Trail maintenance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T O Double D

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I’ve been a long time lurker and learned a lot from this site. (Direct and where to go for more info) Thanks to you SOBs I’ve gone from running an ms270 to being completely CAD. I’ve now got a 261, 462, and a 193t for climbing/light work, And yes that saw now feels anemic to me and I’m thinking 201t. (I’ve got a really good Stihl dealer locally that used to help me with my first motorcycle when I was 18, hence all Stihl)

Just thought I’d post up about how I’ve been using a saw in the woods. I heat my house with wood and also cut a few cords a year for my aunt and uncle that live in Northern CA. But that’s the standard stuff... for fun I’ve been building mountain bike trail obstacles.

1402BA52-16B8-4803-AF71-3837137F718B.jpeg

I’m loving the 462. It’s got the power I need and it’s light enough for the hike in with a heavy pack.

C58EB3CC-7160-49A5-B69C-724E307185F8.jpeg

This tree was about 30” in diameter and came down a few years ago. The go around sucked. Its right after a fun downhill section and is around a blind curve. You had to make a really hard right turn straight up a steep hill filled with roots. It really screwed up the flow of the trail.

F227BFE2-A045-4979-938C-2CED0B1FAD80.jpeg

First order of business was cutting a big notch out of the old Doug Fir.

2D99BD75-0482-4686-B4C4-B0C0EE09CD88.jpeg

I’m a carpenter and used to using dimentional lumber, but for this project I wanted to use only stuff I found in the forest and scored a massive downed madrone. It was about 2’ diameter and I cut a 2’ section out of it, then I noodled it in half, before ripping it into 2” thick boards. The 462 processed the wood in no time. Unfortunately I had to carry the boards on my back about 3/4 of a mile up a steep and uneven mountain bike trail. I had to make three trips to get it all to the site. That was tough...

C1A2FA79-C7CB-44D7-94A7-AFB831F4BA1E.jpeg 769B19CC-5146-4203-89A1-79BB9C35D7F8.jpeg

The 193t was great for cutting the framing members to length, etc...

976642F7-5CBA-4123-A76C-11B98F3C9886.jpeg

This pack is awesome. Carries every you need including fuel, digging tools, etc...

93B6324F-E198-45FD-BD20-3ACAFB7F7C5A.jpeg

The final product. I built it to be rolled or jumped. About thirty riders came by while I was building it and they were all appreciative and stoked. One even commented on the madrone decking, which I’m really proud of. It was hard work, but came out amazing.

Anyway, thanks all. You’d be amazed at how many questions have been answered for me on this site. It’s been a great resource.

Attachments

• 55265A01-0092-484B-97A8-CD49D778C107.MOV
    8.6 MB · Views: 6
WOW, a Lot of Extra Work:surprised3::surprised3:, is there a reason for not cutting some rounds and rolling them out of the way?

It seems that opening up the trail by removing a decent section of Log would have been SAFER for the riders and faster to complete

Dunno, I wasn't there and you were :confused:

Doug :cheers:

I’ve been a long time lurker and learned a lot from this site. (Direct and where to go for more info) Thanks to you SOBs I’ve gone from running an ms270 to being completely CAD. I’ve now got a 261, 462, and a 193t for climbing/light work, And yes that saw now feels anemic to me and I’m thinking 201t. (I’ve got a really good Stihl dealer locally that used to help me with my first motorcycle when I was 18, hence all Stihl)

Just thought I’d post up about how I’ve been using a saw in the woods. I heat my house with wood and also cut a few cords a year for my aunt and uncle that live in Northern CA. But that’s the standard stuff... for fun I’ve been building mountain bike trail obstacles.
Wow,! what dedication

View attachment 757648

I’m loving the 462. It’s got the power I need and it’s light enough for the hike in with a heavy pack.

View attachment 757649

This tree was about 30” in diameter and came down a few years ago. The go around sucked. Its right after a fun downhill section and is around a blind curve. You had to make a really hard right turn straight up a steep hill filled with roots. It really screwed up the flow of the trail.

View attachment 757650

First order of business was cutting a big notch out of the old Doug Fir.

View attachment 757651

I’m a carpenter and used to using dimentional lumber, but for this project I wanted to use only stuff I found in the forest and scored a massive downed madrone. It was about 2’ diameter and I cut a 2’ section out of it, then I noodled it in half, before ripping it into 2” thick boards. The 462 processed the wood in no time. Unfortunately I had to carry the boards on my back about 3/4 of a mile up a steep and uneven mountain bike trail. I had to make three trips to get it all to the site. That was tough...

View attachment 757652 View attachment 757653

The 193t was great for cutting the framing members to length, etc...

View attachment 757654

This pack is awesome. Carries every you need including fuel, digging tools, etc...

View attachment 757655

The final product. I built it to be rolled or jumped. About thirty riders came by while I was building it and they were all appreciative and stoked. One even commented on the madrone decking, which I’m really proud of. It was hard work, but came out amazing.

Anyway, thanks all. You’d be amazed at how many questions have been answered for me on this site. It’s been a great resource.

WOW, a Lot of Extra Work:surprised3::surprised3:, is there a reason for not cutting some rounds and rolling them out of the way?

It seems that opening up the trail by removing a decent section of Log would have been SAFER for the riders and faster to complete

Yeah that would’ve been the easy way, but we ride hard, and if I just removed a section it would’ve pissed everyone off... including myself. We’re going for fun not safety. (But once you’ve got the skill set it’s pretty safe) We ride bikes (downhill) as fast if not faster than when we ride dirt bikes. This is a very tame obstacle for us and I made so if you want to go big you can, but your average person with a bit of experience can roll over it easily.

He could have done that but I'm sure mountain biking is a lot like cross country motocross in thats it's not always about speed but ridding the rhythm of the trail. With mountain bikes there is no motor so keeping the right speed is important to keeping the rhythm of the trail. When you ride at the right speed a trail or track has a rhythm to it and going to fast or slow messes the rhythm up and takes the fun out of it. It's also about the technical aspect of the ride. It needs to be challenging enough to keep you on your toes and improving and make it fun but not so much to make it unsafe or dangerous.

Yeah that would’ve been the easy way, but we ride hard, and if I just removed a section it would’ve pissed everyone off... including myself. We’re going for fun not safety. (But once you’ve got the skill set it’s pretty safe) We ride bikes (downhill) as fast if not faster than when we ride dirt bikes. This is a very tame obstacle for us and I made so if you want to go big you can, but your average person with a bit of experience can roll over it easily.

Your friends owe you a cold one.:clap:

Back