago.

I recently moved down from New England, where 40 years ago I was a pretty good climber. I now have the role of trying to supervise inexperienced guys with chainsaws to reduce size of these trees for protection from hurricane damage, restore to a natural architecture, and attempt to restore the crown. I'm guessing this is a ten year project.

We are now in hurricane season and a drought, so there are conflicting choices to avoid stressing the tree more than it already is, and trying to make it safer.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Bill

View attachment 1001084

View attachment 1001083

After Pruning 7/7/22
We removed the branches over the roof mostly by thinning down to the sprouts from the first topping. We'll revisit this stressed out tree in about a year. Some rain would really help about now.
18 W After IMG_3264.jpg

Back