Treated buckthorn stumps with Tordon now nearby hackberries dying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@pdqdl was that drift or volatilization? I't guess it volatilized. Dicamba? 2, 4-d?

Garlon 4 will certainly volatilize, but isn't used in grain production.

I'd say that it had to be volatilization, as any drifting water droplets would surely evaporate or settle by the time it went 50 miles.

I can't be sure, I just quoted what was in the linked articles. They identified the guilty herbicides as more volatile, so I would guess something like 2,4,5-T ester. Very hot to undesirable plants,very volatile.

@pdqdl was that drift or volatilization? I't guess it volatilized. Dicamba? 2, 4-d?

Garlon 4 will certainly volatilize, but isn't used in grain production.
What are the differences between Garlon 3 and Garlon 4 as related to cut stump treatment in the dormant period?. I have read some interesting opinions from weed scientists but I would prefer the opinion of real life experience

I cannot say I've noticed big differences in efficacy...

Garlon 4 probably works a little better if there is some delay between cutting and treating as it will penetrate the bark better. It can actually be mixed with an oil carrier and sprayed on the bark killing plants without cutting anything. It stays liquid at lower temperatures as well.

Garlon 3 is labeled for use in wetlands - which is why I started using it...we were using 4 for everything but had some stumps to treat in wetland areas so picked up the 3.

Even with cut stump treatment, if you are putting that on in warmer temps (over 80 degrees), you risk volatilization with Garlon 4 - which could impact other plants. Much lower risk of that with Garlon 3 (never say no risk!) Garlon 3 does require an applicator's license (but so does anything I'm applying professionally). My understanding is that is because it can damage eyes more readily.

What concentration/mixture are you using each at for cut stump treatment. I have heard all types of mixes and carriers. Lots of opinions and all have merit. Of course some say water others say diesel while some use nitrogen or crop oil. Are you using 2-4-D with it also? I am strictly asking about cut stump treatment in winter.

As for a applicators license that is not an issue. I have had my license since they were required and that was in the 1980's.

Just a comment here, I have cut a lot of buckthorn down, the stuff so big I can't pull it out with a weed wrench. Immediate painting of the cut stump with glyphosate has been 100% effective in completely killing the stump with no resprouting. Picloram, the active in Tordon ( in addition to 2,4D) is mobile, does not bind to soil and has a very long half life. So, it works great, but if you have anything desirable that is even remotely close by, it should not be used. Picloram will even go through the digestive system of animals and grazers and the resulting dung can still kill plants.

Its important to understand how each herbicide behaves and what the potential side effects are.

What concentration/mixture are you using each at for cut stump treatment. I have heard all types of mixes and carriers. Lots of opinions and all have merit. Of course some say water others say diesel while some use nitrogen or crop oil. Are you using 2-4-D with it also? I am strictly asking about cut stump treatment in winter.

As for a applicators license that is not an issue. I have had my license since they were required and that was in the 1980's.
Use water with 50% triclopyr amine (Garlon 3) on the cut surface immediately after cutting the stumps or oil with 20% triclopyr ester (Garlon 4) around the bark if the cuts are more than a few hours old. I prefer mineral oil or basal bark oil over diesel. Less toxic and less stink.

I had to leave a small area of brush ahead of planting so I intend on trying some alternatives

Back