Tree cut lopsided

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucy T

Reaction score
In March the utility district cut an elderly Modesto Ash, they cut branches to make it lopsided. I spoke to the tree trimmer and addressed my concerns about the tree having too much wieght on oneside and it also looking lopsided. He blew me off and said it wasn't an issue and it will be okay. Yesterday we had one of the most windiest days and the branch on the opposite side of where they cut fell off. I am waiting for a tree person to come and check the integrity of the other branches, but in the meantime, I am suspecting the prior cut damaged the weight distribution on my tree. We take really good care of these trees. We prune them regularly, we use the food stakes and they are given plenty of water. We do this because they are old and need a lot of TLC. Many of my neighbors have gotten rid of theirs because of future diseases and woodpeckers that home in the trees. Please give me some input. Thank you.

The power com, sent out a tree trimming com and they totally butchered my perimeter trees (live oaks) and they only cut one side leaving all of them unbalanced and looking like ****. Pissed me off royally. They cut way more then they needed to and cut them back 20 feet away from the utility lines.

The power com, sent out a tree trimming com and they totally butchered my perimeter trees (live oaks) and they only cut one side leaving all of them unbalanced and looking like ****. Pissed me off royally. They cut way more then they needed to and cut them back 20 feet away from the utility lines.
They did the exact same thing here this past summer - horribly butchered is about as accurate as you can get.
Looks like they used a bush hog to do, mangled ends of remaining limbs - like you said, they only did the highway side.
You know those trees are going to die prematurely and will have to come down. Who's responsible for that bill? The homeowner, I'm sure.

They did the exact same thing here this past summer - horribly butchered is about as accurate as you can get.
Looks like they used a bush hog to do, mangled ends of remaining limbs - like you said, they only did the highway side.
You know those trees are going to die prematurely and will have to come down. Who's responsible for that bill? The homeowner, I'm sure.
that is insulting to a whole profession!

Butchering is a skilled trade...I wouldn't even know where to start cutting to get a good ribeye

My trees were trimmed this year too. If you can get past the butchering disappointment they can be helpful. I spoke with their boss/dispatch and marked some trees which they just went ahead and cut down for me completely. Anything I cut down that would fit through the chipper and I was willing to drag to the pile they got rid of for me. And anything I needed cut that wouldn’t chip I just took care of. Also asked them about a huge dead pine in the back and a few of the guys do odd jobs on the weekend for cash. They quoted $800 to bring a bucket truck out and section the tree down. (Can’t be felled due to location, and I will dispose of) A couple 12 packs of cokes and a picnic table in the shade will lube all kinds of gears!

Latest posts

Back