Tractor Skidding Winch Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
where did you buy the clutch/brake material? did it come with holes in it already? Your build has got my head spinning to maybe do a build of my own if i can find the parts easily enough.

Ground the scale off of the drum flange and apparently it's a bit too grippy!

Atleast this is an opportunity to build it stronger.
View attachment 1052403
Yup, you'll find the weak spots as you go.
I knew from the start that a single shaft wouldn't hold up so I made a top bracket to have the shaft in double shear, never had an issue with that.

where did you buy the clutch/brake material? did it come with holes in it already? Your build has got my head spinning to maybe do a build of my own if i can find the parts easily enough.
These were used and were being thrown away. They already had the holes in them. You can buy sheets of it from McMaster Carr and cut your own. Or, like I still may end up doing, you can buy front brake pads for a 97 Chevy K1500 pickup for around $20. Drill the backing plates and bolt them to your sprocket.

Yup, you'll find the weak spots as you go.
I knew from the start that a single shaft wouldn't hold up so I made a top bracket to have the shaft in double shear, never had an issue with that.
It's back together now and ready for the next thing to break.

20230128_223030.jpg

My firewood train. 😄

2 ash trees pulled out. Much nicer cutting in the field where you aren't tripping over every little fallen branch and bush.

It's just above freezing so everything is a soggy mess under the snow. Tomorrow and Tuesday will be better.

20230129_143842.jpg

Do you have any plans on putting a brake or latch into it to hold logs? Nice build by the way, I really like it.
Thanks! I do have plans to add a latch of some sort to hold the drum, but not for holding logs.

A gentleman on another forum suggested another use for the winch and that was to build an attachment that would add another pulley block 8' or so above the ground. This would be used to hold an anvil/hammer/weight to be used as a post pounder. Given I have about 250 or so fence posts to enclose a pasture with this spring, I'm going to make one.

I'll need a way to latch the drum to hold the anvil at full height.

I've been using my winch quite a bit the last few days and am really liking the method to skid logs to the winch plate then drop the chokers onto the chain grabs. This allows me to pull a log or two, chain them off to the winch plate, reposition the tractor for a pull at another angle then chain that one off as well.

Clearing tops. I'm leaving the branches in the woods to build brush piles for small game habitat and visual barriers for my food plots.
20230206_100704.jpg
20230206_145214.jpg
20230206_113726.jpg

Decided to build one because of this thread so I figured I'd post it in here. Thank you for making this thread and documenting how you did it exactly.

60 tooth/12 tooth 60 pitch sprockets
60 tooth sprocket has a oilite bushing inside
7"x12" drum with needle bearings inside
1 1/2" shaft, 1 1/2x4 acme thread on the end for the tension nut, stepped down to 1"x10 thread for nut end
130 ft 1/2" cable

I had all the steel and cable laying around except for the steel for the drum, bearings, pto shaft, sprockets and the hooks for the chain on the cable. Think I have $400 into it so far. I have not tried it on a large log but the small one I did try it worked well. My woods is too wet to get into currently and I just got it painted hence the one pic shows I don't have to assembled 100%.

Attachments

• 20230410_183955.jpg
    20230410_183955.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230410_184006.jpg
    20230410_184006.jpg
    942.8 KB · Views: 0
Looks nice, it should serve you well.
Glad we could help.
Did you do all the machine work on the shaft and drum yourself?
Decided to build one because of this thread so I figured I'd post it in here. Thank you for making this thread and documenting how you did it exactly.

1 1/2" shaft, 1 1/2x4 acme thread on the end for the tension nut, stepped down to 1"x10 thread for nut end
130 ft 1/2" cable

I had all the steel and cable laying around except for the steel for the drum, bearings, pto shaft, sprockets and the hooks for the chain on the cable. Think I have $400 into it so far. I have not tried it on a large log but the small one I did try it worked well. My woods is too wet to get into currently and I just got it painted hence the one pic shows I don't have to assembled 100%.
Glad

130 ft 1/2" cable

130 ft 1/2" cable

Nicely done!

Back