Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see what your saying Chipper. It fits behind the chuck . I tried it on my old 3/8ths corded drill and it does work on that one . It is also suppose to work with a 1/2inch corded drill . I didn't try it on the one I have . It won't work on a battery operated drill just corded drills from what I can tell. I don't know if it work on a corded die grinder either but I will see if it might work in the future.

So I know that some people use ball hones and some advocate against it. I'd never had any first hand experience until last week. I confirmed with the previous owner this 372 had been cleaned up with a ball hone.
View attachment 803487 View attachment 803488 View attachment 803491 View attachment 803492

Somebody needs the tools taken from them. Holy crap WTH :eek::dizzy::lol::laughing:

That looks like someone just sanded on it over and over.

Dont appear to even be a crosshatch that a ball hone would leave for a final step.

Just hit these other day before I handed one to someone to use. Some others after a quicj hatch.

p54aaaaaaa.jpgs026afterext.jpg s026afterin.jpg

Piston looks great though, and I have a jug or two on the shelf so it's all good. I just wish I could fix how ugly it is. Should fit right into my personal Husky lineup, except for that pretty xpg...
How did the rings look.
You should probably hook me up with that pretty one, just seems fitting :).

"I get asked from time to time about the tools I use to revive scored cylinders. I've cleaned a lot of them now and have had a fair amount of success. When I'm at home I use the flex motor and a mandrel, but occasionally I'll bring one in to work to do on break. "

I always waited till I was on overtime to do "government work". I wanted to be paid well for it. LOL.

When using a ball hone use honing oil. Or atf tranny fluid. I notice with the ball hone only fine dust is being removed it could be part of the piston skirt.

I don’t run the ball hone at full rpm. I jog the drill and push the hone in, then jog it and pull the hone towards the rear, making a nice even crosshatch in the bore. the ball hone I listed above is scotchbrite made into a ball.

I have a complete boring, honing setups for castiron, also for nikasil. These are gear driven hones. I haven’t tried them in nikasil yet.

When using a ball hone use honing oil. Or atf tranny fluid. I notice with the ball hone only fine dust is being removed it could be part of the piston skirt.

I don’t run the ball hone at full rpm. I jog the drill and push the hone in, then jog it and pull the hone towards the rear, making a nice even crosshatch in the bore. the ball hone I listed above is scotchbrite made into a ball.

I have a complete boring, honing setups for castiron, also for nikasil. These are gear driven hones. I haven’t tried them in nikasil yet.
Just don’t. There is no need

Back