Tree Damage From Crop Spraying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heck, that pecan tree? I could literally see a difference/shrinkage in the diameter of the trunk after contamination.
I look every day, for 30 years, and I know when something changes, or is wrong.

Absolutely the 24d is terrible they are only supposed to spray under certain conditions…
Maybe 4-trees, ya some things are damn near priceless to plant people…just like if you ran into someone motorcycle, smashed their chainsaw, etc, but it’s just a tree so they don’t care pisses me off thinking about it…and here we are about to start spraying this year….i bagged a few young fruit trees last year….if I loos any this year I am goin to be a thorn in someone’s side…

Ya I also got damage on the opposite side of my house (farthest point away from field), killed tomatoes and peppers…the **** is just gets up in the air and I forget the technical term but I will say “vaporizes” and travels MILES in the air!!!!

Absolutely the 24d is terrible they are only supposed to spray under certain conditions…
Maybe 4-trees, ya some things are damn near priceless to plant people…just like if you ran into someone motorcycle, smashed their chainsaw, etc, but it’s just a tree so they don’t care pisses me off thinking about it…and here we are about to start spraying this year….i bagged a few young fruit trees last year….if I loos any this year I am goin to be a thorn in someone’s side…

Ya I also got damage on the opposite side of my house (farthest point away from field), killed tomatoes and peppers…the **** is just gets up in the air and I forget the technical term but I will say “vaporizes” and travels MILES in the air!!!!
I hope you have better luck than I did.
My advice to you, do what I did, document EVERYTHING and take plenty of photos, take them NOW before they start spraying and then take them if you see any damage. Note the date and time of everything. Contact your Dept of Ag inspector AS SOON as you see the slightest damage. Taking samples asap is very important.

The term is volatilization. And it can happen long after the farmer has left the field - in other words, if the farmer does everything by the book and conditions change after he leaves, the chemical can gas off.

Isn't there a regulation about spraying after sunset?

Someone is spraying the fields across the road from me NOW. 9PM my time.

Growers should also pay attention to the inversion phenomena. Inversion happens when the temperature increases with the distance from the ground. Spraying should be avoided in this case as the risk of drifting pesticides long distances is high. The inversion hazard is often highest from dusk to a few hours after sunset and weak at sunrise.
https://agrio.app/What-Every-Farmer...d be avoided in,on the efficacy of pesticides.

https://www.haytalk.com/threads/spraying-herbicides-at-night.43370/

#2 · May 1, 2016
Bill, that is interesting, not sure what you were spraying but I have always held off spraying in the late evening due to stomata closing down and fear of less plant activity for good control. Many 2, 4-d products can revolitize badly and it would seem that with the right conditions you might get some things happening that would not be to you or your neighbors liking. Not sure about other herbicides

#3 · May 1, 2016
Most herbicides should not be sprayed at night, as photosynthesis has stopped, and the plants are not taking up anything. You may get a good kill this time if the conditions were right, the next time you could have a catastrophe as some products get up and move, like 2,4d. That usually happens in hot weather though.

Photosynthesis has little to do with the absorption of the foliar-applied herbicides. You are right about the need to have the stomata open, but they don't just close down at night. The dark reactions of photosynthesis continue unabated, and this still requires gas exchange through the stomata. Now here's the clincher: while the stomata do generally close down somewhat at night, that is a variable more related to the need to conserve water than to foster daytime photosynthetically induced gas exchange.

Let there be a morning dew on those freshly sprayed plants, and you will see the most optimum herbicide control possible. Furthermore, when volatility is a concern, this is less a problem at night when temperatures are cooler and the winds are calmer, inversion conditions notwithstanding. Obviously, however, the tendency to form inversions at night suggests that early morning is a much better time to spray than late at night.

I hope you have better luck than I did.
My advice to you, do what I did, document EVERYTHING and take plenty of photos, take them NOW before they start spraying and then take them if you see any damage. Note the date and time of everything. Contact your Dept of Ag inspector AS SOON as you see the slightest damage. Taking samples asap is very important.

The term is volatilization. And it can happen long after the farmer has left the field - in other words, if the farmer does everything by the book and conditions change after he leaves, the chemical can gas off.
But they still have parameters they are supposed to go by…if the temp and humidity is at a certain level they aren’t supposed to spray

Today they're out there in a different contraption, I googled what it looks like and I assume he's planting.
Whatever it is, I said, screw it. I've got too many things to do outside.

From what I could see, it looked similar to this thing:
JD+DB44+planter.jpg

Too soon. Give it at least a week.

4Amclub Dr Donna GIF by Dr. Donna Thomas Rodgers

When/if you get off without any damages, be sure to show some appreciation to the farmers for being careful. After all, they will be back next year, too.

Too soon. Give it at least a week.

4Amclub Dr Donna GIF by Dr. Donna Thomas Rodgers

When/if you get off without any damages, be sure to show some appreciation to the farmers for being careful. After all, they will be back next year, too.
He already knows how much I appreciate his efforts. I tell him every time I talk to him, and I even told him the first year it happened, and that I never blamed him for the chemical trespass.
And, I never once said here that I blamed him, or any farmer for damage caused from the use of 24-D LV6 ester.
I have always blamed the 24-D LV6 ester.
I wish you and some others would quit insinuating that I hate farmers, or farming. I have never said any such thing.

And, yes, I know it takes at least a week after spraying to see damage.

Last year, there was no spray drift and the damage was identical, nearly to the day, as it was the year it was contaminated. It was from residual chemical in the plants from the previous year.
So, should the trees, AGAIN, show signs of pesticide damage like they have the past two years, that alone will not be proof that the damage was caused by this years spraying.
The only thing that will clearly prove pesticide contamination will be from tissue samples taken by a Dept. of Ag inspector.

I am trying to be optimistic. A single day without pesticide damage is a big deal for me.

I had many spotty leaves around my home last year and maybe the year before and I live miles from any farm. I have occasional unexplained droopy leaves too.

I also do some work at a family farm. They do use herbicide and the bordering trees are unaffected with spots or droopy leaves. I cut MANY of them down annually because the continually growing branches hit the farm equipment. I kinda' wish these field edge trees would die or subside.

I ain't sayin there is zero chance the blowing herbicide hit your trees. I am saying that we share the same symptoms and my home is MILES from any farm. I have about 3/4 acre of "forest" at my home.
"Spotty leaves" is not a sign of pesticide contamination from 24-D. Neither is "unexplained droopy leaves."
No, you do not share the same symptom, at all. There are hundreds of photos posted in this thread that show 24-D damage.
What you are saying has literally nothing to do with chemical trespass.
The only way to positively determine chemical trespass is with tissue samples, done in a lab, by experts.
A Department of Ag inspector had my plant tissues tested at their lab. The results, two years in a row in fact, were 24-D LV6 ester.

You raise some good points.
They were using a big tractor with tanks and sprayer... I think the kind that has arms that extend side to side from the tractor. I've seen them use that before but couldn't say for sure that's what kind it was this time.
They alternate between soy and corn every year. Last year it was corn this year it's soy. No till and I can see the cut in the soil from the planter and the beans are already up about 4".
I went out and took more photos of the fields. they border my property on one side and a driveway between on the other. 312 acres... hundreds more connecting those properties.
I'll get the photos up in a minute
My guess is that they were spraying a pesticide and not a herbicide. Any herbicide will kill corn or soybeans. Pesticides will not hurt your trees. Why haven't you gone to them and asked what they were spraying? Then you would know. jmho :cool: OT
The photos show my guess was wrong. Definitely a herbicide.

My guess is that they were spraying a pesticide and not a herbicide. Any herbicide will kill corn or soybeans. Pesticides will not hurt your trees. Why haven't you gone to them and asked what they were spraying? Then you would know. jmho :cool: OT
Really? From page one of this thread? :ices_rofl:
Please get back to me when you've read all 66 pages (there were a lot more)

But, to answer your questions, there are GMO seed, corn and soy bean included, that are genetically designed to be resistant to a specific herbicide. One example is Round-up Ready seed is resistant to Round-up.

"Pesticide" is a term that includes other "-cides" like herbicide.
Pesticides kill pests - animal, insect, and assorted vegetation.

Your guess would be wrong.
Tissue samples taken by the Dept of Ag inspector, two years in a row, confirmed pesticide contamination by 24-D LV6 ester.

"Spotty leaves" is not a sign of pesticide contamination from 24-D. Neither is "unexplained droopy leaves."
No, you do not share the same symptom, at all. There are hundreds of photos posted in this thread that show 24-D damage.
What you are saying has literally nothing to do with chemical trespass.
The only way to positively determine chemical trespass is with tissue samples, done in a lab, by experts.
A Department of Ag inspector had my plant tissues tested at their lab. The results, two years in a row in fact, were 24-D LV6 ester.
"not a sign of pesticide contamination from 24-D."
2-4-D is not a pesticide. It is a herbicide. :cool: OT

Back