Tree Damage From Crop Spraying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s sounds like a bad day.

I hope you took my comment in the lighthearted way it was intended.

And as an Aussie compliment.
Matt, I took it to be lighthearted trust me. :laugh: :laugh: No issues whatsoever. I do have a sense of humor although it is odd at best. I just just talked with the murdered mans last living brother Thursday evening. To keep a bit on topic. I filled my sprayer and loaded my doggie to head out to go kill some flowers, grass weeds, and trees. I got down to the field entrance and my neighbor was coming out of his field at the 4 corners. I stopped to talk and about 90 minutes later my murdered friends last living brother, wife and 3 dogs came down. Now this is at the "4 Corners" which is the complete dead end where my land, my rented land and the neighbors two farms come together. It is odd to get three folks all in the same location at the same time at the dead end. Anyway I had not seen my friends brother since my fathers funeral over 5 years ago. It was nice to visit but re-kindled a lot of memories.

As always I am late to make a point that makes sense. Awhile back I as well as most others could see where this thread was heading. I meant to make a prediction it was going to die a slow death based on huggers inability to accept anyone's advice other than what she pulled from some internet site. Now it appears she has pulled most of her posts from several threads. I truly wish her well in her struggles as it is obvious she struggles with a lot.

Oh yeah sheet I need to order another drum of 2-4-D. gotta go

I backed away from here for a bit. The anti farming stuff. Well yeah it put me off.

Been farming my whole life. Those trees looked like round up drift. Due to poor practice. Wind…..

Helicopter/planes are nearly 100 percent of the time nearly. Insecticides and fungicide. Once plants canopy they hold the weeds back.

Dicamba is bad stuff. I’ve used it. I only use it in emergency situations.

Enlist is what I use now instead. It’s better with drift control.

Problem with dicamba. And a couple others. Gramoxone is another is it will actually drift due to heat. It literally will rise up hours later and move. Just some things to think about if you use those two products. I realize I’m months late to this thread but just adding some intel

As always I am late to make a point that makes sense. Awhile back I as well as most others could see where this thread was heading. I meant to make a prediction it was going to die a slow death based on huggers inability to accept anyone's advice other than what she pulled from some internet site. Now it appears she has pulled most of her posts from several threads. I truly wish her well in her struggles as it is obvious she struggles with a lot.

Oh yeah sheet I need to order another drum of 2-4-D. gotta go
I believe she's still here reading but taking a break.

I usually hang well away from peoples yards. Judge the wind. You know use common sense.
Of course you do because that is what is what responsible folks do. Use common sense. That is why if applicable you have buffer strips along water and sensitive areas. Of course that is not always possible. Everyone's situation is different. I share 3 fence lines with a real hard core environmentalist. Her and her husband have a beautiful place that they have put a lot of hard work, sweat, and years into. I want the fences clean but I sure do not want to harm any of their precious plants. I say that without sarcasm as I have no interest in harming anything that does not need killed. There is one fence in particular that I sprayed gently this spring. It needs touched up but I am very skittish. They have a beautiful grass buffer along a portion of it that the mow with a lawnmower. Yes I could safely hit it with 2-4-D but the fence is full of grass so that really would not fix the issue. Now once I turn the corner from the property line and head west it is game on as everything needs to die and there are no neighbors or houses for 1/2 mile or more

As for killing healthy mature trees with a light dose of Glyphosate or 2-4-D I say hogwash. I have never seen it. I have trees around field edges that I want to save but when hand spraying the edges I still hit the low hanging leaves and limbs. It curls the leaves back and some fall off but the tree does not die, The low hangers are in the way anyway. I have a medium sized Cherry that the wind took down laying in a bean field now. It is mostly snapped off at the base but still has some connectivity. It is fully alive and I have sprayed part of it. The other part is still thriving. Some folks make mountains out of mole hills

Of course you do because that is what is what responsible folks do. Use common sense. That is why if applicable you have buffer strips along water and sensitive areas. Of course that is not always possible. Everyone's situation is different. I share 3 fence lines with a real hard core environmentalist. Her and her husband have a beautiful place that they have put a lot of hard work, sweat, and years into. I want the fences clean but I sure do not want to harm any of their precious plants. I say that without sarcasm as I have no interest in harming anything that does not need killed. There is one fence in particular that I sprayed gently this spring. It needs touched up but I am very skittish. They have a beautiful grass buffer along a portion of it that the mow with a lawnmower. Yes I could safely hit it with 2-4-D but the fence is full of grass so that really would not fix the issue. Now once I turn the corner from the property line and head west it is game on as everything needs to die and there are no neighbors or houses for 1/2 mile or more

As for killing healthy mature trees with a light dose of Glyphosate or 2-4-D I say hogwash. I have never seen it. I have trees around field edges that I want to save but when hand spraying the edges I still hit the low hanging leaves and limbs. It curls the leaves back and some fall off but the tree does not die, The low hangers are in the way anyway. I have a medium sized Cherry that the wind took down laying in a bean field now. It is mostly snapped off at the base but still has some connectivity. It is fully alive and I have sprayed part of it. The other part is still thriving. Some folks make mountains out of mole hills
No. I agree. I’ve sprayed trees at the base. You will not kill them. I’ve sprayed the crap out of nuisance trees. They drop leaves and grow new ones lol.

No. I agree. I’ve sprayed trees at the base. You will not kill them. I’ve sprayed the crap out of nuisance trees. They drop leaves and grow new ones lol.
Exactly! Healthy mature trees are tough to kill anytime let alone with drift or overspray. Also in this thread folks have talked about carryover in the soil of 2-4-D and glyphosate. Some feel it can be carried over into the soil and kill the following years plants. That is wrong on so many levels it is amazing!!

Those folks refuse to grasp the concept of a contact herbicide. They also refuse to understand that for many years the only glyphosate resistant crop was beans , corn was not. At the same time we did not have 2-4-D resistant beans. So a good chunk of us follow a corn bean rotation. If we sprayed glyphosate on beans this year and planted corn next year their belief would tell us the corn would die which of course it did not. The same of 2-4-D. If it carried over then how for 70 years have we sprayed it on corn one year and it not affect the beans the following year. It is common sense science.

Yes. Correct again bill. I’m in Delaware. We are using the same practice here

I have never had residual problems the following year even using atrazine. Some weeds are growing a tolerance to chemicals. So we went back to atrazine in the corn.

Yes. Correct again bill. I’m in Delaware. We are using the same practice here

I have never had residual problems the following year even using atrazine. Some weeds are growing a tolerance to chemicals. So we went back to atrazine in the corn.
I figured it was roughly the same in Delaware as a corn bean rotation is pretty standard. We are finally seeing some use wheat in the rotation now. There are huge differences in farming practices across the USA and even in one state. I am in far western Illinois right on the Mississippi river looking at Iowa. We are about 2 hrs south of the Wisconsin line. It is mostly all corn and beans with a small amount of wheat. The wheat here is generally cover crop wheat that actually grew well and will be harvested instead of rolled over/crimped. Folks do not realize how far south Illinois runs. In the far southern tip some raise cotton and rice. If you told someone you farmed in Illinois and raised cotton and rice they would think you were crazy. A lot of oil wells down there to. There is none of that stuff up here though. I love talking with folks from all around the country to see what their area is like. Sometimes we tend to only think within our area and that is not always good.

Bill

Yeah we do a fair amount of wheat here. Little barley but wheat brings more money. Deer are getting bad enough we are putting sorghum in a little bit more. Delaware isn’t a big sorghum state at all but deer don’t destroy it.

Deer took out 40 acre in one block this spring. It’s become maddening with those things.

Are you harvesting the sorghum for grain, green chop or silage. There is a little here for green chop/silage. I tried sudan one year but let it go way to long. It was basically stalk bales. There is a member on AS up in Wisconsin that was planting a sudan/sorghum/millet mix and green chopping nearly every day for his cows. He said by the time he got finished with a field the area in which he started was ready to be chopped again. Seemed pretty efficient if you have the time to chop every day or two.

Yeah we do a fair amount of wheat here. Little barley but wheat brings more money. Deer are getting bad enough we are putting sorghum in a little bit more. Delaware isn’t a big sorghum state at all but deer don’t destroy it.

Deer took out 40 acre in one block this spring. It’s become maddening with those things.
I hear those critters are good eating, especially corn fed!

I used to grow Sudan or sided or something or other. Looks like corn. Had a problem with it one year. If it’s too dry/or hot??? It’ll turn to arsenic. Or some type of poison. It’s a rare thing but I used to get my stuff tested for it pretty regular. After losing all of it I quit.

We cut it for the grain. Just a few places will take/buy it. The one I haul to is actually contracted to apretty big birdseed . Not sure the brand he supplies but that’s where it goes. I got 5$ for some last year. On ground I can’t grow anything on. I was pretty happy with it.

Back