Track loader

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I went to look at some skid steers at Richy Brothers auction yesterday and test them out and give them a good look over before I do any bidding. What I'm looking to do with it is to use here in my wood lot to move ICB totes of firewood and move rounds with and maybe load totes of firewood on a trailer or pickup for sales. I found lots of them to chose from but I do have a limited budget. They had 5 ASV RT 30's that looked like they had been rentals. All of them had the same hours rite at 1000 hours. All of them seemed to be in good working order and all had the same bucket on them. I did notice how smooth the controls were compared to Cat, New Holland, Vemier that were there.
I can't remember if they had Perkins or Kubota motors. I'm thinking Perkins.
I looked the stats up on line to see what the lift capcity was and it looks like there rated at about 750lbs. I'm wondering if they will pick up a tote full of green splits or should I look for a bigger model like a RT50 or RT 60. All the reviews seem good on ASV track loaders and most say the ride is better and smoother the some of the other brands. The reviews also say they have better traction then other brands.
What would the value be on a used ASV RT 30 in good condition with 1000 hours?
Thanks........Auction is an on line auction and it's tomorrow.

@sb47 I checked out their website, it appears the new models are running Kubota engines, where I work we are the Kubota industrial engine dealer and have seen very few issues so far. I recently attended a service training class and the instructor said that 75% of non operator error failures that he sees are with emissions components. I don't know anything about ASV really other than what I gleaned from their site but most all of the components are generally very similar to all the other brands, pumps and motors tend be made by about three main players.

I have an RC30 and find it to be a nice little machine. I got it several years ago with a bad track drive motor for $9000 with about 1000 hours on it. It was a very well used Rental machine. A replacement motor was like $1000 but was able to rebuild it myself for much less. The Perkins motor is a bit noisy for my liking probably much of that has to do with the lack of a rear window. Lift range is limited as compared to larger units. Skid steers lift much more than their rated capacity. The tipping load on the RT30 is 1600 lbs.

I have an RC30 and find it to be a nice little machine. I got it several years ago with a bad track drive motor for $9000 with about 1000 hours on it. It was a very well used Rental machine. A replacement motor was like $1000 but was able to rebuild it myself for much less. The Perkins motor is a bit noisy for my liking probably much of that has to do with the lack of a rear window. Lift range is limited as compared to larger units. Skid steers lift much more than their rated capacity. The tipping load on the RT30 is 1600 lbs.
Thanks. The few skid steers I have used extensively in the past always seemed to lift more then the rated loads. I think what I'm gonna end up doing is start watching some auctions and see how things go and what units end up selling for. In this auction coming up tomorrow they have 5 RT 30's units all just alike so they may go quick or not at all. There is no reserve so they will sell to the highest bidder no mater what the price.
I may end up waiting for a bigger unit to come up for sale just to make sure it will do what I need it to do. I spent several hours at there auction yard yesterday and there was only a few people there looking around. No one was looking at skid steers while I was there. I'm ready to get a skid steer for handling wood and I know how versatile they are and how much work they can save you.

I went to look at some skid steers at the Ritchie Brothers auction yesterday. What I'm looking to do with it is to use here in my wood lot to move ICB totes of firewood, move rounds, and maybe load totes of firewood on a trailer or pickup for sales. I found lots of them to chose from but I do have a limited budget.
They had 5 ASV RT 30's that looked like they had been rentals. All of them had right at 1000 hours. All of them seemed to be in good working order and all had the same bucket on them. I did notice how smooth the controls were compared to Cat, New Holland, Vermeer that were there.
I can't remember if they had Perkins or Kubota motors. I'm thinking Perkins.
I looked the stats up on line to see what the lift capcity was and it looks like they're rated at about 665lbs. I'm wondering if they will pick up a tote full of green splits or should I look for a bigger model like a RT50 or RT 60. All the reviews seem good on ASV track loaders and most say the ride is better and smoother the some of the other brands. The reviews also say they have better traction then other brands.
What would the value be on a used ASV RT 30 in good condition with 1000 hours?
Thanks........Auction is an on line auction and it's tomorrow.

That's a small machine for what you're trying to do. A tote fits what, a 1/4 of a cord? That's roughly 1200lbs.

I've heard the ASV undercarriage parts are expensive so keep that in mind. We did an undercarriage on the TR270 and it was in the area of 5k for tracks and 2 idlers. Sprockets were still fine.

1000hrs is quite low. The rental outfit must have decided it's more economical to purchase new when the machine hit a certain hour mark.

I've got 4000hrs on my Bobcat S250 and it's served me well. I've not done much beyond normal maintenance.
I believe that machine is rated at 2500lbs and I've definitely had the rear tires in the air moving stuff around.

4 of those machines is very much in your favor. Given their size not everyone wants one, so the guy that wants one will buy the 1st. It can be a great opportunity for you to get a good deal, do some work and flip for a profit if you feel you need a bigger one.

In my area the ASV are pretty well gone. Buddy of mine had the larger one I think a 60. He bought it with a bad engine. It had a Perkin's . He put a small Cummin's in it. Used it for a few years and sold it. Getting parts seemed to start to be a problem.

4 of those machines is very much in your favor. Given their size not everyone wants one, so the guy that wants one will buy the 1st. It can be a great opportunity for you to get a good deal, do some work and flip for a profit if you feel you need a bigger one.
They have 5 units all exactly alike and with the same hours on them. I suspect that company went out of business or they get rid of them after so many hours. One of them had issues like it started to creep as soon as I started it. I drove all of them and picked 2 possible units out of the 5 they had on site. The one that had the smoothest control's had a slight oil leak and the other one I liked had zero leaks but wasn't quite as smooth on the controls but both seemed like good machines. I'm sure I could make some use of the RT 30 but if I'm gonna spend that kind of dough I want to make sure it will do all I need it to do. I don't have time to try and flip it or have my money tied up in a machine I can't use.
A tote of green oak should be around 1500lbs and the TR 30 is rated at 750lbs but I don't need to lift the tote very high just to move them around. Auction starts at 8 am in the morning and the loaders may go first since the lot numbers are 29 and 32. Lot number 29 is the one with an oil leak and 32 is the last in that lot of 5. They have other brands of loaders as well. I have a friend that looked at a Cat with low hours that he is going to bid on. Used ASV RT 30's with less then 1000 hours on line price is around 26K to 32K depending on hours and condition. I suspect the bidding will start at half that unless no one bids on them.

Got my eye on 2 - 8' dump trailers as well. Both look like Home Depot rental trailers. Both look like they are in good condition and both function. One has new tires and battery.

750 lbs isn’t enough capacity. That’s what my tractor will lift, it will pick a tote with one full stack closest to the forks. Cut the stack height in half and load the front it won’t lift it.
Yes I'm thinking the same thing. I need at least 1500lbs lift to safely handle a tote of wood.

750 lbs isn’t enough capacity. That’s what my tractor will lift, it will pick a tote with one full stack closest to the forks. Cut the stack height in half and load the front it won’t lift it.
I agree that it's not enough capacity, or at least that I'd want to have more, but they do rate skid loaders differently. If that skid says it's rated for 750# it'll pick up 750 and carry it wherever you want to go. Uphill, downhill, sideways, whatever. My tractor says it'll lift 2200# or something like that. I'll tell you what though, if you've got more than 1500# on a pallet, you'd better measure the distance from the pallet to the ground in inches, you'd better be on level ground, you'd better have a lot of weight on the back, and you'd better not be in a hurry!

The 2005 Navigator I have is rated 6,500. But it doesn't dump, and that's maximum, between the wheels. Which means I have to stack rows side by side. I can not pull a pallet from a cube of say five pallets by five pallets, and then move forward to the next one. I have to move sideways to the next pallet. For double stacking I set one pallet on top of four, using extension forks. It gets light doing that at full extension. The plus is it turns on a dime, and visibility is great. There is also side shift, which for me has been huge. Just something to consider. I paid $16,500. with 832 hours. Kubota diesel. Very low maintenance.

Attachments

• dcb3c5b5-b2be-4bd3-9838-67f94f05b3ab.jpg
    dcb3c5b5-b2be-4bd3-9838-67f94f05b3ab.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 6
  • a047ef11-8574-496c-be41-aea83471c476.jpg
    a047ef11-8574-496c-be41-aea83471c476.jpg
    609.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 4ce9cd0a-e647-477e-a8f4-a93c422c20ab.jpg
    4ce9cd0a-e647-477e-a8f4-a93c422c20ab.jpg
    667.3 KB · Views: 4
  • c4f02666-948e-4567-ad71-8f420ab702e3.jpg
    c4f02666-948e-4567-ad71-8f420ab702e3.jpg
    610.8 KB · Views: 7
A skid steer will easily lift well over it's rated capacity, but there's the issue of actually moving that load.
Hard to do with the tote still on the ground and the ass of the skid steer 2ft in the air.
Or teetering.
One thing to do that on a "1 time deal" but I'd never consider it if the expected load everyday is double the machine rating.

Latest posts

Back