Trailer improving ideas?

trains

trains

Firewood hack
Looks Good Unc, not a lot to offer as I am not sure what is OK your side of the pond re modification etc.
Jib attach looks good, how solid is it underneath where the attach points are located ?, how is the frame for rust etc, do you need to cut out rot and weld in new pieces ? we dont salt roads over here, so its a different world of frame corrosion for you.

would offer that you go over all the wheel bearings, brakes, check the leaf spring eyelet bolts and bushes, and make sure the frame is sound, and you will have a reliable trailer to build on as need requires.

Nothing worse than putting lots of bits and pieces on the trailer, only to have a leaf tear out of the chassis, or a bearing/ brake fail, make it sound and reliable, and build from there.

unclemoustache

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
Thanks.

Yes, I built the arch. Works great! I was a little worried that it might be a bit on the flimsy side, but it lifted/pulled these logs just fine. Will get more detailed photos later.

Yes, I placed the arch over an area where there was good support. I intended to have a support underneath the trailer while loading, but I have to say, it was helpful to have the trailer dip down in the back so the logs could more easily come over the lip. Of course, I had some 2x12 boards which could have allowed it to slide up there, but didn't need to use them. Maybe I don't need to support the trailer underneath when lifting after all. What say ye?

I also fabbed a holder for my winch. I wasn't sure how it would hold up, but I thought I'd give it a try. Sorry - no pics of that right now either.

I did take a peek at everything underneath, but I really have no idea what to look for. Everything looked good to me. What should I look for?

lone wolf

lone wolf

MS 200T King
Thanks.

Yes, I built the arch. Works great! I was a little worried that it might be a bit on the flimsy side, but it lifted/pulled these logs just fine. Will get more detailed photos later.

Yes, I placed the arch over an area where there was good support. I intended to have a support underneath the trailer while loading, but I have to say, it was helpful to have the trailer dip down in the back so the logs could more easily come over the lip. Of course, I had some 2x12 boards which could have allowed it to slide up there, but didn't need to use them. Maybe I don't need to support the trailer underneath when lifting after all. What say ye?

I also fabbed a holder for my winch. I wasn't sure how it would hold up, but I thought I'd give it a try. Sorry - no pics of that right now either.

I did take a peek at everything underneath, but I really have no idea what to look for. Everything looked good to me. What should I look for?
Rusted out parts that look weak.

rwoods

rwoods

Addicted to ArboristSite
Rusted out parts that look weak.

And fatigue cracks at stress points.

From a stress viewpoint, I like the fact that you mounted the pivot close to the springs instead of on the tail as many do. Not an engineer so I could be wrong. Of course you lost a little lift at the tail but I doubt it will affect your use.

Blocking the rear should relieve some of the stress on your rear axle and springs, but your trailer is pretty low to the ground - I would play it by ear if it were mine.

Ron

rwoods

rwoods

Addicted to ArboristSite
I put a pair of new springs on my trailer today to replace a broken spring. I used my Bulldog jack to lift the trailer during the repair. After I was done and returned the trailer to its spot, I accidentally backed my tractor into the tongue jack breaking about 2/3rds of the 360* weld. It didn't collapse but the broken weld kept me from just straightening it. Another example of the usefulness of the Bulldog.
IMG_5550.JPG

Now I am thinking about replacing the tongue jack with the Ultimate Jack that TSC sells. Anyone here have any experience with one? http://www.future2solutions.com/ It is only a 2000# jack. I would like to have a higher capacity one but they don't make one. I doubt my existing jack is more than 2000#.

Ron

Latest posts